Captured units?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MRex21

MRex21

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Brand new forum user and player to Dust Tactics. 

I have a question I couldn't find an answer for.  Are 'captured units' allowed?  By that I mean, say, is an Allied army allowed to use a 'captured Axis walker' (painted up in Allied colors) as a valid unit in a game.  I realize this wouldn't be allowed in a tournament, but rather for a 'storyline game', would this be acceptable within the rules?

Thank you!

#2 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Sort answer. NO.

Long (and better) answer; It's your game. There are no rules for it but if you want to do it go for it. Warning: Use sparingly otherwise unbalance may occur

#3 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

For inspiration (and the use of BOOTY TANKS) see http://www.achtungpa...nt-registry.htm

#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

Zverograd has opened a precedent by giving one of the sides (axis or allies) the opportunity to use Koshka and her Babushka walker. Used sparringly, this can be an interesting variation.

#5 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

You could if you wanted to in your games, but I personally wouldn't as the units you will use will be the best ones from the other side or a walker to fill a hole in your army.  To limit there use, you could up a captured vehicles point cost or give it limited ammo as that will be very rare.  What you shouldn't do for example is to use an Allied Ludwig in every game because its got the best AT gun, that would be unfair on your opponant.

#6 MRex21

MRex21

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

That makes sense.

What I was envisioning was a scenario where the objective was a 'downed enemy walker' or some such.  Then…in the next campaign game, the winner could use that unit.  I was trying to think of a way for the sides to utilize some 'real world' scenarios where Americans captured German equipment, or vice-versa…but have it still remain relatively balanced in the game.

Thank you for the replies!

#7 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Sounds like a plan.  Another idea if you are playing linked games, campaign or scenario's or even one-off games that you want to tie together would be to fight for an advantage for the next game.  One of these could easily be the possible use of an out of action enemy walker.  You could roll a dice for each walker in turn, any that roll a hit are possible to use again.  Select one of these walkers and roll a number of dice equal to its starting health, the walker starts the next game under your control with that amount of health left with a minimum of 1.

#8 MRex21

MRex21

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Major Mishap said:

Sounds like a plan.  Another idea if you are playing linked games, campaign or scenario's or even one-off games that you want to tie together would be to fight for an advantage for the next game.  One of these could easily be the possible use of an out of action enemy walker.  You could roll a dice for each walker in turn, any that roll a hit are possible to use again.  Select one of these walkers and roll a number of dice equal to its starting health, the walker starts the next game under your control with that amount of health left with a minimum of 1.

Hey.  I like that a lot!

Thank you for the suggestion.

#9 Panzer soldier

Panzer soldier

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

I think the biggest risk here is fratricide. Just because you point a star or iron cross on the vehicle. Doesn't mean I' m not going to identify the target as an enemy and blast it.

#10 fhaugh

fhaugh

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

Loophole Master said:

Zverograd has opened a precedent by giving one of the sides (axis or allies) the opportunity to use Koshka and her Babushka walker. Used sparringly, this can be an interesting variation.

Is the something in the Zverograd rulebook that says the allies or axis may use them?  I couldn't find it.  My wife and I have thought about allowing her to field some of the SSU with her allies.  (If it means I can get some of the Axis units I've been drooling over, I'll bend the rules)

#11 Dcal12

Dcal12

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

fhaugh said:

Loophole Master said:

Is the something in the Zverograd rulebook that says the allies or axis may use them?  I couldn't find it.  My wife and I have thought about allowing her to field some of the SSU with her allies.  (If it means I can get some of the Axis units I've been drooling over, I'll bend the rules)

It is on page 20 of the Zverograd Campaign under setting up the campaign.  Basically, the optional prologue mission is where the axis and allies fight to be the last one in the objective hex, which represents Koshka.  The side that wins this mission must use the Hero Koshka in his force during every game.   He may also purchase Grand'Ma.

I don't think it opens a precedent that you all of a sudden show up at a tournament to play with mixed factions.  Of course house rules are entirely different, I just finished the the entire Zverograd Campaing with the new SSU units and then filling in the additional points with Axis units for each scenario.  The only rule we had was the winner of the prologue scenario had to use all the SSU units available to date, then fill in the remaining points with the winning faction, which in this case was the Axis.

#12 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Major Mishap said:

I like that idea. Very interesting concept.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS