Sub-forums

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 WolfpackEE

WolfpackEE

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hopefully this will become a thriving community and if so, it would be nice if FFG put sub-forums in the Dust Warefare sections. It would be nice to have a section for general discussion, rules questions, a sub section for each faction, etc.

#2 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Another vote for sub forums as this one is getting too cluttered.

#3 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

I support this wholeheartedly!  This forum is beginning to burst at the seams, and it's getting harder to find stuff. 

#4 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

+1 for sub-forums

#5 Panzerfaust101

Panzerfaust101

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

Definitly, plus on for painting as per dust tactics forum.

#6 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

A rules sub forum would be nice too. 

#7 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'd like to see…

• General
  • Rules
  • Painting
  • Allies
  • Axis
  • SSU

#8 ninjaray

ninjaray

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

I argee. I would be very useful if we had a Rules forum, a Modeling forum, General forum, and Gamplay forum.

#9 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

I would add:

• Review
  • After Action Report
  • Strategy
  • Terrain making
  • Variants (?)

Is it necessary to have separate sub for every faction?

#10 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I think General, Strategy, Rules, and Painting forums would be good.

Actually, I'd call the painting forum something else so it could include terrain and modelling, but I'm not sure what.

#11 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Cannor said:

Actually, I'd call the painting forum something else so it could include terrain and modelling, but I'm not sure what.

How about just Painting and Modelling? Id like to see a W.I.P and Completed subforum in there though.

On a more serious note Im sure they are working on this (but maybe if we can get this thread as big or bigger than Gimps thread they will work on it quicker…)

#12 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Could we have an "Warfare Issues" sub-forum?

Makes it easier to avoid. :-)

#13 KevinBakon

KevinBakon

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

felkor said:

Could we have an "Warfare Issues" sub-forum?

Nice one. 

Too bad Dust Tactics and Warfare can't share their modeling/painting. Bit redundant. 

#14 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

+1 to this idea. There should be subforums. This forum is actually a lot more active than a lot of forums that I know of for much more established games. There should be a kind of combined forum for this and dust tactics though. Then, as others have said, they could share a painting/modelling section. Then you have a tactics sections with a couple subforums and the warfare section with a couple subforums. Then things would not be all jammed into the one place. Many people only really look at the first page of forums. If you are away from the forum for a couple days, you may not see a really good topic that could have been pushed to the second page.

#15 Cannor

Cannor

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

DoomOnYou72 said:

Cannor said:

How about just Painting and Modelling? Id like to see a W.I.P and Completed subforum in there though.

On a more serious note Im sure they are working on this (but maybe if we can get this thread as big or bigger than Gimps thread they will work on it quicker…)

But that's a sensible name! I'd call it "The Craft of Dust" or something. ;)

On the topic of sharing the painting forum with Tactics, well, we already do. Painting for DW is no different to painting for DT. FFG just has to link to the DT painting forum from the DW forum list and job done!

#16 King Jareth

King Jareth

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Algesan said:

The problem is that DW has gone from dead tree edition to half-price PDF download in less than a month.  Not surprising considering the botched butchery done on the great DT system.  Hopefully you guys will get your subforums and maybe next time FFG will keep the GW 40K vet the pork away from the world of Dust.

You're so cool.

#17 Ddogwood

Ddogwood

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

Algesan said:

The problem is that DW has gone from dead tree edition to half-price PDF download in less than a month.  Not surprising considering the botched butchery done on the great DT system.  Hopefully you guys will get your subforums and maybe next time FFG will keep the GW 40K vet the pork away from the world of Dust.

I don't think that having a PDF version is a step backwards or indicates that the game won't succeed. It's far too early to make any judgments about D:W's long-term success, regardless of whether you personally like the game. 

#18 Algesan

Algesan

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

Ddogwood said:

Algesan said:

I don't think that having a PDF version is a step backwards or indicates that the game won't succeed. It's far too early to make any judgments about D:W's long-term success, regardless of whether you personally like the game. 

The way FFG makes and drops games?  It seems to be working for them, but it looks like if a game doesn't keep up its share of the revenue stream it gets chopped off at the knees.  However, you are correct, a PDF release in and of itself doesn't reflect on the long term viability of the DW version of the game.  OTOH, one so quickly out the gate looks more like trying to grab some money quickly before it all goes away in negative reviews.  You do have to admit that DW pretty much gutted what was great about DT over a lot of other miniature games.

#19 ItsUncertainWho

ItsUncertainWho

• Members
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

Algesan said:

The way FFG makes and drops games?  It seems to be working for them, but it looks like if a game doesn't keep up its share of the revenue stream it gets chopped off at the knees.  However, you are correct, a PDF release in and of itself doesn't reflect on the long term viability of the DW version of the game.  OTOH, one so quickly out the gate looks more like trying to grab some money quickly before it all goes away in negative reviews.  You do have to admit that DW pretty much gutted what was great about DT over a lot of other miniature games.

You apparently haven't picked up on the fact that FFG has gotten in the habit of releasing PDF's of new books quickly. Their 40K RPG lines have gotten PDF's progressively faster over the years, now they are typically out within a month or so of the release date.

PDF's are cheaper due to the fact they are not a product that has to be printed and shipped across the globe, not because they are being sold at a discount. People like PDF's due to cost savings and the proliferation of tablet computers make the easily transportable.

As to negative reviews, I have only read a few and they consisted of "This is different than DT = Bad" and "This isn't what I want". Most other reviews I have read have been favorable or outright ecstatic about the game.

Any "gutting" of DT is irrelevant to me as I don't care about DT.

FFG is a business, if a product doesn't make money why would they continue to support or grow it? Sinking money into something that isn't making money is bad business. Even if you have customers who like a product it's not always possible to support some things.

#20 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

Algesan said:

This is because the print version sold out much quicker than anticipated, and the real $ is in model sales. Getting a PDF version out to keep the very large sales increase in models going is business 101. The increase will actually help DT, so instead of ignorant snarkiness, I suggest a simple, "Thank you FFG" would be appropriate. 

@ Doom - How about, "Dustcraft"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS