• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

I just noticed an errata.  The Fop (lure of power) is only listed with 4 skills, but there is nothing balancing this aspect.  In my house rules, I'm just going to allow the player to choose a skill.

Any other suggestions?

jh

#2 nephtys

nephtys

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

not sure this is an errata, i think i saw some careers with less than 5 skills. some of the heroic for example…

#3 phild

phild

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

Can't remember what the 4 are but howabout Charm, Education, Guile, Intuition, Ride?

#4 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

nephtys said:

not sure this is an errata, i think i saw some careers with less than 5 skills. some of the heroic for example…

I agree with this. There is no balancing factor. He's the Fop. 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#5 cronevald

cronevald

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's a mistake.  I did some quick checking and most basic careers seem to have 15 items between skills and possible advances (which I hadn't noticed before).  I did find just a few that deviate from this, notably the Miner with 16, and the Troll Slayer with 14.  I'm content to think this is the simply the price you pay for playing an annoying fop until I hear otherwise.

#6 cronevald

cronevald

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

No, I miscounted on the Miner.  I think I subconsciously added a comma between nature and lore as they're on separate lines.  I still doubt that the Fop's in error, though I could be wrong.  

#7 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

nephtys said:

not sure this is an errata, i think i saw some careers with less than 5 skills.

I agree, they don't have to have 5 skills. It's a noble career after all, they don't need to be skilled (especially not since this particular career is a Fop).

#8 phild

phild

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

BTW, I agree with everyone who said it probably isn't an errata. But I think I would probably also houserule and give them a 5th, unless their career ability is particularly good (which is probably the balancing factor for the Trollslayer).

#9 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

phild said:

But I think I would probably also houserule and give them a 5th, unless their career ability is particularly good (which is probably the balancing factor for the Trollslayer).

IIRC, once per session they can disengage out of turn for free. Circumstantially, it can be really good, but I don't think the skill is missing to balance it.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#10 Paligru

Paligru

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

About the FOP's career hability, free disengage once per session I was wondering whether it is usefull at all or not….if the fop's player is being attacked, would the disengage avoid the attack somehow? At most it will force the attacker to engage again, isn't it?

#11 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Paligru said:

About the FOP's career hability, free disengage once per session I was wondering whether it is usefull at all or not….if the fop's player is being attacked, would the disengage avoid the attack somehow? At most it will force the attacker to engage again, isn't it?

Not if the Fop is engaged with an ally. Enemy engages the group, and then the Fop disengages. The enemy would have to disengage the group he is in and then re-engage the Fop. 

#12 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but I am curious if there has been an update on what the 5th skill is supposed to be. I can't see a good reason to not have one.

#13 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

DevoutBadger said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I am curious if there has been an update on what the 5th skill is supposed to be. I can't see a good reason to not have one.

Not heard anything about it, but it could also balance the fact that it's a basic career which is also a noble, I'm not certain, but there are quite few basic noble careers around. Pistolier is the only other one I can think of, but I'm not certain if there are any others or not.

If you are staring out with a noble career when creating a character and choose to spend creation points to become affluent, then you start as a noble (you are a born noble son/daugher). That gives several advantages, such as +1 fortune die on most Charm or Guile checks, gaining 1g per month as a stipend from lands/titles, increased shame threshold (+1 per noble career) and the option to not roll social initiative, instead gaining the noble rank as social initiative. You also get some disadvantages (mainly that you suffer more stress if you're shamed by your betters).

Not starting out as a noble means that you are not noble born and recive less of the bonuses and your noble rank (which is not equal to beeing a real noble) is calculated as a lower one when calculating shame threshold, social initiative etc. And the charm/guile bonuses dissapear entirely.

These rules can be found on page 26-28 in the Lure of Power. A really important point is that there is a distinction between beeing an actual noble, and having careers with the noble trait are very different things. Having the noble trait just means that you are a bit more accepted in noble circles due to heroic deeds for example.

This might balance the Fop and make it a bit more interesting?

#14 DevoutBadger

DevoutBadger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I would agree with that assessment, however the other noble tagged basic careers, Pistoleer, Courtier (I believe) and  Dilitante (retconned in with Lure of Power) don't have similar restictions.

Think I will email FFG. Until then I guess it will just be up to the GM.

#15 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

The whole thing about the fop is that he's a useless … fop. Four career skills is part of that.

#16 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

Doc, the Weasel said:

The whole thing about the fop is that he's a useless … fop. Four career skills is part of that.

Agreed, useless but still a noble.

#17 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Keep in mind that skills listed for the career are not restrictions for the character.

As alluded to, Fops aren't known for being particularly skilled. They (stereotypically) tend to rely on wealth or personal charm to have others do what they need done.

Just because it only has 4 skills and most others have 5 does not mean that the Fop needs to be changed or somehow "make up" for the lack of the additional skill.  It all comes down to character and the story. The Fop is an idle wastrel. The player should play it up and revel in the fact that he has no real skills, but has a lot of daddy's money/influence to throw around.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS