Photo

Well, I picked up my "The Long Dark" adventure pack today! Some great stuff in this one!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hero: Hama

Traits: Rohan. Warrior.

Threat: 9

wp-1 att-3 def-1 life-4

Response: After Hama is declared as an attacker, return a (tactics symbol) event from your discard pile to your hand. Then, choose and discard 1 card from your hand. 

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

am i the only one who thinks hama er…sucks?

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Lenbo

Lenbo

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, this guy's more interesting:

[Unique] Erestor

Type: Ally Sphere: Leadership

Cost: 4

Willpower: 2 Attack: 0 Defense: 1 Hit Points: 3

Noldor.

Action: Choose and discard 1 card from your hand to draw 1 card. (Limit once per round.)

---

Some interesting event cards too:

Word of Command

Type: Event Sphere: Lore

Cost: 1

Action: Exhaust an Istari character to search your deck for 1 card and add it to your hand. Shuffle your deck.

---

Love of Tales

Type: Attachment Sphere: Lore

Condition.

Attach to a [Lore] hero. Limit 1 per hero.

Response: After a Song card is played, add 1 resource to attached hero's resource pool.

#4 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

richsabre said:

I totally agree. What we need is a DEFENSE tactics hero not another attacking themed one. We already have 4 of those! (Gimli, Legolas, Elladan, and Brand) not even counting Boromir (because I think he can make a pretty good defender also).

I'm not too thrilled. However, it is cool having a Tactics rohan hero although, again, it would have been even better to have him be a defender so you could run Eowyn, Hama, and Dunhere. Oh well. He acts as a replacement for Dunhere I guess, if you want to do some more direct combat instead of Dunhere style combat.

Brian on Cardboard of the Rings should be happy at least!

#5 Beano

Beano

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

While I can't claim that Hama is great, I think he is roughly in line with other Tactics heroes. I expect to continue to see a theme of Tactics heroes and characters benefiting from attacking. I was hoping that we would get one that actually resulted in a net card draw (even if it meant you had to kill an enemy). So to that end, I am rather disappointed.

#6 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hama is great!

As long as you keep getting enemies to fight, you can have Feint or Unseen Strike or something every turn once you find one.

Or in an Eagle deck, you could do The Eagles Are Coming  every turn to get a hecka eagle army out fast and to quickly power up the Eagles of Misty Mountains.

And he's Rohan for all those tricks.

A bunch of cards from this pack look great though.

#7 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hama is fantastic. The ability to recur cards like Feint or Hail of Stones is pretty insane. If you're playing mono-Tactics or using Song of Battle, you can stall enemy attacks indefinitely with Thicket of Spears. Under the right circumstances, he's actually one of the best defensive heroes in the game, as he turns any card in your hand into an event that negates an enemy attack. 

Basically, you no longer have to be judicious with your Tactics events. Do I use Feint on this Mountain Warg or save it for The Watcher? With Hama, I don't have to choose. That's a terrific advantage.

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Interesting hero, especially for solo players. Yes, playing Feint or Quick Strike every single round looks very promising (but costy). This is especially true for the Dwarrowdwelf expansions in which shadow effects are getting really nasty. I consider it a big help to be able to prevent them from happening.

Hama is also strong in attack, so all you need is a Veteran Axehand to kill most of the feinted enemies in a single turn.

#9 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hm doesn´t cost you anything if you end up with no cards in hand. Happens quite often for me when playing with tactics. 

#10 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

muemakan said:

Hm doesn´t cost you anything if you end up with no cards in hand. Happens quite often for me when playing with tactics. 

If you start with 0 cards in hand, after using Hama, won't you have to discard the card you just picked up? First you pick a card and put it into your hand, then have to pick and choose a card to discard and since you only have 1 card in hand…

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#11 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

right, seems like they thought of that…

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

Narsil0420 said:

richsabre said:

I totally agree. What we need is a DEFENSE tactics hero not another attacking themed one. We already have 4 of those! (Gimli, Legolas, Elladan, and Brand) not even counting Boromir (because I think he can make a pretty good defender also).

I'm not too thrilled. However, it is cool having a Tactics rohan hero although, again, it would have been even better to have him be a defender so you could run Eowyn, Hama, and Dunhere. Oh well. He acts as a replacement for Dunhere I guess, if you want to do some more direct combat instead of Dunhere style combat.

Brian on Cardboard of the Rings should be happy at least!

I agree, too. I get where they're coming from with this ability, since Hama retrieves the sword for Theodin, they gave him a card-retrieving ability. But I think giving him a 1 for attack and 3 for defense would have been great. After all, he was standing guard to Theodin's hall, so a defensive build would have been perfect for him. Then the response could have triggered when he was declared as a defender instead of as an attacker.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#13 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

leptokurt said:

Interesting hero, especially for solo players. Yes, playing Feint or Quick Strike every single round looks very promising (but costy). 

Why costly? It's a cycle, you choose two cards to swap places. There is virtually no cost involved.
His ability turns any card in your hand in any card in your discard pile, even Unique events (when they exist). He also can only become stronger with the passing of APs bringing more Tactics events to the table.

I find him amusing. Way more interesting than the Reponse Twins.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#14 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

I find the complaints about his defense amusing.  As long as you draw one feint card he is one of, if not the, best defensive heroes in the game.

#15 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

If you want to rely on Feint, go ahead. First, though, you have to draw Feint, and if you're playing with one core, you'll only have two copies in your deck. If you never draw Feint in the first place, your strategy is shot. If it works, you're right, it is a good defensive strategy because it opens up one more attack action because you have one less character to declare as a defender. But let's say you have two engaged enemies. You Feint against one, but still have to defend against the other. It would be nice to have a Tactics hero that excels at defense instead of offense.

See, at least with a defensive Tactis hero, the hero always has the option of defending, rather than relying on drawing the right card for the Hama strategy.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#16 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

How would Hama interact with quick strike? Does exhausting and resolving your attack (as quick strike reads) function as "declaring as an attacker?"

I think he looks solid for his cost. I was hoping for a high quest (3) hero, as i still dont think solo tactics is at all playable, or another dwarf, but I think this works well for allowing me to dabble some tactics into my pure rohan deck.

#17 Shelfwear

Shelfwear

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Bohemond said:

I find the complaints about his defense amusing.  As long as you draw one feint card he is one of, if not the, best defensive heroes in the game.

+1 for this

And "The eagles are coming" in an egale deck to get all your eagles into your hand in few turns (paying for Hamas abilty with multiple Landrowals afterwards for example)

Awesome Hero

#18 Drengi

Drengi

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Just saw the Hama card as it is in the preview, the artwork is brilliant! Another excellent example!

#19 Golden_Nightingale

Golden_Nightingale

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

I agree that Hama is a much stronger hero than many people are realizing. Like someone said, he has the ability to retrieve specific events to defeat enemies before any defenders are involved (Quick Strike) or negate an attack from an enemy, possibly multiples (Feint). Another thing that no one is mentioning is that this guy is a Rohan Warrior. He could be put into a Rohan deck and benefit from different Rohan synergies. However, I would have gladly traded a 10 threat hero for +1 on the defense but I can't wait to put this guy on the war path. I think he might work really well in a Rohan deck or Tactic/Leadership with the Twins. As long as resources don't become an issue The Twins and Hama have the ability to defend and attack with some ferocity.

#20 Golden_Nightingale

Golden_Nightingale

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Drengi said:

Just saw the Hama card as it is in the preview, the artwork is brilliant! Another excellent example!

Agreed. Pretty stellar artwork. Love the sword and shield, pretty BA. Hama on the card is way better than the Hollywood movie version.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS