How many Platoons in a Medium Force?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TakeshiKovacs

TakeshiKovacs

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

In the Army List Thread HuronBH said he was surprised that DW players were only using 1 platoon in 300 pt. games and that tactical flexibility was being sacrificed by not taking 2 platoons. I haven't played my first game yet (will be playing this weekend) but greater tactical flexibility sounds good to me. The first advantage that comes to mind is 24" (or 2 12" zones) of Command Section radius as well as multiple Radiomen if the Command Sections have them. There may be other advantages I'm overlooking. In a 300 pt. match 1 beefy plt. does sound fun (as an axis player I'm thinking multiple Konigsluther's) but I don't know if it's better to take 2 smaller platoons. At 400 pts. 2 platoons seems like  no brainer but I'm still not sure. I know this is a new game (I can't be the only guy that never played or owned Tactics) and that people are still getting their initial collection of models together so they might not have everything needed for 2 platoons. 

TL;DR 1 or 2 platoons at games between 201-400 pts. and why?

#2 CrayolaSmoker

CrayolaSmoker

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

I think for most forces the cost of command sections + mandatory 1st Sections makes running 2 platoons at 200 points prohibitively expensive, barring characters used to unlock special platoon structures.

At 300 points, I'm having a hard time finding reasons not to have two platoons. At that point level you're almost certainly including two squads that can act as mandatory 1st sections, so point wise you're only looking at adding the cost of command. Discounting specialized platoons (Red Devils, Zombies, Apes), that's anywhere from 15-35 points with 5 of each faction's 7 options 20 AP or over. I know that's the cost of a light walker, but the tactical flexibility of two command squads (and ressulting command radius) should give most light walkers a run for their money.

#3 Azrell

Azrell

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

2 platoons more special orders. More rep/mec. I cant really see a down side.

#4 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Im usually at about a platoon and a half on normal lists with full support slots normally.  About 12 units or thereabouts in 300 point games

#5 TakeshiKovacs

TakeshiKovacs

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

You guys have confirmed what I was thinking. At 200 pts 2 platoons isn't really doable but at 300+ it seems like the way to go. When I put in my order of minis I went for 1 platoon (Schwer) with extras for customization and only 1 Command Section. Good thing I'm addicted to buying game stuff and now I have a reason to immediately buy more minis if I dig the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS