Complete Newbie Question! RAW??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lynch Pin

Lynch Pin

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Reading through a lot of these forums, i notice many people Referring to RAW! I have no idea what you gents mean by it. From reading this forums, i can tell i want to know what it is and where i get a copy of it?

#2 Rift

Rift

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

It means 'Rules as written'.

So it refers to the rules as they are in the book, without any house-rules or adjustments for common sense. ;)

#3 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

It can lead to some ridiculous things if you go by the Rules As Written without adding common sense into the mix.  I think the best example of this is the Peasant Railgun from DnD 3.5.

EDIT: Thankfully, Fantasy Flight seem to be better at avoiding these sort of problems than WotC is.  We're not going to be seeing any Armsmen Railguns or the like in a 40k RPG unless FFG really goes off the rails.

#4 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

RAW = "Rules as Written".
Essentially, the letter of the law.

RAI = "Rules as Intended".
Essentially, the spirit of the law.

These conflict more often than you'd want to think.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#5 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

ShadowFighter88 said:

It can lead to some ridiculous things if you go by the Rules As Written without adding common sense into the mix.  I think the best example of this is the Peasant Railgun from DnD 3.5.

Pun-Pun is another good example.

I'd edit my previous post, but this forum doesn't allow me to copy/paste properly so meh.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS