Halfling Slayer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 odd

odd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

So I did a quick game this weekend with a halfling thug, and thought it would be fun to make a halfling thug that basically takes the slayer's oath.  How would you go about making this?  I was thinking at least daggers (calling them swords) and twin strike, maybe dirty fighting just to get the halflingness in there?

You guys have any other ideas?

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

Won't he have to first become "an honourary dwarf" and then be so shamed he must take the oath?  Otherwise I would "reskin" what you're doing and even if using same career card not call it "slayer".

#3 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

Yeah I would recommend "re-skinning".

We did something similar in a human-only campaign, using the High Elf Swordmaster (an all associated action cards) for a Human Duellist (before the many nice expansions came out and eventually covered this).

#4 odd

odd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

I don't mean a reskin, I mean a Halfling thug trying to imitate a slayer, not actually be a slayer.

#5 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

Why they had to put the Halflings as a playable race!? Why in the seven hells?? Why?

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#6 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

odd said:

I don't mean a reskin, I mean a Halfling thug trying to imitate a slayer, not actually be a slayer.

Well in that case you have two choices:

1) use the actual Slayer Career (unless you have purists in your group who will be annoyed);

2) Go by the rules and make the halfling take the most combat oriented careers with Menial or Rogue trait. His character tries to imitate the concept, which is a very amusing idea!

#7 Callidon

Callidon

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

Just use the Slayer card data, and cook up Maniac as a career path using Strange Eons (or use theater of the mind).   Start with Maniac instead of Slayer…then Raving Maniac instead of Troll Slayer.  Then leave the higher order Slayer careers like Dragon Slayer and Daemon Slayer for true Dwarf Slayer characters so as not to open the flood gates for every non-dwarf to have a slayer template. 

But you still get to have a Halfling Thug > Maniac > Raving Maniac to properly re-create the Hamster Style scene from the end of Orgazmo.

STUFF:

Edge of the Empire: Talent Trees; Force Powers; Character Sheet

#8 Fenderstat

Fenderstat

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

odd said:

I was thinking at least daggers (calling them swords) and twin strike, maybe dirty fighting just to get the halflingness in there?

You guys have any other ideas?

I told you mate, dual wield hand weapons and call them greatswords, then he'd be mega badass.  Perhaps he can ride a goblin into battle aswell?

WFRP3 Online game forum - http://ffgvirtualrpg.prediger.at/

#9 thejondifool

thejondifool

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

i was so sure this was going to be about a hafling that swear an oath to never leave an table before its empty.

#10 odd

odd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

Fender: This is what I was planning, but I was looking for tips on actions, ability scores, talents, etc.

thejondifool: All halflings are born with that oath ;)

#11 odd

odd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

So to rehash this.  Someone meantioned that having a halfling mimic a slayer will just get him slaughtered, so the concept (and just rp wise) should be rekindled.

So how would a halfling adapt the slayer code?

#12 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

I promise bring vengeance and/or render harmless and/or steal everything from those who have not eaten all their supper and/or lickedtheir plates clean.

My oath as a Pie Slayer shall supercede any and all other activities except second breakfast, elevensies, afternoon tea, dinner, supper, bedtime snack, midnight snack, and the occasional smoke after intimacy.

I AM…

#13 odd

odd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

I more mean, troll slayers promise no armor or ranged weapons and seek glorious death.

This works well for them since they get class features for this, but how would a halfling?  I'm looking for ideas for combat orientedness.  I'm thinking no stealthing (but not necisarily walking up middle of street either).  Still debating about armor, and maybe only slings/thrown weapons?

#14 Sarbaek

Sarbaek

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

If it was me, I think I'd go about it by simply staying in the Thug career and just call myself a Slayer and do as all halflings. Just pick the best parts of the slayer oath and ignore the rest. For instance if you are asked why you are wearing armour, you could just reply that not wearing armour is just stupid and reckless and act as if the person asking is stupid. I mean Halflings are pretty much comic relief as is, so you might as well play on that.

There would be great roleplaying aspects in this :)

#15 Stuntie

Stuntie

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

My immediate hope was that you meant halfling slayer in the same way troll slayers slay trolls.

I'd say run his as a slayer rules wise, it is a state of mind as much as an actuallity. So go with the same rules.

Howver I would have any dwarfs he meets rolling their eyes and treating him as a loon for trying to be a slayer.
Good old fashioned predudice - 'you ain't a dwarf so how can you be a slayer?'

Any dwarven slayers he meets would probably be mortified and indignant and may even he angered and insulted by his belief that he is a slayer.
Although proving his worth by deeds may downgrade this to just sighs, mutters and snide comments (which is probably not much better than a halfling would get from a slayer in general)

And you can imagine the derision any Human warrior types would hold him in…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS