• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

#2 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Very cool! Man, you don't want to be caught in that Flamm-Luther's blast. It's the same damage as the Fireball, only with a little less range. Plus it's got Assault for a nasty surprise…

Analyzing what you get for the 9 points you spend to upgrade the Wotan to the Armor 6 AR version, as opposed to Armor 5:

- None of the phasers can hurt you anymore.

- Napalm throwers have a different damage, but it effectively changes nothing. It's the exact same one-hit-kill.

And that is it, really, when attacked by the Allies. The ONLY advantage you get is Phaser-imperviousness.

Against the few SSU units we know, the only difference is a substancial difference against the KV-47's howitzer and sulfur jet. Howitzer is 1/1 instead of 2/1 and sulfer jet is 1/4 instead of 1/kill.

So all in all, I'd say it doesn't seem quite worth the extra 9AP, which is a pity cause I think the AR version looks much better.

#3 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

I agree about the Wotan vs ar version, I was hopeing for damage resillient on the ar but the flamme luther exceeded my expectactions.

#4 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

These look so awesome! Can't wait to pick them up.

#5 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Dakkon426 said:

I agree about the Wotan vs ar version, I was hopeing for damage resillient on the ar but the flamme luther exceeded my expectactions.

Yeah, I was expecting DR as well, though that would be REALLY powerful. I think extra Health would have been more useful.

#6 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

Apart from serving as a hvy walker destroyer Wotan seems a bit over priced in my opinion.

#7 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Lska said:

Apart from serving as a hvy walker destroyer Wotan seems a bit over priced in my opinion.

Dunno, it can eat up any walker with those lasers and its greater longevity.

#8 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Interesting to see a range of 10 intstead of U.

I wonder if that will be the trend going forward, or if this is a special case.

#9 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

It's funny, cause range 10 is something that was introduced by Dust-Models with their cards for the Ryu and the Barking Dog. It seems FFG just went along with it with the Wotan, which is little more than a Ryu variant.

I think it makes a lot of sense for the laser, since the Hermann's heavy laser has quite a range limitation (from an axis pov).

#10 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yeah - with that range though it's about as good as U most of the time.  And with a sustained attack, you're looking at decent odds of doing 6+ damage vs a walker - that's kind of crazy.

#11 daniello_s

daniello_s

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Flamm -Luther is nice - Assault, Range 2xFlamer and 6 Health for 51? Count me in :D

On the other hand I'm disappointed a bit with both Wotan variants.

Normal costs 58, is tougher and has 6 Health which is nice but the weapon… Range 10 is OK but the rate of fire 2/3 against walkers is not great for this points. I would prefer 3/2 so you have better chance to hit an enemy walker.

And upgraded Wotan is IMO a total mistake. 9 points more for extra health? No, thank you.

Conclusion:

Is it worthy to buy a this box? For Flamme-Luther - definitely. Wotan variant is rather fancy stuff. Instead of fielding him I would rather take Ludwig and for bigger games Konig's-Luther.

PS. Dakkon - when r u going to update your army builder? :D

#12 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

when all new unit cards are out ill rellease an update.

#13 asbestos

asbestos

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Loophole Master said:

- None of the phasers can hurt you anymore.

I'd wager that the upcoming Cobra changes that.

#14 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

daniello_s said:

Range 10 is OK but the rate of fire 2/3 against walkers is not great for this points. I would prefer 3/2 so you have better chance to hit an enemy walker.

But don't forget that it's a laser, so it can potentially do a lot more damage.

And I agree, the Cobra's phaser will surely be able to damage the heavier walkers.

#15 Bartali

Bartali

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Loophole Master said:

It's funny, cause range 10 is something that was introduced by Dust-Models with their cards for the Ryu and the Barking Dog. It seems FFG just went along with it with the Wotan, which is little more than a Ryu variant.

I think it makes a lot of sense for the laser, since the Hermann's heavy laser has quite a range limitation (from an axis pov).

I thought Dust Studio/Models designed the rules for Tactics , with FFG distributing ? As opposed to Warfare where FFG do both

#16 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

IMO Ludwig beats the wotan and costs 1/3 less…. I just don't thnik 2 dices are relaiable… On the other hand against more than 4 armor it can be more usefull

#17 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Lska said:

IMO Ludwig beats the wotan and costs 1/3 less…. I just don't thnik 2 dices are relaiable… On the other hand against more than 4 armor it can be more usefull

I've used Ryu and the 2 dice with 3 damage work pretty good especially if you can get a sustained attack.

#18 golem101

golem101

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

Is it just me, or do the new legs for the Axis walkers actually look really "spindly"? There seems to be something off, comparing them to the older crouched pose…

#19 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Nope, big fat body on skinny legs just look all wrong, I intend swapping legs with another walker, probably Loths.

#20 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Bartali said:

Loophole Master said:

I thought Dust Studio/Models designed the rules for Tactics , with FFG distributing ? As opposed to Warfare where FFG do both

Youre correct, Paolo and team still design the game.  FFG publishes and distributes (and organizes play).  Though I'm sure FFG probably has some design input

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS