With roughly 6 weeks to go, I thought it would be a good time to post some more detailed information for the Chicago Area Regional. The Chicago Area Regional will be the LAST CHANCE to participate in a 2012 Regional competition before Gencon in August and the World Championships in November. (Yes, there is a Regional in Tennessee on the same day, but with the time difference, this is still the "last chance".)
Place: Games Plus, 101 W. Prospect Dr., Mount Prospect, Illinois, 60056
Date: Saturday, June 30, 2012
Time: 12 noon (registration), 1pm (first round begins)
Format: Joust Format. 4-5 Rounds of Swiss pairing (single game, not best of 3…), cutting to single elimination (4-12, depending on turn out)
Rules: All standard AGoT rules, as outlined in the Core Set Rulebook, Current FAQ, and Tournament Rules will be followed. REMINDER: Cards from the "Beyond the Narrow Sea" Chapter Pack cycle will not be legal at the Regional, even though the first 2 packs may be available by June 30.
Entry Fee: $5. That's right, just $5.
Agenda of Events:
Friday, June 29th: Starting around 6pm, we will do a "meet and greet" with casual play of AGoT (and anything else people are in the mood to play) at the store for anyone who is around and wants to get together. It's a great opportunity to get to know people, tweak decks, see how other metas are approaching the game, and so forth the serious competition begins.
Saturday, June 30th: Registration begins at noon. The first round of Swiss will start at 1pm. This will be a Joust competition with a cut to single-elimination rounds for the Top 4-12 after Swiss (depending on turnout) to determine the winner of the Regional. Standard AGoT tournament rules will apply. All deckbuilding rules, including banned and restricted lists, will be used. Cards from the "Beyond the Narrow Sea" cycle will not be legal. Period. Decklists are preferred (please come with them prepared at registration….). Regional Prize support from FFG includes a trophy for the winner, stylish wooden House cards for the finalists, kick-ass play mats for the Top 4, art prints for the Top 8, and special Regionals House cards for the Top 16.
Thinking of heading home if you don't make the elimination cut? Well, don't! During the elimination rounds, we are holding a Draft event for everyone else! We will be drafting from booster packs from CCG sets. For anyone who has never drafted AGoT, it is a blast. The deck construction rules in AGoT draft are as follows:
- We will be drafting 4 booster packs for a total of 44 cards. These 44 cards will be supplemented with basic resources (see below)
- Minimum deck size is 40 cards. (With 21 possible supplemental cards, maximum size is 65)
- There is no copy limit. If you draft 8 of something, you can use 8 of something.
- Nothing is banned or restricted. If you draft it, you can use it.
- When building your deck, you may use 2 Houses (including "House only" cards from either House) instead of 1. If you do, you may not use an Agenda (if you drafted one) and will need 20 power to win instead of 15.
- Plot decks are 7 cards, chosen from among the basic 7 supplemented for each player (see below) and those that are drafted. "House only" restrictions on plot cards are enforced.
In building the deck, you can supplement the cards you draft with the following basic resource locations and plots:
- 3x Crossroads (Core Set)
- 3x The Roseroad (Kings of the Storm)
- 3x The Searoad (Kings of the Storm)
- 3x Kingsroad Fiefdom (Queen of Dragons)
- 3x Narrow Sea (Core Set, Lords of Winter, Kings of the Storm)
- 3x Summer Sea (Core Set, Princes of the Sun, Queen of Dragons)
- 3x Sunset Sea (Core Set, Kings of the Sea, Lions of the Rock)
- Counting Favors (Core Set)
- Fleeing to the Wall (Core Set)
- Summoning Season (Core Set)
- Wildfire Assault (Core Set)
- Alliance (Princes of the Sun)
- Calm Before the Storm (Lords of Winter)
- Regroup (Kings of the Storm)
While we will try to have extra sets of these 28 cards available at the event, it would be really, really helpful if people could pull their own from their collections.
If there are any questions, contact me through PM or at email@example.com
Should be a great day playing a great game. Hope to see tons of people there.