Horror in Anima: Beyond Fantasy and tips for a new GM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pilz

Pilz

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm starting up a new game for Anima: Beyond Fantasy.  It'll be my first time GMing Anima, and my second time running a game.  I'm looking to include a significant "unease" factor in this game, and was wondering if any of you had any tips or tricks for keeping players on their toes.  I will be using the Mental Health rules, so any tips about using them will also be appreciated!

#2 MrNefarious

MrNefarious

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Get the group to Wonderland eventually. Wonderland was created by Shwartzvald (spell check) to show a person the value of life. Basically think of the first couple of Saw movies combined with a circus/theme park and you get Wonderland. This diabolic circus can only ever be found once by any given purpose and any attempts to find it via magic usually ends poorly.

The interesting thing about Wonderland is that it is never given specifics on how to run it in a game, the dev's leave that up to the storyteller. My GM had us playing twisted carnival games to obtain 100 "Super Happy Fun Points" from various games and attractions all while being pursued by a horrific amalgamation of Pennywise the clown from IT and Pyramid Head from Silent Hill. If the clown killed you, your were dead for good (he was a master of Destruction magic).

We ended that part of the game with the group surviving but with some pretty bad wounds (mental and physical). One character's eyes litterally melted out of her head and also thanks to one horrible game of "whack-a-mole" she nearly had her leg crushed. My character has a fear of being constrained and he was on a rollercoaster that had arm, leg, neck and mouth straps that wrapped around him. Yeah, that was a very horrible event for our group of 5.

#3 Pilz

Pilz

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Whoa…Which book is Wonderland detailed in?

#4 MrNefarious

MrNefarious

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Wonderland is in the Gaia book, primarily under the location of Paradis Paradis. That place (Paradis) is pretty much an island of nothing but waterparks, theme parks, bikini contests and fan service lol

Where Paradis Paradis emodies happiness and pleasure, Wonderland is its complete opposite. The locations to Wonderland are always found in Paradis Paradis.

Also another fun area to take players for scary times is Moth. Moth is like 90% haunted forests and the barrier between the material world and the wake is very thin there. Think of Moth as your typical horror theme forest areas of Transylvania and places of the like. Lots of strange creatures, strange magic and strange people live there. Plus it is the home of Malaketh, one of the most powerful Lords of Nightmare.

#5 Pilz

Pilz

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

Actually, we're starting in Moth.

#6 MrNefarious

MrNefarious

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Moth is a good place to start. Lots of stuff you can do there to scare the +5 quality pants off your party. Thin barrier between Gaia and the Wake, "vampires" (the Vetala race in Those Left Behind), and just it being generally creepy.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS