What to do when you don't have a unit leader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

How do you do things like check for obscured LOS if you don't have a unit leaderin your unit?  It's possible for your unit leader to get killed, and then later react with that unit or give them an order in a the next command phase, *before* you activate that unit in the unit phase and promote a figure to be unit leader.  If you need the unit leader in this case, what to do you do? 

#2 Harliquine

Harliquine

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:41 AM

Well if you are playing as Axis then you get to laugh because you choose a new unit leader immediately after the original one dies and move on. If you are not axis then and the enemy has managed to force the elimination of your unit leader and you have no suppression token or reaction tokens then you are still hosed until you can receive the regroup order. Everything is dependent on the unit leader and if this all happened in such a way that you didn't already have a chance to get that order then all you can do is nothing.

However since this breaks the core rules of the game, you can't even retreat without a unit leader, then I'd suggest picking a temporary leader to measure from and go with that until you can give that order. Now how you managed to lose the unit leader AND not have a reaction or a suppression token on the unit such that you are in a position to react is amazing. It's really hard to lose your unit leader in this game and even more difficult to not have suppression or a reaction marker left on the unit after that. 

#3 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

The opponent nominates a temporary leader. pg 23.

#4 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

Wait - Axis can auto-promote unit leader with no suppression penalty?  I definitely missed that in the rules - where is that located?

#5 Harliquine

Harliquine

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

I so need to buy the PDF for the rule book.

Right before the platoon section for the axis there are those rules description brown pages for each faction. On that last page the is a small paragraph on Axis unit leaders that details this. Axis troops are pretty much never without a real unit leader. That seems to be our theme in resisting suppression… Well that and creepy experiments on apes and corpses. Yeah there is that.

#6 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:15 AM

Harliquine said:

I so need to buy the PDF for the rule book.

Right before the platoon section for the axis there are those rules description brown pages for each faction. On that last page the is a small paragraph on Axis unit leaders that details this. Axis troops are pretty much never without a real unit leader. That seems to be our theme in resisting suppression… Well that and creepy experiments on apes and corpses. Yeah there is that.

Cool, good to know - first I'd heard of this.  I may have skimmed over that section thinking it was just fluff.

#7 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

felkor said:

Wait - Axis can auto-promote unit leader with no suppression penalty?  I definitely missed that in the rules - where is that located?

Page 109 - Axis Unit Leaders reads, "Axis units that lose their leader can always designate a new one automatically at the beginning of the Command phase, without needing a Regroup Order to do so."

Since it doesn't happen until the start of the command phase, Azrell's answer is the correct answer per the rules to the OP query.

Page 23 - Losing Unit Leaders reads, "If a unit that does not currently have a Unit Leader must use a Unit Leader for some reason (for instance an enemy action calls for players to check range to a Unit Leader) then the opposing player may nominate a miniature to act as a Unit Leader for the event. Afterwards the unit returns to having no Unit Leader."

#8 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

Thanks guys - that clears it all up for me!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS