Photo

Playing with teammate causing problems need opinions.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xvreaperxv

xvreaperxv

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

So we had 3 people show up tonight to play dust tactics, no problem, we split it 1 vs 2. My opinion was me and my teammate split the units, but on our turn we can activate either my units or his, depending on what we needed. our opponent thought it should go his turn, my turn, his turn, then my partners turn. I thought it would put us at a disadvantage tactically because he could use any unit depending on what he needed but if it was my turn but couldnt do anything with my units but my partner could with his we would be screwed. Any opinions?

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

In your game you essentially just split one side into to and according to the official rules each team takes it in turn to activate 1 unit, so you are correct.  Another option if using fairly large armies (400pts a side) is for both of you to activate a unit followed by the single player to activate two.

#3 xvreaperxv

xvreaperxv

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

thanks, I showed him your reply but he thinks more people will chime in and the results will be 50-50, I just don't see how doing it his way is fair, because it puts the two man team at a huge disadvantage. The way I see it is i'm allowing my other friend to assist me while playing, instead of him sitting and watching, so we shouldn't be penalized for it!

#4 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

I concur with the Major.

#5 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

If one side can chose any unit to activate, then the other side should have the same option.

#6 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

The split activation has sense while you play 2v2. It gives it a spice of strategy

#7 Gimp

Gimp

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

Both sides should operate under the same constraints, unless you are choosing to handicap one side by limiting their activations like that.

Allowing one side to activate any unit in their full force, but forcing another, equally strong force to limit their options, is a significant advantage for the full force activation player.

Any time you limit one side's options, but not the other's, there has to be something that balances that for the game to retain balance.

If your friend wants to play like that, have them split their force in two, and operate it under the same constraints.

#8 fatolaf

fatolaf

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Loophole Master said:

If one side can chose any unit to activate, then the other side should have the same option.

Exactly my thoughts, only obvious advantage is two brains vs one , but his alternative way of doing it is not practical at all. Maybe as an interim solution is to give him a slight points advantage, maybe 25 AP more….

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS