7 replies to this topic

#1 Nonimus

Nonimus

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Hy,

Objective card  "I took control of 3 planets this turn"

Q: Do I need to keep control of these planets until the next status phase or not?

#2 VirusSixZero

VirusSixZero

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

I would say yes. The important word is "control". It can be argued that you may take a planet, but if another player takes it within a few moves, you never really had control over it. Holding a planet to at least that round's status phase would be the minimum in my eyes. You do the checks for objective qualifications in the status phase. If you no longer hold one of the three planets you took, you would have to remember you did which can be a bit hairy. In general objective qualifiers are tangible things you can present as evidence. A planet you held for 3 moves is intangible if you have lost it again by the status phase.

Unless someone can swoop in with an FAQ reference, I'd say this one is down to a player interpretation vote at the table.

#3 Treguard

Treguard

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

I believe VirusSixZero is correct in that you need to have the planets in your possession come status phase, in that I personally read the card as "I took control of 3 planets this turn- and here they are!" but I could be wrong. Unfortunately our group hasn't come across this issue due to various circumstances, so make of this what you will.

#4 Kerrin2

Kerrin2

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

You must meet the conditions of the objective card at the time it is claimed.

Objective cards are usually claimed during the status phase. Another time they can be claimed is during use of the Bureaucracy strategy card's primary from the Shattered Empire expansion.

#5 Shadow

Shadow

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

"I took control of 3 planets" means you captured 3 planets this round.   Nothing else.

You do not have to hold the 3 planets when claiming this objective.

The " I control 11 planets" does mean you must own 11 planets at the time of claiming the objective.

TI rules and wording are done with the bare minimum worlds.   If anything more is required it would state it or add it in the FAQ.

Biggest mistake for new players is to add their own interpretation to the wording or add extra conditions that are not intended.

#6 Nonimus

Nonimus

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Q2:  Is it legal for two players to claim the same planet for the purpose of "I took control" in the same round?

Example: P1 capure one planet, then P2 fight against P1 on that planet and win

Legend:

P1 - Player 1

P2 - Player 2 

#7 VirusSixZero

VirusSixZero

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Upon review, I think Shadow has the best thought process. Personally I think holding the planet to status phase should be the intention, but I don't think it is.

So if you go with what the card says, then yes, two players can qualify for that objective using the same planet. The fact that it was taken, is all that matters, not who was the last one, or the current owner of the planet.

#8 Shadow

Shadow

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

For a recapturing the same planet for the " I took control of 3 planets", many times a trade station system  is used. 

Player 1 moves a 1 crusier with 1 ground to take the trade station and planet.  That counts as taking control of two planets for Player 1.

Player 2, retakes the trade station and planet with his main fleet.  That also counts as taking control of two planets for Player 2.

This is a very common practice in twilight 3 for the objective of " I took control of 3 planets" and the " Invade 1 planet with 1 ground troop".

If the players are cooperationg, they negotiate over the trade goods from the trade station.

Such friendly cooperation ends at 5 or 6 VPs because then any player can score his Secret objective for 2 VPs and a Public II objective for 2 VPs and win the game.   The cooperation is mainly done so both players can stay up with everyone else in VPs and to make sure your main fleet is in proper position for the end game.  You do not want to be distracted by needing to kick out some player who move his main fleet in on you to score 1 VP.

At 5 or 6 VPs,  all cooperative deals can be ended without notice and backstabbing be done with impunity.  

But generally, if it does not hurt you, you try to warn your neighbor at status that all deals are broken unless such notice would cost you winning the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS