2 Champs and a Chump Episode 65- Valar Morghulis Review

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

This week, I Skyped in a couple guest hosts, the always entertaining Nick Agranoff (The Nickler) and rounded out the viewpoints with a newer player out of Canada named Taylor. We had some pretty great discussions all around, but the recording was just too huge, so I've had to cut some stuff. So, Nick and Taylor if you're listening and your favorite moment is gone, I apologize. We're still a little longer than normal, but I was loathe to cut any of the chapter pack discussion because I feel that we had a lot of good stuff. Give it a listen here.

#2 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

Out of curiosity how did you determine it was too long? Seems to me people enjoy the cast and if they get to a part in convo that bores them they can FF. I bet there are a lot of people that want the directors cut now.

#3 playgroundpsychotic

playgroundpsychotic

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

Man, why do people gotta hate on the Ward? First thing I thought when I saw it is I'm gonna make a Bara player cry by swiping all of his Renown characters. Threat from the North plus 3 Wards! Imagine the power gain. IT WILL BE GLORIOUS.

#4 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Dennis, it's a file size issue. There's a limitation to how large of a file that I can upload for a single cast, so I had to make sure that I could squeeze in under that limit. That said, most of what I cut was some extended love for GenCon as Nick and I tried to convince Taylor and other players to make it there if they can only go to one large, organized event, as well as some props and slops. There were a handful of jokes and comments that were cut as well, but by and large, I don't think most people will miss what wound up on the floor.

#5 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Had to stop listening due to a fear of spoilers.  Two new charactors in book 5--click off it went.

#6 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Ah well, sorry to hear that. We don't go out of our way to discuss what those characters did in the books, but we do sometimes comment on how Nedly a card is or is not not. Sadly, you may not want to listen to many of our episodes going forward then. Since these cards are being released, we're only going to discuss them more and more.

#7 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

I only recall the one spoiler at the beginning on like the 2nd card. And it wasn't much of a spoiler since the last few episodes of the show have already given that much away anyways.  Good episode though (the blog and the show!).  It was interesting to hear the reasons why you guys put certain cards in your top and bottom 5.

#8 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

I don't think the GJ maester (what's his name? - he's so forgettable even in the books) deserves bottom 5, if only because he can be used to trigger Wendamyr's "then" ability since GJ really doesn't love influence that much. It won't be helpful on a Valar round, but the vast majority of Wendamyr saves will benefit from him.

#9 Alando

Alando

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Maester Kerwin! He also cancels any effect that targets one ironborn, not just triggered. I would say he's almost an auto-include. The only reason I wouldn't include him would be if I already have plenty of 1str characters and I'm worried about Threat.

#10 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Kerwin isn't terrible, but out of the cards in this pack, do you have any thoughts on what you'd vote to take his place in the bottom 5?

#11 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Kennon said:

Ah well, sorry to hear that. We don't go out of our way to discuss what those characters did in the books, but we do sometimes comment on how Nedly a card is or is not not. Sadly, you may not want to listen to many of our episodes going forward then. Since these cards are being released, we're only going to discuss them more and more.

The good news is I'm waiting for the fifth book to come out in paperback--and I'll be caught up!

#12 imrahil327

imrahil327

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Kennon said:

Kerwin isn't terrible, but out of the cards in this pack, do you have any thoughts on what you'd vote to take his place in the bottom 5?

I haven't had a chance to catch up to this episode yet, and for some reason I insist on listening to them in order, but my bottom 5 from the pack:

Futile Gestures

Both Martell Cards

Turncloak

Last spot is either the bounce river plot or Ward.

Kerwin being able to counteract Search & Detain, Varys, any of the Stark Murder effects, etc etc makes him pretty valuable in my book.

#13 Fieras

Fieras

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

As for ward, I could see using reek to steal a character, then using ward to steal reek.

Could be pretty cool.

#14 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Sounds pretty nedly if you ask me.

#15 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Kennon said:

Probably Volantis. A unique location that helps give you OOH GJ mercenaries doesn't seem that great. Futile Gestures is a close runner up.

#16 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

AGoT DC Meta said:

Kennon said:

Probably Volantis. A unique location that helps give you OOH GJ mercenaries doesn't seem that great. Futile Gestures is a close runner up.

Since it reduces all mercenaries by 1 as a passive and is an influence, I could see a Targ summer deck playing Volantis, but that's it.

#17 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

No love for Volantis? It reduces the cost of any Greyjoy cards you splash by 1 gold each turn. That seems not too terrible, particularly if you have a use for the influence.

#18 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:18 AM

Was a fun podcast.

About the martell attachment….. its in the bottom five for sure, but i would play it just for the synergy that could have with the martel melee house attachment and taste for blood….if you could have all 3 att x3 and you defend an intrigue with a ….mmm a house messenger for example, and you loose…it's 9 powers for you!!!!! (1 for each att so if you manage just 5 or 4 att it's still 5 or 4 powers!!!)

I forgot who was the other guy……You should go to gencon, it's going to be great!! Btw, we have to order from this site too….and we are in Chile so imagine the difficulty of having complete sets (which we have!!!!…even the season ones at least x1)…..we have to share between 4 though.

Hope we will see you all in gencon for some drinks.

I heard that josh top4ed in days last weekend….is he going to report in the next podcast?  (¿tomorrow?)

#19 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Kennon said:

No love for Volantis? It reduces the cost of any Greyjoy cards you splash by 1 gold each turn. That seems not too terrible, particularly if you have a use for the influence.

That sucks…I just typed out a reply and it booted me out so I have to retype it. :(

In short, it's playable 3 ways:

1) Compensating for the OOH penalty of GJ mercenary characters. There are 2. Only one of which is arguably "playable".

2) Splashing as you said, GJ or mercenary characters. You'd want to do this for combo effect or some sort of synergy, like playing Asha in a Bara noble rush deck - but then you have to pay 4 gold for her, only the neutral reducers would work for her. As for mercenaries, there aren't that many mercenaries I would want to play, especially with Daario floating around. AND, then you would still have to draw into Volantis and the OOH character at the same time. You could run x3, but the opportunity cost for that is too high, especially when most houses have a lot of already efficient characters that you wouldn't need to go OOH for others.

3) Running a treaty agenda. This would be interesting since you are already building a deck with the detriment in mind, so randomly drawing into your copy of Volantis would only help speed up your engine.

So I expect a Shagga player would look at this and smile, but it won't really see any competitive play. Unless Greg decides to do something with it. (New 2C1C segment? "What would Greg do with this card?" lol)

#20 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:49 AM

AGoT DC Meta said:

As for mercenaries, there aren't that many mercenaries I would want to play, especially with Daario floating around.

As for hoyalawya's suggestion of runnning it out of Targ, they do probably have the most playable mercenaries, but Brown Ben is free, and The Titan's Bastard and Dragon Thief are jumpers. So you're looking at a 1 cost, 1 infl location to reduce maybe Exiled Knight, Fariweather Followers, and Daario himself. I'd be better off running Khal Drogo's Tent.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS