Yeah, We've got an App for that!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

I have a question:  Anybody know of any computer genius types out there working on a list-building App for iOS and Android devices out there?

Of all the apps I've ever used, the ones I use the most are list-generating Apps for my miniature wargames. I'd easily pay a fair price for a good one. Please tell me someone is working on this.

FFG, Elder Signs: Omens is awesome. A Dust Warfare List Creator would be even more so!  If you are not working on one yourself, please allow some enterprising individual the opportunity to create one. 

Thank you. 

#2 CSMason26

CSMason26

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:33 AM

Army builder is working on an android/iPhone app and they'll most likely pick up Dust Warfare so… email them ask if they'd do Elder too. They love making money. They've all ready got lists for Warpath which has only been out since November and they update frequently. 

#3 scott242

scott242

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

I've been considering taking a stab at that, actually…got some ideas for a combination army builder/unit ref.

I've done a little bit of IOS development…the programming would be pretty easy, but I'm kind of wondering if enough people would buy it to offset the cost of a developer account…

Also, I'm kind of new to wargaming…do companies tend to mind if you charge money for this sort of thing?

#4 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

warning now scott - they wont take kindly without permittion to create an army builder. By all means do it, but ask permittion first.

I considered it myself, but im not willing to "risk it" so to speak.

#5 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

i have programs for tactics and warfare for pc. Ill probalbly do an android app when i have the time link is in my sig.

#6 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

I'd be in for an IOS version

#7 scott242

scott242

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

caecitas - yeah, figured…pretty much the only reason I haven't tried to prototype something already.  I'd have no problem just doing it for free as a fun utility for the community, but as I said, have to offset the cost of doing it somehow…

Suppose theres also an issue with giving out what's essentially part of the rulebook…I can see them being kind of pissed if you added russians, for example, and then there was less reason to buy their army book when its release.

#8 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

caecitas said:

warning now scott - they wont take kindly without permittion to create an army builder. By all means do it, but ask permittion first.

I considered it myself, but im not willing to "risk it" so to speak.

Both the studio and FFG have been pretty open to community projects like this.  There are blogs with card copies, there are army builders out there already.  Now, the cost part might be an issue, if you charge for the app.  But for the free community stuff, there have been no permission issues so far

#9 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

the warm charitable feeling you'd get should offset any time spent, surely? :P

in all seriousness, it would'nt be creating the tool that'd take the time, it'd be the updating/bug hunting. Ive written something similar recently and the sheer volume of time it'll take to filter through every problem and fix it is alarming. On the plus side, dust takes little to no time to write lists for, so is an app really needed?

#10 CSMason26

CSMason26

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

Ask for donations via paypal from some people who would really benefit from it? That's one option. For me I'm waiting for Army Builder to just release it, in the meantime building a list the old fashion way isn't as difficult as Warhammer considering how many options you have in this book. :P There's no… 5 Gorillas with 1 Melta gun, 2 melta bombs, 1 upgraded sergeant and factoring in close combat weapons… It's just 3 Gorillas. Here are there stats and point cost. Enjoy. ^_^

#11 scott242

scott242

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

Yeah the list building is pretty easy…the part that I'd like to see is an integrated unit reference (in a clean layout) accessible from each unit entry in your list.  In our games at least it would speed things up a lot to not have to pass the book back and forth or mess around with cards.

#12 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

i say go ahead and email them scotty. Worst comes to worst they say no. Also ask if they would be ok with you recieving donations for your work. As with all software development of an exisitng IP, tread carefully and be sure to clarify everything. I doubt they'd go so far as to take serious legal action if they got upset, but having to take down all that hard work can be crushing.

#13 Shadow4ce

Shadow4ce

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

@ caecitas: Is list builder needed?  Nope. But it'd be nice to have a copy of all my lists and the ability to rapidly manipulate them with me at all times. My iPad and iPhone are always nearby, and I never go to my FLGS without them. 

@ CSMason26: Elder Signs: Omens is  game App FFG already did, not anything I need army builder to work on. I was referencing it in hopes the FFG powers that be who created it could work on a Dust Warfare app next. 

@ scott242:  Integrated reference for units would be very desirable to have included as well as the scenario builder. While we're wishing, it'd be perfect to add a Swiss-format tournament pairing function with tie-breaker scenario points tracking. 

Yes, I am a dreamer. 

#14 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

I would just create something like iBodger from Warmachine. Its got all the points values, but none of the stats. That way you don't make FFG mad, but still have a really useful tool to use.

#15 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

take a look at "easy army"  for FOW   its amazing and a nice example of something we could use and its only a dollar to use it…  

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS