Photo

So…any thoughts on the new Stormtalon gunship, anyone?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Here is an image of the new plastic space marine gunship… What do you think?

#2 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

Lightbringer said:

What do you think?

I nearly fell out of my seat laughing the first time I saw it.

I wonder about GW's design staff.

#3 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Someone has been playing sillybuggers with that pic:- 

Sallright.

#4 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

AluminiumWolf said:

Someone has been playing sillybuggers with that pic:- 

Sallright.

I had seen the pic you posted first.

I'm just saying that someone over there either has a thing for Super Deformed style mecha and is imposing their will, or any sense of proportion and balance has been tossed out the window in the design studio.

IMO, it's just the latest laughably bad design in a string of bad designs. 

Landing gear hanging off of a huge under-nose turret……..really?

#5 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

The mighty flying goldfish?

It looks ridiculous.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#6 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

H.B.M.C. said:

The mighty flying goldfish?

It looks ridiculous.

BYE

That's it!

I couldn't place what it looked like.

It looks like an armed and armored goldfish cracker!

#7 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

My local game store staff are pretty good at talking up the product. It helps that they're cool guys and their store is known (internally) as one of the best ran in GW North America.

I think they're going to have trouble with this one, though. If it's a flop I think they'll just quetly stick a couple in a corner somewhere and never talk about them. lol

#8 Jaaniv

Jaaniv

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

It looks really odd, nosecannon is rather stupid looking and I kinda get an overall orky feel from it. Its not space marine -like.

#9 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Wow. That's just… wow.

I think I might introduce some of those in my game. Have a few dozen of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere. When the PCs ask about them they're told that they are useless vehicles that the Admech keep sending to the Astartes. The SMs keep telling them "this design doesn't work, it crashes within ten seconds of take off, stop building them you f*%"mooks!" and the Admech reply "this is a holy design of the Omnissiah, of course it works! Just because the STC file we found the design on was corrupted and bits were missing and someone copied and pasted in half the Lemun Russ schematic into the design doesn't mean it won't work!"

#10 Plasmafest

Plasmafest

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Maybe if we saw off the turret and ventral fin plus glue the vectored engines horizontal we can call it a Landspeeder Tempest. Like it should've been.

#11 BloodAngels4thewin

BloodAngels4thewin

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

Jaaniv said:

It looks really odd, nosecannon is rather stupid looking and I kinda get an overall orky feel from it. Its not space marine -like.

i know what u mean, it just feels like the guns were added as an afterthought, and in a very orky fashion

like the goldfish idea though

#12 boruta666

boruta666

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

and i on other hand like it, a lot. it looks cool.  Flying brick with guns, thats only proper way of design vtols in IOM.

And guys please… dont bring science and logic into Wh40k, if u do that whole setting crumble like house made of cards.

#13 Gaire

Gaire

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

My only beef is that the turret is out of proportion to the rest of the craft. Sizing down the gun isn't really an option. Comparing the size of the assault cannons to the marine in the cockpit, those are the correct size for the ACs- I'd wager they just used the mold from the Terminator assault cannon, or the Land Speeder/Land Raider assault cannons. The problem is that the ship itself is a little too small. Putting the landing skids on the turret also bothers me a little bit.

#14 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

The only bit that bothers me is the underslung turret, saw that off and it looks fine.

#15 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I like the fact that Space Marine vehicles are completely un-aerodynamic, based on the asthetic of a mailed fist rather than a graceful bird.

#16 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Having looked at the latest White Dwarf, and had a proper look at it, I don't mind it so much as I did on first glance. The front and 3/4 views that got thrown around initially make it look a little squashed, but from the side it's got the same sort of shape as the gunships in the Mass Effect series, only with bigger engines. Further, unlike the Thunderhawk and Storm Raven, it doesn't attempt to look like an overweight plane - the shape and variable-direction engines definitely mark it as a compact helicopter gunship analogue rather than a poor attempt at a jet interceptor.

I can definitely imagine Deathwatch missions where one battle-brother provides air support while the others (deployed by Storm Raven) deal with a target on the ground, or where several are used to perform hit-and-run raids in enemy territory.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#17 ddunkelmeister

ddunkelmeister

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

Underslung AC aside, it's fine.

The design aesthetic would bother me more if I hadn't already become acclimated to the Stormraven, and I think the design fits the one-man assault fighter better than it does the transport.

It's still ridiculous, but this is 40k after all.

#18 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

ddunkelmeister said:

It's still ridiculous, but this is 40k after all.

I don't know. By the standards of 40k that is practically hard science fiction.

Maybe too much so - I don't see a single skull on it anywhere!

--

The 360 spin view thing on its product page is worth looking at:-

http://www.games-wor...Id=prod1600096a

#19 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

I like it with one simple modification (and one complex one):

*Replace the Astartes ppilot with a servitor. This isn't an astartes vehicle, this is a vehicle that supports astartes. It should be servitor or chapter serf operated.

*Replace the rear fin with a lateral fan (think the Combine Gunship from Halflife 2 - boss is standing in the cubicle next to mine, so I'm not looking up a link for you. You have google and I trust your ability to use it :P)

I recon if you make those changes, it'll look good and fit the astartes aesthetic more.

#20 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

AluminiumWolf said:

The 360 spin view thing on its product page is worth looking at:-

http://www.games-wor...Id=prod1600096a

Wow, that really does make a difference. Looking at it in profile, the only thing I'm left with some nagging doubts about are the weapon pods. They just seem overly large… But this is 40K, and every damn thing seems to have oversized weapons, so what the hell! :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS