The Blood Moon First Impression

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

I receive the Blood Moon expansion yesterday,  and i am very satisfied with it.

My first expression is very good about this expansion.

Oke, here comes my plus and minus ratings..

+ A lot of Events (18!)

+ Characters

+ For adding the Werewolf and Lycantrophy to the game.

+ For adding Day/Night card to the game

+ Alternative Endings

+ Artwork

+ Spells

+ Chances to become a Toad or Lycanthrope

+ Enough Objects

+ Dangerous Events, Strangers and Places

+ Enough strong enemies ( some has special abilities)

+ There are chances to gain a Spell card

My rating for the Blood Moon expansion is:

9,5/ 10

Conclusion:

This expansion is great!

It has no negative factors from my point of view, and it's the best small expansion at this moment.

It has everything what you need!

There are also effects included that will destroy adventure cards on the board!

There is enough danger in this expansion!

Share your first impression about this expansion in this topic

#2 guciomir

guciomir

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

Thank you so much :)

Add some proofs like card descriptions :)

#3 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

Your most fav card is?

Enter the Talisman Island!

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

I don't even have Blood Moon yet, but since it's back Horrible Black Void for me . Finally Talisman is back being Talisman.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hey Guys,

I was doing a solo game with the Blood Moon expansion, and have choose the fortune knight as my character.

My goal was to make yourself as strong as possible within a hour, and defeat the Ice Queen.

I drew some nice cards, as the corpse collector, who let you draw the top 8 cards, and all enemies are placed on his card and become trophies.

each visit you can take a trophy from him.

Another nice card is the balefire dragon. He has a strength of 7, and a breath ability, that says that you must roll 2 dice, and if you roll equal or highter than your craft, all cards in his region are discarded.

So that was the case, and it has clean the whole outer region in my game.

My fortune Knight plays pretty good. I have use some of elliot abilities, like the trade a trophy for 2 gold, which makes him very interesting, and more easily to heal.

But he did not finish the game within a hour, because when he has only 2 lives left, he drew some cards that makes a very dangerous combo!!

Oke, here it is:

There was a lunar event, which is the pumpkin king.

First, it becomes night, which makes enemies a + 1 to the attack roll.

Second, it has the text that change all field spaces into a + 3 draw space.

There was also a headless horseman on the board, that follows you at the end of your movement.

So he was placed on my field space, because i landed there.

The Fortune Knight (who has 2 lives) must draw 2 more cards because of the pumpkin event.

He drew sepulchre spectre and a magic object.

The sepulchre spectre says that all spirits in every region move to his space, and there was a vampire prince on the board.

So the vampire prince ( a very deadly enemy) joins the other enemy's

The fortune knight must fight now against combined enemies of craft 13 + they add 1 to the attack roll because it is night.

I lose the combat, and because the Fortune knight has no followers, the vampire prince let's you lose a additional life, that has kill the Fortune Knight!

It was a nice solo game of 50 minutes..

The werewolf has only encounter my character one time, because of the wolfwood place.

I have only played with the mainboard. The reaper was also included, which makes it very dangerous

Greetings,

Velhart 

PS: I almost forgot to mention this, but this expansion has very strong weapons!

The Hammer of light and the Doomsword add + 3 in battle.

The Hammer of light gives + 3 during the day, otherwise a 1.

And the blood sword gives + 3, but if you roll a 1, then you are automatically defeated.

#6 Windyhead

Windyhead

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

It seems that expansion is great!

+3 weapon is great and epic

Solo game probably interesting, i will try it!

#7 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Nemomon said:

Your most fav card is?

Hi Nemo,

There are a lot of cool cards in this expansion.

I need to get a good look, to make my top 10 cards or something..

I will answer the question later:)

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

Very cool cards in this expansion are:

Spoilers !

Hammer Of light ( weapon) add 1 to your strength ( if it is day, add 3 to your strength)

Night of the Pumpkin King (lunar event)  all fields become a draw 3 card space)

Phantom: draw 8 cards and put all followers on this card. each visit you may take a follower.

Witch Finder: draw one more card if it is not a enemy.

Disciple of Darkness ( during the Night, it has a wand effect)

Wolf Slayer: no good character may have the wolf slayer ( if it is day, add 2 to your strength. if it night add 2 to your craft.

Night shroud. If it is night, you may evade any creature or character

Pharaoh crown. ( this has a Fortune Knight fate effect.  ( you can use it in battle AND in psychic combat, and it is free. Great card!

Living doll. You must ditch your object. Go to city to get rid of it.

Fright Night. You must end your movement on the first enemy you move too ( or something like that:)

Children of the night. You must draw a extra card

Wall of Fire. end your movement on this space. If you don't have a talisman, lose 1 life.

Shadow Dagger: Add 1 craft?.   (If it is Night add 3 to your craft.)

Doom Sword: Add 3 to your strength. If you roll a 1, then you are automatically defeated.

Hunger Artifact. object)  discard all adventure cards on your space ( a board cleaner)

Cairn Caretaker: discard any of your trophies to gain 1 strength or craft.

Gypsy Caravan:  Pay 3 gold ( day, gain 1 strength   ( Night, gain 1 craft. After that, move it clockwise with rolling 1 die…

Corpse Collector:  draw 8 cards, and place the enemies  on this card as trophies. each visit, gain a trophy

Restless Dead, Take al trophies from all characters, and shuffle them. Starting with your turn, and continie clockwise, place 1 enemy face up in each space, until all cards have been place. then discard this card. 

Night stalker strength 5.   If you are defeated during the Night, then it becomes a follower., You lose 1 life every turn! discard this card when day breaks.

Peasant Mob: If you are a Lycantrophe, you are killed!  If you are not a lycantrophe, you move the peasnat mob to any space with an adventure card, then discard all other cards on that space.

Headless horseman craft 3. If you are defeated, the horse man will move to your space at the end of your movement next turn

#9 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Over the weekend, I managed to play 3 games with my wife, using Blood Moon. The first game ended abruptly after my wife was toadifyed and decided she could not play anymore. There was not much very remarkable with this game; we tended to forget the day/night + or - 1 thing.

We did, however, add a red dice and a white dice and whenever we roll 1, we use those for WW and Reaper. So that worked pretty good. We made no other alterations or house rules, but we talked about a change for the Reaper's movement: During Night, each player (both in our case) gets to move the Reaper on their turn, rather than on a roll of 1 : Deaths Moves by Night! we might try this in the future, but I can see where it could be toooo many moves for Death.

On the subsequent games, my wife got to play Vampire Hunter, each time. (we select our character from 7 cards) In the third game we had the most fun; collected the most objects or things.

No WW or Death ever got close enough. I was the Minstrel in the last game which I thought worked well with all the Dragons. We had one Lunar event that went on for a number of turns, but it managed to make us tougher.

We both like Blood Moon and felt the mix of these cards with the existing deck was more than adequate. The Night Day dynamic really does add a lot in our opinion.  Its subtle but the scales from Dragon, combined with some Lunar / Night affects can change the game a little. I don't remember exactly but a scale on a space, that blocked its normal use, kinda thing. and/or combined with a new 'place' card.

Hey, Velhart, I was waiting all game for either the Sepulchre or Harvest card (pull 3 in the fields?) to show up.

My wife kept getting upset with me because I will opt for a Dragon deck card, and I kept getting Warriors, Acolytes and Druids that I could not beat, were on a spot with a scale, possibly another card there, and also text/space encounters (Black Knight was one).

But I like leaving options, heheheheh!

- oberon

#10 guciomir

guciomir

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

What Harvest and Direwolf monsters do ? Are there any new enemies with nice abilities like Sepulchre?

#11 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

guciomir said:

What Harvest and Direwolf monsters do ? Are there any new enemies with nice abilities like Sepulchre?

Harvest doesn't have any ability, If You are defeated by a Direwolf, You become a Lycanthrope.

Enter the Talisman Island!

#12 Froman

Froman

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

I just got the expansion last Friday and managed to squeak in four - four people games. GREAT expansion with very good cards and characters. love the rules additions - werewolf and lunar events!

#13 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Velhart said:

I receive the Blood Moon expansion yesterday,  and i am very satisfied with it.

My first expression is very good about this expansion.

Oke, here comes my plus and minus ratings..

+ A lot of Events (18!)

+ Characters

+ For adding the Werewolf and Lycantrophy to the game.

+ For adding Day/Night card to the game

+ Alternative Endings

+ Artwork

+ Spells

+ Chances to become a Toad or Lycanthrope

+ Enough Objects

+ Dangerous Events, Strangers and Places

+ Enough strong enemies ( some has special abilities)

+ There are chances to gain a Spell card

My rating for the Blood Moon expansion is:

9,5/ 10

Conclusion:

This expansion is great!

It has no negative factors from my point of view, and it's the best small expansion at this moment.

It has everything what you need!

There are also effects included that will destroy adventure cards on the board!

There is enough danger in this expansion!

Share your first impression about this expansion in this topic

I agree, we just played it the first time (4 players) and all of us liked it very much, definitely one of the top expansions!

- No (very) unbalanced characters

- Day/night and Lunar events is a good addition that doesn't change the game too much (like the dragon exp…)

- Horrible black void!!! Adds so much fun to hidden ending variant (our favorite) (still missing official CoC and Reaper ending-cards though, printed ones are easily recognized =/ )

#14 Cub2serve

Cub2serve

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Overall my group liked the expansion.  It added alot more fun weapons, events and enemies.  My only negative feeling about it is that it seemed becoming a werewolf helped more than hurt a player.  Maybe we just didn't get to a specific card or something, but there was no drawback to being a werewolf.  It actually increases your attack rolls.  My group came up with two thoughts.  One, when you become a werewolf (because it turns to night) you drop everything on the space you're at.  It doesn't make sense that the werewolf would carry gold or objecst or have followers. This wouldn't be a horrible event as you could still gain strength and craft, even easier since you get a +2 bonus to your attack rolls. Two, if you reach the Crown of Command as a werewolf, you perish.  Again, what would an unthinking werewolf want with a crown and it could be thought that the crown can't be worn by a creature of pure instinct, therefore it destroys him.  These were just our thoughts.  The adverstising made it seem like it's really bad to become a werewolf, but we never ran into anything that hurt us as being a werewolf.  Though our group did say it would be great to see a vampire lord  release where you could become a vampire and try and turn other players into vampires.  The game could be lost if all players become vampires.

#15 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

Just a small addition to the Lycanthrope card makes it a tad more challenging…

Righ click, save target as. It is 300dpi and much bigger :)

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#16 Cub2serve

Cub2serve

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Agree, that would indeed make it more challenging. It would be like the character was tired the day after turning into a werewolf. 

#17 Windyhead

Windyhead

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

There is no need to make werewolf weaker.

Cursed characters have a choice to use they strength in the night, or hide until sun rise again.
For the good and neutral characters it might be a difficult choice, however the evil characters attacking others, always have a chance to make one more challenging monster.
I am still waiting my copy, like most Russian players  :(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS