7 replies to this topic

#1 Squall

Squall

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

hi guys ! it's me again :)

I have some questions about magic now.

what i have read in the book , only a few is born with "the gift" (witch all magic user needs!) . I also understand that Zeon is like Mana , and that MA on the character sheet tells you how mutch Zeon you can gather in one day (without accumelatin(spellingxD?). And Zeon on the character sheet means how mutch Zeon you're character can have. And magic projection (MP) is kinda like ATTACK , but for wizards, warlocks etc. and now i have some questions:

1. Is it really needed to use an imbalance on you're magic projection ? and how do i know how mutch points i can place there ? and where does the point's come from ? my DP ? an exampel would be me having a character with MP 40 , and i want him to be offence ,  and i want to put 20 points in balance , so i should have: offence 60 , Defence 20 , and i cant have more than a 30 points differing?

2. what is "innate magic" really used for ? what does it mean ?

thank you guys for the help :)

#2 Gitface

Gitface

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi

Off the top of my head I'm not sure with the Magic Projection imbalance, but in my opinion you don't want to imbalance them as they are both important to live.

MA is both used to determine how much Zeon you get back a day and also much you can call upon or draw from your pool in a round.  So if you had a MA of 30 and wanted to cast a spell of 90 Zeon you would have to accumalte for 3 rounds before you can cast you spell, this also drains that 90 from your pool.  Therefore if you had a pool of 200 zeon then you will be able to do one more spell of 90 zeon before gaining more zeon back.

Innate magic is a mages best friend and something you want to cultivate.  If you have a MA high enough to say have a innate of 60 then you can cast a spell each round of up to 60 zeon that will not drain your zeon pool.  In effect it turns you into the ever ready bunny instead of a one shot wonder.

Hope that helps.

Gitface……

#3 Squall

Squall

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

so basicly: MA is how mutch zeon i get in a day , also how mutch i can use in a round.

And if i had a MA of ex. 80 i would have 30 zeon every round ,  and could cast any spell that costed 30 zeon WITHOUT drawing from my zeon pool?

#4 Gitface

Gitface

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yep,  innate magic is your friend also don't forget there is an advantage that can increase your innate magic by up to 30 points.

Gitface……………..

#5 Squall

Squall

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

i thank thy for sharing thou wisdom upon me gitface. :)

#6 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Squall said:

1. Is it really needed to use an imbalance on you're magic projection ? and how do i know how mutch points i can place there ? and where does the point's come from ? my DP ? an exampel would be me having a character with MP 40 , and i want him to be offence ,  and i want to put 20 points in balance , so i should have: offence 60 , Defence 20 , and i cant have more than a 30 points differing?

2. what is "innate magic" really used for ? what does it mean ?

1) There is no need to imbalance your Magic Projection, but it can help. The points are from your MP, it does not cost anything to imbalance your Projection, the imbalance is a boon and a penalty. Lets take a more realistic level 1 spending 180pts in Projection, with 8 DEX for 90+10=100 Projection. They can have 100 Projection which works as both offence (shooting fireballs) and defence (magic shields). The imbalance is useful for the same reason an imbalance in a fighters Attack and Defence is useful, lets say you have an imbalance of -15 (Offensive -15, Defence +15) this gives you a 115 to defend, giving you a much better chance of not being hit, but only an 85 to attack, making your chance of hitting much worse (theoretically about 15% better and 15% worse).

2) Innate Magic is as said above, a pool of mana you can use every round to cast and maintain Innate Spells. However there are a few a disadvantages of using these (otherwise this would be all anyone uses);
1} You cannot accumulate it. If you have 60 Innate Zeon Points you can only cast a spell of up to 60Zeon cost, you can never use a stronger spell.
2} It is all  the magic you can do that round. You cannot cast a normal spell in the same round as an Innate Spell, nor can you accumulate magic in the same round you cast an innate spell,
3} One spell at a time. While you can maintain an Innate Spell without using any Zeon, you cannot use another innate spell as long as you maintain your first one.
Innate magic can be extremely useful for keeping low cost spells with per-round maintenance up nearly forever (such as shields), and at high levels it works for many attacks. Also, you can accumulate and cast normal spells while maintaining an Innate Spell, just not in the round your casting it.

3) MA is how much you accumulate in a round, and the basis for your Zeon Recovery (which I call ZR), but MA does not always equal your ZR. You can buy ZR with DP (costing half of a MA) or you can get the magic Advantage, 'Superior Magic Recovery' which doubles, tripples, or quadruples your ZR (for 1,2 and 3CP respectively, making your ZR = MAx2, MAx3, or MAx4 respectively).

#7 The Dread Polack

The Dread Polack

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

I like to think of your personal Zeon as a pool you draw from and Innate Magic as a fountain, or hose. Your zeon can run out, and you have to wait for it to refill, but innate magic is a costant flow that you can utilize whenever you want, which never flows through your pool. If it is like a hose, then the spell you cast with your innate magic is attached to the end of that hose, and draws zeon directly from it.

Maybe not a perfect analogy, but I like it :)

#8 Rii Nagaja

Rii Nagaja

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Innate Magic is more like the ability of a magician to manipulate the natural magical energy of the world that surrounds him (and that is the reason why it never runs out). While drawing from the your internal stored energy is a secure thing, a highly skilled or powerful magician might just alter the way in which the magic flows in his surrounding, so that it immitates a spell (which is a very economic way to use energy). That is also why you can only use your innate magic ability once per round, because it literally represents your full proficiency of ähh, 'magic dynamics alteration weaving', yes. Its a question similar to how fast you could type.

Also, if the surrounding energy levels are for some reasons is higher or lower than usually (ancient temple area, meteor crater, magic bann, void dimension etc.), your innate magic skill is influenced too (it gets easier or harder).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS