Jump to content



Photo

Another topic of my first minis!


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Healdhj

Healdhj

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

Here are a few of my minis in work!

Enjoy

 

Crack Shots

Axis Gorillas

Recon Grenadiers - with basing.

Axis Zombies

 

 



#2 Healdhj

Healdhj

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:37 AM

Been trying my hand at some simple basing techniques. The "pipe" under the gorilla is a standard drinking straw cut to length. Found that tip in these forums too! It did take several costs for the paint to stick to the straw. Started with Undercoat Black, Badab Black, and Chainmail on top of that. I hope to be able to repeat this look but with a rust effect at some point.

With the Crackshots I tried to make it look like they were stnading on either side of a dirt road/trail.

 

Cracked Shots and Axis Gorillas with Basing



#3 Healdhj

Healdhj

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

Here is the complete Recon Grenadiers in battle.

 

And a zombie with some basing completed.

 



#4 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

    Member

  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

 Curious. Which paints are you using and are you watering them down? It's a little hard to see in the pictures but it looks like you might be losing some of the detail in your figures. If you're not watering them down already, I'd recommend you do so and if you are, you might want to water them down some more and apply more thin coats instead of fewer thicker coats.



#5 Healdhj

Healdhj

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Siouxfire said:

 Curious. Which paints are you using and are you watering them down? It's a little hard to see in the pictures but it looks like you might be losing some of the detail in your figures. If you're not watering them down already, I'd recommend you do so and if you are, you might want to water them down some more and apply more thin coats instead of fewer thicker coats.

 

I'm using Citadel and Reaper MSP paints. I've used flow extender on a few pieces. I think the multiple layers on the Zombie heads, for example.

This is the first minis/models or otherwise that I have ever attempted with real interest. I don't count the occasional Star Trek or Star Wars model from my younger years .

 

As for the photos, most are taken with my cell phone, as I seem to be able to get a better effect with it than with my macro enabled digital camera. I've played some with backgrounds and additional lighting too.

I agree it is really hard to see in these pics, but I think overall the Zombies look awesome. Some of my earlier figs, like the Allied Recon Squad, I've gone back and worked on some more as I have learned. Especially with washes.

How do suggest watering down?



#6 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

    Member

  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

I keep a wet palette which is basically a tupperware container with a layer of wet paper towel at the bottom and a layer of baking paper on top. This will keep your paints from drying up too quickly so you can relax and take your time. You can use a dropper to be more accurate with how much water you add to the paints, but I've counted drops from a medium brush adding 30-50% water. To be honest, I really should get a dropper. 



#7 Healdhj

Healdhj

    Member

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info. As I'm still learning a good style and method I try that out.

I find that, especially in lighter colors, Bleached Bone comes to mind, I am needing not two or three coats, but several to get good coverage. I also figured out early about having better quality brushes for fewer brush marks.

I've been nervous about mixing or watering down as I have to clean up my paints after every use and I am affraid I'll never match my original mixture. As I'm only doing one or two figs at a time I wouldn't be mixing much to begin with.

I take it those are normal concerns right

 



#8 Siouxfire

Siouxfire

    Member

  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Healdhj said:

I've been nervous about mixing or watering down as I have to clean up my paints after every use and I am affraid I'll never match my original mixture. As I'm only doing one or two figs at a time I wouldn't be mixing much to begin with.

 

Mixing can be tricky but with Vallejo you can count drops and take note of the mixes you make(something I need to do more often). Watering down doesn't change the color so no need to worry about that. I'm pretty new at all this too but there's a lot of information out there and just reading through these forums is great as you can ask people and they're always happy to share information.

Keep posting your progress.



#9 mgentile7

mgentile7

    Member

  • Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Siouxfire said:

Healdhj said:

 

I've been nervous about mixing or watering down as I have to clean up my paints after every use and I am affraid I'll never match my original mixture. As I'm only doing one or two figs at a time I wouldn't be mixing much to begin with.

 

 

Mixing can be tricky but with Vallejo you can count drops and take note of the mixes you make(something I need to do more often). Watering down doesn't change the color so no need to worry about that. I'm pretty new at all this too but there's a lot of information out there and just reading through these forums is great as you can ask people and they're always happy to share information.

Keep posting your progress.

Save yourselves the trouble and just buy vallejo paints as they come in many colors. Then you dont need to mix so many colors.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS