Are there any black border cards that are legal LCG

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hand of Osiris

Hand of Osiris

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

or are all black border cards CCG and illegal?

#2 KristoffStark

KristoffStark

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hand of Osiris said:

or are all black border cards CCG and illegal?

Any CCG card that has been reprinted exactly in LCG is legal.

#3 Fieras

Fieras

• Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Additionally, the Clash of Arms set in LCG printed some black cards.  Those are all legal too.

#4 kauai1964

kauai1964

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Look at the Card ID -- Symbol, Letter and Number on the Center-Right Side of the card.

If the Letter is:

F (for Fixed) are all LCG and legal.

R (Rare), U (Uncommon), C (Common), and P (Promo) are usually not legal.

#5 Khail

Khail

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

If you check the LCG Cardlist over at CardgameDB you can actually see the black borders on the Clash of Arms card scans.  Along with the F next to the card number mentioned by Kauai.

#6 AegonTargaryen

AegonTargaryen

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

kauai1964 said:

Look at the Card ID -- Symbol, Letter and Number on the Center-Right Side of the card.

If the Letter is:

F (for Fixed) are all LCG and legal.

R (Rare), U (Uncommon), C (Common), and P (Promo) are usually not legal.

That is not correct. For example,  cards from the "ITE Legacy pack" also have an "F" letter, but are not LCG legal. 

To find out which cards are legal, best check the lists of all available cards at www.cardgamedb.com or at www.agotcards.org. On the agotcards.org "Cards" page , all LCG legal sets are listed on a blue background, while the older sets are listed on a yellow-green background.

#7 Hand of Osiris

Hand of Osiris

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

This is a real fubar on Fantasy Flight Games, to the point of IMO they are absolutely 'insert choice word here'.  Our forming group in Seattle is now starting to see cracks due to arguments between what is legal and not.  No one is going to go to any website or print some FAQ, and people are seemingly not going to stop playing cards which were just purchased (like this week).  Now we are just having to deal with the idea that every game has an asterix at the end of it.

#8 Stag Lord

Stag Lord

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

What?

If you are a new group - where are you purchashing card with balck borders? FFG haven't really printed any new black border cards for four years?

#9 Professor Nomos

Professor Nomos

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hand of Osiris said:

This is a real fubar on Fantasy Flight Games, to the point of IMO they are absolutely 'insert choice word here'.  Our forming group in Seattle is now starting to see cracks due to arguments between what is legal and not.  No one is going to go to any website or print some FAQ, and people are seemingly not going to stop playing cards which were just purchased (like this week).  Now we are just having to deal with the idea that every game has an asterix at the end of it.

Only one set of lcg cards was ever printed with black borders.  If your cards came in a box and not a booster pack you are safe. If you purchased ccg cards then you made a mistake.   

#10 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

How is it FFG's fault that your local retailer sells cards that are not legal? I'm pretty sure that is on your retailer for not having them clearly marked or members of your group for not reading what they are buying. The LCG cards clearly state they are LCG, the CCG cards state they are CCG.

#11 Khail

Khail

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hand of Osiris said:

This is a real fubar on Fantasy Flight Games, to the point of IMO they are absolutely 'insert choice word here'. Our forming group in Seattle is now starting to see cracks due to arguments between what is legal and not. No one is going to go to any website or print some FAQ, and people are seemingly not going to stop playing cards which were just purchased (like this week). Now we are just having to deal with the idea that every game has an asterix at the end of it.

We didn't really have any arguments sir, just confusion on what was legal. I thought the same thing a few weeks ago, until I began researching what to buy when I started building my collection.

The cards from the A Clash of Arms chapter packs are from the first set of the LCG, and they have black borders (unlike anything after that cycle), but they are definitely LCG legal - not partially legal or questionably legal. There's no asterix due to a question of card legality.

Check the Fantasy Flight website for AGoT LCG Products if you want a difinitive answer - the A Clash of Arms packs are the chapter packs I purchased, and the black boredered cards came out of them - and those cards match the spoiler lists for the chapter packs found on any number of websites. Some of the cards are even listed in the restricted list (such as the "Fury of the …" plots) in the FAQ for the LCG, downloaded from the FFG website as well.

#12 Professor Nomos

Professor Nomos

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Khail said:

Hand of Osiris said:

This is a real fubar on Fantasy Flight Games, to the point of IMO they are absolutely 'insert choice word here'. Our forming group in Seattle is now starting to see cracks due to arguments between what is legal and not. No one is going to go to any website or print some FAQ, and people are seemingly not going to stop playing cards which were just purchased (like this week). Now we are just having to deal with the idea that every game has an asterix at the end of it.

We didn't really have any arguments sir, just confusion on what was legal. I thought the same thing a few weeks ago, until I began researching what to buy when I started building my collection.

The cards from the A Clash of Arms chapter packs are from the first set of the LCG, and they have black borders (unlike anything after that cycle), but they are definitely LCG legal - not partially legal or questionably legal. There's no asterix due to a question of card legality.

Check the Fantasy Flight website for AGoT LCG Products if you want a difinitive answer - the A Clash of Arms packs are the chapter packs I purchased, and the black boredered cards came out of them - and those cards match the spoiler lists for the chapter packs found on any number of websites. Some of the cards are even listed in the restricted list (such as the "Fury of the …" plots) in the FAQ for the LCG, downloaded from the FFG website as well.

Also I might add that any player not willing to print out updated FAQs for any competitive game is asking to be surprised, which is close cousin to losing.

#13 Khail

Khail

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Penfold said:

How is it FFG's fault that your local retailer sells cards that are not legal? I'm pretty sure that is on your retailer for not having them clearly marked or members of your group for not reading what they are buying. The LCG cards clearly state they are LCG, the CCG cards state they are CCG.

To be fair - the LGS wasn't selling old  AGoT CCG cards (or any AGoT cards for that matter).  I and a couple of the other guys in the group picked up some of the A Clash of Arms packs from online retailers - they weren't available locally.  Also, the confusion was heightened a bit because I had one of the boxes handy (the Epic Battles chapter pack) which is clearly marked that it is for the Game of Thones CCG, and doesn't say LCG anywhere on the box… yet it is clearly an LCG legal chapter pack according to FFG's website.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS