Photo

Rules We Miss Until We've Played a Number of Games Then Catch On Our Next Read-Through

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

Okay, so if you're at all like me, you skim the rules, do a walkthrough game, read the rules and start playing. Then, after a couple of weeks, you get some downtime where you can go through the rules with a fairly good grasp of them, then, "Bam!" you find a simple but important rule or concept you missed. Well, this is the thread to put those, "Doh! How did I miss that?" moments!

For me, it was the Command Phase section, last sentence of the first paragraph, "Each player may issue a number of Orders equal to the number of ø he rolled in the Initiative phase (with a minimum of one)."

Its the last parenthetical phrase we haven't been playing. We've been playing if you rolled all blanks for initiative, your commanders were all sitting on their thumbs unable to make a decision, and no orders were issued. Guess even Analysis Paralysis battlefield commanders can at least get out a single, "Hey you!  Go do something over there!" order in the Command Phase. 

What have been your, "Aha!" moments on your second, more thorough read-through of the rules?

#2 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

yep, that minimum of 1 rule we caught first game, but after a few turns.

So far the hardest rule to teach people has been reactions curiously. Many seem to get confused about any unit being able to react if an enemy unit moves within 12, yet forget only a unit being attacked can react with an attack or move action.

#3 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

Shadow4ce said:

Okay, so if you're at all like me, you skim the rules, do a walkthrough game, read the rules and start playing. Then, after a couple of weeks, you get some downtime where you can go through the rules with a fairly good grasp of them, then, "Bam!" you find a simple but important rule or concept you missed. Well, this is the thread to put those, "Doh! How did I miss that?" moments!

For me, it was the Command Phase section, last sentence of the first paragraph, "Each player may issue a number of Orders equal to the number of ? he rolled in the Initiative phase (with a minimum of one)."

Its the ast parenthetical phrase we haven't been playing. We've been playing if you rolled all blanks for initiative, your commanders were all sitting on their thumbs unable to make a decision, and no orders were issued. Guess even Analysis Paralysis battlefield commanders can at least get out a single, "Hey you!  Go do something over there!" order in the Command Phase. 

What have been your, "Aha!" moments on your second, more thorough read-through of the rules?

We did that and keep forgetting to roll away on supression markers ….LOL

#4 paradiddlebob

paradiddlebob

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

I think formatting can help here. Don't bury rules (especially those with a number attached) in a paragraph, put them in bullet form after the paragraph. Perhaps.

#5 CombatRanger

CombatRanger

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Plus, if you have a command squad you can issue an additional order in the command phase.

#6 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

where does it say that ranger? i must of missed that one

#7 Poe

Poe

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

caecitas said:

So far the hardest rule to teach people has been reactions curiously. Many seem to get confused about any unit being able to react if an enemy unit moves within 12, yet forget only a unit being attacked can react with an attack or move action.

This doesn't sound right to me. You mean a unit has to be attacked to react?

#8 CrayolaSmoker

CrayolaSmoker

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Poe said:

Sort of. In order for a unit to react to an enemy attack, they have to be the recipient of said attack. However, any of your units within 12" of an enemy's movement may react to said movement.

#9 Poe

Poe

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

CrayolaSmoker said:

Poe said:

Sort of. In order for a unit to react to an enemy attack, they have to be the recipient of said attack. However, any of your units within 12" of an enemy's movement may react to said movement.

Yes, that sounds correct. I think it was just the way Caecitas phrased it that threw me off.

#10 ninjaray

ninjaray

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

caecitas said:

where does it say that ranger? i must of missed that one

I just saw that one my self. it's listed under special rules for units. There is an entry for command squads and it states something to the order of, "you get an extra command order for each command squad".

#11 Harikaridog

Harikaridog

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

CombatRanger said:

Plus, if you have a command squad you can issue an additional order in the command phase.

i tthink thats a rule that did not make the final cut!

#12 Harikaridog

Harikaridog

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Oh wait sorry, there it is on pg 54

#13 ninjaray

ninjaray

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks to the PDF, exact wording for you all:

page 54

Command Squad
A unit with this ability is an experienced unit, trained to lead
other units in battle. A force that includes one or more units
with the Command Squad special ability in play may issue
one additional order in the Command phase.

#14 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

PG 54 "COMMAND SQUAD A unit with this ability is an experienced unit, trained to lead  other units in battle. A force that includes one or more units  with the Command Squad special ability in play may issue one additional order in the Command phase."

#15 Kasper Hauser

Kasper Hauser

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

These forums are a fantastic resource……..a living breathing FAQ

#16 CrayolaSmoker

CrayolaSmoker

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

ninjaray said:

Thanks to the PDF, exact wording for you all:

page 54

Command Squad
A unit with this ability is an experienced unit, trained to lead
other units in battle. A force that includes one or more units
with the Command Squad special ability in play may issue
one additional order in the Command phase.

So, just to clarify for my own sake, if you add page 54 to page 30 any Axis or Allied Platoon led by it's default Command Unit (all of which have "Command Squad") should get a minimum of two orders per turn?

pg. 30 - "Each player may issue a number of Orders equal to the number of [hits] he rolled in the Initiative phase (with a minimum of one)."

And any force led by a Hero taken as a Leader and rolls blanks for initiative would default to a single order.

Good to know. Makes me want to reevaluate my high-point lists where platoons are led by Heroes. I initially did it 'cause it seemed fitting to the fluff and because it shaved points (15 point Hero vs. 25 point Command Squad), but the ability to count on 3 orders minimum at 200-300 points is awfully tempting.

#17 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

i did not know that. How odd - i always presumed that the command squad ability was simply that that particular squad can lead that particular platoon.

well spotted chaps

#18 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Not adding to the fray, just saying thanks to all for this thread. I, too, missed the bit on command squads and their special rule. Thanks awefully!

#19 Guidebot

Guidebot

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

This has been a useful read.  Thanks all.

#20 the smeer

the smeer

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Just to throw in the mix, there is some additional info.

Page 88/114:

"Special Orders: The officers of each platoon have acces to a special Order based on the platoon the are leading. The Command Section of each platoon may issue these Orders in addition to any other orders types avaiable to the unit.

Unless specificaly noted, a Hero serving as the Unit's Command section may issue this special order. Heroes leading a unique platoon through their leadership ability, such as Markus, do not have acces to these special orders."

For the Axis these special orders are: Blitzkrieg / Take charge / Wiederbelebungsserum failsafe,

For the Allies these special orders are: Fire for effect / An army of one / Smoke screen.

With all the info combined the number of orders that can be given are dependend on the Command Squad / Hero / Platoon used.

For the Axis this means:

* Kommandotrupp / Heavy Kommandotrupp / Sturmpioniere leading a Platoon:

• Free special order (page 118)
  • 1 additional order for being a Command Squad" (page 54)
  • may issue a number of orders equal to the number of HITS rolled in the Initiave phase (with a minimum of one) (page 30)

* Sigrid von Thaler / Lara / Stefan or Manfred leading a Platoon:

• Free special order: "Blitzkrieg" (page 118)
  • may issue a number of orders equal to the number of HITS rolled in the Initiave phase (with a minimum of one) (page 30)

* Markus / Totenmeister leading a Platoon:

At least this is how I read this.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS