Jump to content



Photo

How to build a balanced SSU faction, to match Axis and Allies incuided in the Revised Box?


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 charis8

charis8

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

 Hi Everybody,

I'm a new gamer, and I was wondering what to buy to built a balanced SSU faction, to face the Axis and Allies forces included in the Revised DUST Tactics box (we'd like to play in three…).

My hypothesis is:

- OPERATION ZVEROGRAD (which bring a hero and a 'Mech');

- an HELICOPTER;

- two or three squads (Two? Three? And what exactly?).

 

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance

 

Paolo



#2 Algesan

Algesan

    Member

  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Actually you need to wait for some more stuff.  The Zverograd walker is a "Rare" one, so you can only have one.  For the rest of the SSU forces, about half are missing, plus there aren't any IA3 squads available yet.  I'd wait and I'm hoping that FFG ends up releasing a SSU "starter" box, but probably not for a while.



#3 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

 If the allied player is only playing with Revised set units they will have no Anti-air so Don't bring a chopper.
But this should be a decent match to the Rev. Core set units. Also not all these units are out so you'll have t wait or just use your best judgement.
36 - Grand'Ma
18 - Koshka
19 - Frontoviki
28 - Fakyeli
?? - Ohotniki



#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

Why should he wait? A revised set axis or allied force will only have a single light walker anyway.

If you want a similar force, I'd go with:

- Operation Zverograd (walker and hero)

- Fakyeli (close combat fast squad that can deal with walkers)

- Frontoviki (good anti-infantry squad)

Then it gets a bit tricky. You should get a 3rd squad, but your options are the Medvedi command squad, which would be a bit unfair to the opponent or the Chinese Volunteers. I'd go with the Chinese Volunteers, even if you don't use the chopper because you won't have enough AP. You could alternate between using the chopper and using the Babushka walker, putting Koshka instead with the Fakyeli (should be quite deadly).

EDIT: Ture, if you're fighting an allied revised set army, it would be unfair to take a chopper. Against the axis it would be all right, with Lara and the Flaks being among the best units in the game to bring down aicraft. Ohotniki isn't out yet, or it would be a good option for the 3rd squad. Either it or a Commissar squad.



#5 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Loophole Master said:

Why should he wait? 

Because its generally rather difficult to get units before they are released.



#6 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

No need to get snarky. My post above was a reply to Algesan's post, not yours. You had not posted yet by the time I started to reply. I was referring to the fact that you don't have to wait for all the units to build a force equivalent to the Revised Set.



#7 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

 Sorry if that came across poorly I meant it in Jest.



#8 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

No problem, it was just a bit of miscommunication.



#9 charis8

charis8

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thank you guys,

we'll think about all the options you gave us, while waiting for further SSU releases.

 



#10 Algesan

Algesan

    Member

  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Mainly wait and see what come out next rather than trying to pull together a SSU fighting force out of what is available right now.  I'm fairly sure we will be seeing all of the proposed SSU stuff in the next few months.  Although I hadn't looked at the cards to notice that the Revised Core (Allies at least) have little to no AA capability.



#11 Panzer soldier

Panzer soldier

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

In my humble opinion the only worth while force given the current released SSU units are as follows. Field as many choppers filled with assault squads as your point limit allows.
Then simply rush your enemy. The assault squads can deal with walker and any other heavy hitters. The the choppers can mop up any infantry.

I would not waste my money or points on command squads. They are far to twitchy and often don't come through when you need then the most. They accounted for may only loss of the northwest regional tournament.

The Chinese are cannon fodder.  The infantry have short range and no ability to kill walkers. Maybe with a commissar they might be worth something, but rite now any Axis or Allied force would chew them up and spit them out.

The hero walker may be some thing with other walkers to support it, but rite it's not going to win the fight all by itself.

Don't get me wrong I own an Axis and Allied force. I intend to field the SSU as well, but I will wait until more units are released so I can field an effective force.



#12 Algesan

Algesan

    Member

  • Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

Panzer soldier said:

In my humble opinion the only worth while force given the current released SSU units are as follows. Field as many choppers filled with assault squads as your point limit allows.
Then simply rush your enemy. The assault squads can deal with walker and any other heavy hitters. The the choppers can mop up any infantry.

I would not waste my money or points on command squads. They are far to twitchy and often don't come through when you need then the most. They accounted for may only loss of the northwest regional tournament.

The Chinese are cannon fodder.  The infantry have short range and no ability to kill walkers. Maybe with a commissar they might be worth something, but rite now any Axis or Allied force would chew them up and spit them out.

The hero walker may be some thing with other walkers to support it, but rite it's not going to win the fight all by itself.

Don't get me wrong I own an Axis and Allied force. I intend to field the SSU as well, but I will wait until more units are released so I can field an effective force.

Agreed.  I'm going to get a SSU force also, but I'm still playing a little catch up on my Axis and Allies after my slight (well, maybe not so slight) detour into the Newcrons.  As well as trying to polish up my Black Templars for NOVA in September.  So, the SSU forces can wait until FFG actually fleshes them out some more.  I mean, there isn't even a core set's worth of stuff yet.



#13 daniello_s

daniello_s

    Member

  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Personally I'm waiting for two thing: stats for walkers and choppers as they will make up my mind if I go into SSU dropping my Axis.

I'd like to field one of two types of SSU armies - air cavalry and walker-stompa but air-cavalry sounds cheesier to my (for 300pts games: 2x anti tank chopper + 2x anti infantry chopper + either command squad or hero with legendary tactician + as many cheerleader as I can fit :D)



#14 Panzer soldier

Panzer soldier

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

daniello_s said:

Personally I'm waiting for two thing: stats for walkers and choppers as they will make up my mind if I go into SSU dropping my Axis.

I'd like to field one of two types of SSU armies - air cavalry and walker-stompa but air-cavalry sounds cheesier to my (for 300pts games: 2x anti tank chopper + 2x anti infantry chopper + either command squad or hero with legendary tactician + as many cheerleader as I can fit :D)

 I agree all walker armies have be tournament winners in my area. The SSU seem to have tough but short ranged walkers. I think an air cavalry unit would be a devastating combination.


This will force the Axis and Allied players to field allot of antiaircraft weapons which will make them vulnerable to walkers.


I have lost faith in command squads though. The abilities are nice, but a 1in 3 chance is to low to make them dependable.
 

I am not sure what you mean by cheerleaders, infantry?



#15 daniello_s

daniello_s

    Member

  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Cheerleaders are cheap, expandable infantry units like SSU observers or Chinese guys whose role is to provide activations.

The whole idea is to use cheerleaders first forcing opponent to move all his key units before you activate you deadly air cavalry to eliminate as much enemy as possible.

Yakov (I think this is the right guy I'm taking about) will help you to win initiative nect round so you can finish up with you chopers whatever has left last round or to move them out of counter-attack.



#16 Panzer soldier

Panzer soldier

    Member

  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

 I see in that case my Axis army contains five cheerleader. They are great for enshuring my Stormkonig gets on the board safe and sound.

Some consider this cheating, but I say this is just smart strategy. Besides my cheerleaders call in artillery and that hurts.



#17 fhaugh

fhaugh

    Member

  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Panzer soldier said:

 I see in that case my Axis army contains five cheerleader. They are great for enshuring my Stormkonig gets on the board safe and sound.

Some consider this cheating, but I say this is just smart strategy. Besides my cheerleaders call in artillery and that hurts.

Not to be insulting, but not calling it cheating is like atheletes saying blood-doping isn't a performance enhancing drug.  You are not winning with your strategy or tactics, but through a manipulation of the rules.  I enjoy tactics because of the unrestricted build lists, and quasi-legal manuvers like this are the reason so many game have to have force building rules.  It also create an unbalanced field for those who have limited funds, and those who can spend $60+ on observers (and sniper they don't even use?) just so they can out-activated their opponent.  Try out thinking your opponent.  That is what these kind of games are supposed to be won or lost on.



#18 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

Panzer soldier said:

Some consider this cheating, but I say this is just smart strategy.

It's certainly not cheating, since nothing in the rules prevents it.

It's just a somewhat obnoxious anti-gaming strategy. Nothing very smart about it.



#19 Bartali

Bartali

    Member

  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

 There's far, far more abusive ways to take advantage of the unrestricted force selection than the above. Until there's A3 aircraft, 18 squads of Recon Grenadiers springs to mind in a 300pt game



#20 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:03 AM

Loophole Master said:

Panzer soldier said:

Some consider this cheating, but I say this is just smart strategy.

 

It's certainly not cheating, since nothing in the rules prevents it.

It's just a somewhat obnoxious anti-gaming strategy. Nothing very smart about it.

 

Ditto the aboves.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS