• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whelan0kkult

whelan0kkult

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hello Everyone,

Ok I will start off with an apology since I am sure I will have many questions in the weeks to come. Last night my girl and I decided to stop by our local gaming store to see if we could find a board game to play due to the fact that on most nights we find ourselves doing the same old stuff. Anyways being a HUGE Lovecraft fan, I saw Arkham Horror and instantly grabbed it knowing I would love to play the game. We got home, opened it up, punched everything out, and went through the game setup section exactly as the Rules Book instructed us to do. Then we started our first game and started coming across a few situations that did not make sense to us.

The first being Monster Movement, now we think we understand how it works. During the Mythos Phase you pull a Mythos card, a gate opens, you draw a monster from the monster cup. You match the monsters little green symbol with the appropriate matching symbol on the Mythos card in either the black or white bar…easy enough. However we had situations where the monsters we would draw would not have symbols that match the Mthos card that was pulled…does that mean that that monster can not move? Sorry if it sounds confusing , but that's how we feel…utterly confused.

#2 Bluebird79

Bluebird79

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

Correct, if the monster symbol does not match any symbol displayed on the mythos card then it stays where it is.

#3 whelan0kkult

whelan0kkult

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Can it move after the card is discarded or does it stay there until it's killed?

#4 Hugues

Hugues

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

In fact, every monsters on the board are subject to the Mythos card. Not only the one drawn.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

You should probably go back to the Mythos card resolution section in the core rules, it's done pretty well, and will solve your doubts much better than my words

But anyway, whenever you draw a Mythos card, your third step is resolving the monsters movement. So: you check the symbols on the card and check the monsters on the board; those having a matching dimensional symbol move, regardless of when they entered play.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Krawhitham

Krawhitham

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

I do not mean to be patronising when I say this but…. keep reading the rules!

Don't just consult them every time you play, pick it up and read a section away from game time. I found things I was doing small things wrong 2 years after buying the game.

#7 whelan0kkult

whelan0kkult

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thank you all for the proactive and very helpful responses. I will take every bit of advice and use it to better my enjoyment and the enjoyment of my friends with this game.

#8 Tbla

Tbla

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Another thing that I find very useful is to read old threads in this forum. You will find clarifications about rules that you didn't even know were unclear. Besides it is a nice way to waste some time.

The best thread to start with is the official answers from Kevin Wilson but there is more… so much more.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS