Photo

Taking Pilot (Any) or Hatred (any) multiple times?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ripplemelon

Ripplemelon

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

I tried searching but could not find anything. 

I am wondering if you could take Pilot (any) talent multiple times? or for Iron Hands chapter advances take Hatred (any) multiple times? 

I think it would make sense that you could. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you,

#2 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

If you can take something multiple times, its name in the table has (x2) or whatever denoting how many times it can be bought. 

No notation like that = 1 time purchase. Want more? Elite Advance it. 

#3 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

Skills with the (any) option works differently than multiplier "x2" options.

Skills with the (any) option all involve skill groups. These work differently than a single skill or talent like Sound Constitution. For starters, Dark Heresy specialties generally limit the skill groups you could purchase at a single rank. The rank would list the skill with a specific skill group, the player was not allowed to choose which skill group to take. For instance, a rank 3 priest (from Dark Heresy Core) can purchase both "Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed)" and "Scholastic Lore (Legends)". He does not get to pick which skill group he takes for Scholastic lore. 

When a player has the option to choose which skill group to take when purchasing a skill FFG lists it as:
"Exotic Weapon Training (Choose One)" - Example being a rank 2 Kroot from Into the Storm.

When a player has the option to choose which skill group to take for a skill but may purchase the advance multiple times in a single rank FFG lists it as:
"Exotic Weapon Training (Choose One) (x4)" - Example from the Xenographer advanced specialty from Into the Storm.
(This is how skill groups are listed with the muliplier option.)

There is no need to "choose one" with skills with the (any) option. The advance allows you to puchase any of the skill groups for that skill, the only limitation being the actual number of existing skill groups. This makes sense from a logical standpoint as well. Its not believable a character wouldn't be able to learn to pilot landspeeders and spacecraft, or a librarian could only learn one type of scholastic lore.

So yes, you may purchase skills with the (any) option multiple times. Paying the full cost for each skill group you purchase.

#4 Ripplemelon

Ripplemelon

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated. 

#5 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Herichimo, is that an official ruling from somewhere or a RAW rule in the book that I'm not seeing? Because if not, it seems to rely unduly on the authors' choice to put "any" vs. "choose one."

I mean I don't dislike your interpretation. I like it a lot as it actually gives a lot more options for some Skills/Talents than might appear at first glance but I'm just not sure if any written rules support it.

#6 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

This is simply how FFG differentiates the seperate options for selecting advances.

There is no guideline set down by FFG I am aware of. Rather, this comes from an in-depth review and analysis of all of FFG's books and the advance schemes presented in them, as well as taking into account the number and options of advances allowed. And really, the only reason this is even remotely necissary is because space marines don't have any "(Choose One)" options anywhere in the Deathwatch book to make the differentiation between them and "(any)" options.

Space Marines are just that much better, they get to learn more than the average Imperial (or Xenos) schmuck.

I could send a request to FFG rules guys if you really need me to, but I'm 99% sure it'll be the same as above.

#7 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I can't speak for the intent of FFG, but I've allowed it with my Kill-Team. They still pay the experience point cost for each advance, and, for example, a Chaplain with only one or two Hatred talents is kinda. underwhelming.

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

herichimo said:

space marines don't have any "(Choose One)" options anywhere in the Deathwatch book to make the differentiation between them and "(any)" options.

They do have one, but it's their chargen Tactics so it hardly counts.

Really I do like your reading, it always seemed so weird the other way that a given SM might only learn one Tactics skill or something.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS