• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brother Siouxahn

Brother Siouxahn

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hello all,

So I'm getting through the DW rule book, and getting some great campaign ideas from this forum so far. The question that now comes to me, as I draw near the final pages of the core book is where do I go from here? I've browsed the FF catalog, and can see a few DW supplement books, and would like to know what is the best progression when looking at new books? Aside from pure adventure modules, which books bring the most useful new materiel? From what I've read in the catalog so far, I think that the Rites of Battle book comes with some of the best new stuff, namely an expanded set of vehicle rules. So what I'd like to know from you, my more learned colleagues, is what have you got out of the supplements, and what would be the best progression as I expand my DW library?

Thanks,

Br. Siouxahn.

#2 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

Sort of depends what you're looking for.

If you're looking to expand with adventures, then The Emperor Protects and Tempest Rising would be where you head next. That's 6 adventures right there, including a few lengthy and complex ones that will give a wide variety of opponents to face.

If you're looking for rules expansions, then Rites of Battle and First Founding are your best bet (and Honour the Chapter when it hits later). These three books provide lots of options for the players. Mark of the Xenos is a good book for the GM, expanding on the Deathwatch's setting's three main antagonists (Tyranids, Chaos & Tau) plus numerous other odds and ends.

If you're looking for world building, then there's no better book than The Jericho Reach. It goes into great detail on each of the three Salients, and some additional player options geared towards those specific Salients. For a more general look at Deathwatch's setting, The Achilus Crusade acts as a good historical/background book, expanding upon what's in the core rulebook and giving lots of background information and ideas for new missions. It's less 'current' and more 'background' than Jericho Reach is, but as its aim was to describe the Achilus Crusade, it does its job well.

If I had to pick just three, I'd go The Jericho Reach, Rites of Battle and Mark of the Xenos.

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#3 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'd say your next purchase is Black Crusade to get less-ridiculous combat rules. ;)

#4 Dulahan

Dulahan

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

In my opinion the indispensable ones are the rules updates, especially since they include some very important stuff… the other primogeniture chapters.

So Rites of Battle, First Founding?  Must haves.  A third?  Well, either save for Honour the Chapter soon enough.  Or base on what you want, adventure?  Xenos compendiums?  Background fluff?

#5 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

Eradico Pravus said:

I'd say your next purchase is Black Crusade to get less-ridiculous combat rules. ;)

This.

#6 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Well in my view the ones you should buy as the three first are the following:

Rites of Battle - for expanded rules and ability to make your own Chapters

Mark of the Xenos - lets face it that it is a combat heavy game and thus critters and stuff to kill is a must for Deathwatch

Achileus Crusade/Jericho Reach - either one should be able to give you setting stuff and some more monster stats to make things work well and help you envision the setting and make it come to life. I'm not sure I would recommend one over the other but you should get your hands on one of them.

The other books will be a good help but I think that the ones above at the most "needed" ones.

#7 Brother Siouxahn

Brother Siouxahn

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys,

I don't think I'll be moving to Black Crusade, simply because I'm only just finishing the DW core rules, and would rather avoid having to get a whole new core book. I think that so far Rights of Battle seems to be getting most of the consensus as an indispensable next step, and I'll definitely look into the fluff/monster oriented books once I get my game off the ground. As it's going to be a fairly gradual process, I'll be happy enough to wait on Honour the Chapter. 

Thanks again.

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

Make sure you download and use the errata, regardless.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS