• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Cornelius

Dr.Cornelius

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Minimum Command Orders and Command Squad

"…may issue a number of Command Orders…a minimum of one.   (p30)

"…with Command Squad special ability…may issue one additional order.  (p54)

Question: If all blanks are rolled, does the player get one or two Command Orders?

#2 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Two, I would say.The one from the squad is "additional."

#3 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

I concur with the Warboss. You roll your combat dice for a minimum one order. Then, you apply the bonus. 

#4 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, I believe on one of the preview pages or something, FFG wrote that having a Command Squad meant having a minimum of 2 orders.

#5 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

nice to see all the helpful regulars jumping on a question so swiftly.

Again, yep - the majority seem very much in the right. If you rolled zero you get your minimum of 1 order plus 1 for the possession of a command squad/command squads with the command squad ability.

#6 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

are those "aditional" orders counting towards determining initiative as well?

#7 Dcal12

Dcal12

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Galadhir said:

are those "aditional" orders counting towards determining initiative as well?

You are receiving additional orders, not additional dice in the command pool. So I would say no. If I roll one hit, you roll no hits, we don't tie because you get a minimum one order.

#8 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I don't think you guys understand what a minimum is… you don't get 2 orders if you roll all blanks. You get one. If some thing gives you an order than you already get the minimum of one and don't get another. 

#9 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

Agree with the others, when you roll the dice you get a minimum of one.  That step is now completed.  Further in the book the Command special ability grants and additional order, this has nothing to do with rolling the initiative dice.

#10 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Major Mishap said:

Agree with the others, when you roll the dice you get a minimum of one.  That step is now completed.  Further in the book the Command special ability grants and additional order, this has nothing to do with rolling the initiative dice.

you cant add to a minimum, you can only add to the total number you have.

The first paragraph is clearly not a step as it does not say step one or the first thing you do it says "Each player may issue a number of orders equal to the number of *hits he rolled in the Initiative phase…". Its talking about the number of order you may issue not the starting or base number of orders.

Example:

1.  your roll all blanks (0 hits), during the command phase you would get 0 orders… but there is a min of 1 so you may issue 0-1 orders.  Your command is dead so you promote a new one.  promoting a new command after the old one dies takes an order and without a min you wouldnt be able to promote. 

2. you roll 1 hit, your command is alive and give you 1 extra order. during the command phase you would get 0-2 orders…

3. your command is alive you roll 0 hits and get 0 orders, your command give you one extra order bringing your total to 1. you can issue 0-1 orders. 

If your command is alive, the min of 1 order never comes into play. Its a fail safe so later in the game you cant be stuck never issuing order again when your command dies. Without this minimum people would just blow your command off the board first turn and you would never get to issue any orders for the rest of the game.

Basic mathz people 0+1=1 not 2

#11 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Command Squad means minimum is 2:  1+1 = 2. ;-)

There was something official from FFG that stated this explicitly… I just wish I remembered where.

#12 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Found it, in this preview:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=3195

From the article:

"Gain precious Orders in the Command phase by simply purchasing a Command Section unit with the Command Squad ability to lead your platoons. While heroes do not have this ability, each platoon has access to a Command Section unit that does (read more about Command Sections in the Assembling Your Force for the Tabletop preview). Potentially game changing, this useful ability gives you one extra Order every Command phase! This means you'll have a minimum of two Orders at your disposal every turn."

So if that's what FFG says, that's what I'll go with, regardless of how the math works out.

#13 Snowshadow

Snowshadow

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

I read it as you have 2 base actions if your Command section is still alive, but that makes rolling 1 hit in the initiative phase completely useless.

0 hits = 2 orders

1 hit = 2 orders

I think it would be better if it was clarified that the Command squad IS where the minimum one is coming from. Right now it read as if the min one is just from the INI roll itself.

#14 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

One is minimum from the initiative roll. If you have a unit with the Command Squad special ability you receive one additionnal order each turn (for min of 2). Note that not all units that can command a platoon have the Command Squad special ability.

#15 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

felkor said:

From the article:

"Gain precious Orders in the Command phase by simply purchasing a Command Section unit with the Command Squad ability to lead your platoons. While heroes do not have this ability, each platoon has access to a Command Section unit that does (read more about Command Sections in the Assembling Your Force for the Tabletop preview). Potentially game changing, this useful ability gives you one extra Order every Command phase! This means you'll have a minimum of two Orders at your disposal every turn."

So if that's what FFG says, that's what I'll go with, regardless of how the math works out.

I hope that now settles it, looks like only one person can't do basic mathz :P

#16 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

yeah, so long as you have a command squad with the command squad ability, you are going to get 2 minimum.

Its pretty simple really - the orders you generate via dice rolls will always have a minimum of 1, and you add one extra due to the command squad rule.

What it comes down to is command squad granting "one additional" command. So while Azrell have a point in that you get orders equal to what you roll (with a minimum of one), the command squad ability grants an additional.

#17 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Major Mishap said:

felkor said:

From the article:

I hope that now settles it, looks like only one person can't do basic mathz :P

That's still not how the rules are written. The one person i guess would then be FFGs.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS