Newbie Looking for some help.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MLink1

MLink1

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hey guys, I just bought Anima a few days ago after seeing it in the store and loving it.  I am looking for some clarification.  My friends and I are going to start a game fairly soon, but they are lazy and won't start until I do.  So, I hope you guys can help me out.  I skimmed most of the book, but I didn't see anything about whatever the Raza is in the top box. Can anyone give me a checklist of things to make sure you do when you make a character?

#2 cdcace

cdcace

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm not sure what raza is maybe race.  But this is how I make a character first I choose the class then I choose if I want to be anything besides human then I roll the stats then distribute the stats then choose advantages and disadvantages after that I assign points in primary's then secondary's and to make things simple pretty much everything I just said is on page23 

My next advice is trial and error people can tell you a lot of things but the best way to learn is to make the character and I suggest making all types of characters so that you have a decent feel for the system

Sry if that's not what you really wanted to hear but theirs not much else I can do short showing you which I just don't have the time.

#3 Gitface

Gitface

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Hi

Razza is Race, its a carry over from the original Spanish sheet that did not get translated.

A bit of advice, if you have any magic uses then make sure they balance their Magic Accumulation and Magic Projection. Too low a MA and it will take you ages to cast any spells and recover Zeon.  Too low a Projection and your spells will not land.  Also Innate magic is your friend. 

Gitface………

#4 MLink1

MLink1

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, I read more of the book and noticed why I was having trouble.  I couldn't figure out how to do magic, ki, and psychic, but I hadn't read those chapters.  It is kind of weird that it doesn't mention any of that in the "creating your character" section.  I just have one question now, and that is, how much DP do you start off with as a level 1 character?

#5 Gitface

Gitface

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

At level 1 you have 600 dp.  This is shown on page 23.

Gitface…………..

#6 Ryoto

Ryoto

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hello, newbie here too, and one little question.  How long it takes to you to create characters with players? Because i and my 2 players today created characters, and it took to us about 4 hours.

#7 NekoShogun

NekoShogun

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yea, it will at first. I think it took me about two hours for the last character I helped make, but I was also explaining the rules and showing her where they were in her book. It's a lot of info to take in, so until you get used to it, it will take that long. 

Have fun with it. 

#8 Beadle

Beadle

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

I think if you're managing to create Anima characters in 2 hours, you're doing VERY well, unless:

a) You knew the concept of the character you wanted to create, and already had ideas about Advantages, Skills etc before sitting down to create it with the books.

b) You're going for a pretty standard make-up (i.e. nothing weird and wonderful with Dominus Exxet, Arcana Exxet, or even the more unusual core stuff like the Nephilim, bonds to dragons etc)

It can take many, many hours to create some characters.  Particularly if you give some thought to where they want to end up at higher levels (which helps to decide what you put in at Level 1).

#9 Jenks

Jenks

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

It takes my players all of 20 minutes to fill out the sheets :P But then again, my players have nothing better to do than sit around and make broken *** characters in their free time -_-;

#10 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Takes me 20-25 mins to fill in a sheet for conceptual characters, about 15 mins for a powerful character

#11 VoidCabbage

VoidCabbage

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I've been making characters for… a while. The actual process comes easy but I usually get sidetracked for hours when it comes time to choose a name and develop a backstory. Ever since I got Gaia the possibilities have increased exponentially.

#12 Rii Nagaja

Rii Nagaja

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

VoidCabbage said:

I've been making characters for… a while. The actual process comes easy but I usually get sidetracked for hours when it comes time to choose a name and develop a backstory. Ever since I got Gaia the possibilities have increased exponentially.

Same for me, though I have my idea development time span before I really start making the character (and I usually grow the idea outside of any possible gaming time).

But that was not the point with the beginners I guess. I totally agree that the technical character builing can easily take up 2 hours and more, especially for new people (rules and system have to be explained in the same process), but also for experienced players if they plan to get some spirit into their creation (which happens when you are more the type who plays his character for many many hours and sessions probably).

Also, in Anima it appears to be wise to plan the build ahead, which takes alot of time. Although I find this uncompfortable and a bit unnatural (who has his life efficiently planned out like this?), it is quite necessary here if you don't want to get stuck with a miss-skilled character lategame.

It took me around 3 hours to calculate one my characters out up to level 16 where retirement was planned at the latest.

#13 Ryoto

Ryoto

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

Ok, thank you for answers, it is much better now, i think i can create character faster, it just wanted some time. :) But i have now another questions.

1. When you are GM, how you are creating NPC? I mean, the fastest way for not so important NPC.

2. Do you have some practical tips for GM, which will speed up the flow of game? I was wondering how looks like your helpfull stuff for this game. Like tables for many monsters (when you have in quest many types of monsters), how you are dealing with combats where are many combatants (like their initiatives, battle actions etc.)

3. And one combat question for calculating initiative…. I have warrior, who has initiative 60, now i give him a weapon Bastard Sword (initiative -30) to one hand, second hand will be free. (i think there is no difference for initiative when he is using this weapon in one hand, or in both hands, right?) And now, he is in combat (Bastard Sword in one hand, second hand is free) and i declare before initiative roll, i will attack just with punch (unarmed fight, initiative +20), which initiative i will be using?

4. And last question… My player was wondering about bonuses to attack by weapon (like in other games, it is better chance to hit target with long sword, than with hammer) He was argue, that it is a weird, when he has the same chance to hit the tatget with light weapon as with heavy weapon. What do you think about this?

#14 Beadle

Beadle

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

Well, Anima tends to make up for the issue over difficulty of hitting with different-sized weapons by having the effect on initiative.

It assumes someone with the same level of skill in a hammer is equally as proficient at hitting with it as someone skilled with a dagger is with his weapon.

But…..

Because of the initiative drawback, if the dagger guy always hits, even for no damage, the hammer guy never gets to complete a swing.

So eventually, unless he misses, the dagger guy could eventually just wear the hammer guy down with small amounts of damage each round.

Of course, if he misses, the hammer guy gets to attack, and if HE hits, there's much more damage, and he could even cause a crit with his first hit.

#15 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

Ok, thank you for answers, it is much better now, i think i can create character faster, it just wanted some time. :) But i have now another questions.

My opinions to the points:

1. Usually I use the example NPC from basic and Gaia book. If other "unimportant" NPC, I usually look, what the maximum is on attack, dodge and block and lifepoints is for a given level and give something under this (IMO the PC should be better than a "unimportant NPC" of the same level).

2. If you have many enemies, I would say the mass combat rules from "Those who walked amongst us". If only some enemies are fighting with the PCs, the NPC usually doesn't make difficult actions (the "important NPC" could make difficult actions, but there are usually not more then 2 in a battle … IMO the players are the heros und should have the most spotlight).

3. I think it isn't a difference, if you use the Bastard sword with one or two hands. But I wouldn't allow a player to get the unarmed fighting initiative with a weapon in his hand. An attack is more than a single punch or slash, there are some slashes, feints etc.. And also: The fighter could block with his weapon (unarmed blocking can make damage to the defender), but get the initiative bonus from unarmed, which shouldn't be right.

4. Like Beadle said: Its the speed value, which makes the difference. Two characters, both with the same values, usually the character with the faster weapon would win. In 50% the case, he would put the slower character on defense (or better, make some damage), in the other 50%, the slower character could attack, but would only hit in 50% of this cases. So, the faster character would hit in 50%, the slower only in 25% (50% the cases in which he is allowed to attack, which would be about 50% of the rounds, so only 25%). Okay, a system with D100 (also with a "open roll" rule), has an big standard deviation, so it is possible, that the slower fighter kills the faster in the first round (faster fumbles, slower counters, faster fumbles or doesn't get a great roll, slower has one or two open rolls etc.), but in most cases, the faster would have an advantage, if both have the same values.

So long,

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS