Photo

Does it make sense to buy more than one starter? May need to FFG details…

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 VaultDweller

VaultDweller

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm getting ready to place my pre-order and with the limited information out there today I'm tying to decide…

Does it make sense to buy more than one starter?

Assumptions supporting buying more than one:

1) More than one set of dice is needed or will at least help speed up play. 

2) More than one set of turn / move markers will speed up play.

3) Adding ships to your squadron is a little cheaper if you buy starters instead of the expansions for X-wings and TIEs.

4) Buying one X-Wing ship expansion gets you the rest of the pilots you could use for X-Wings. 

Assumptions supporting NOT buying more than one starter:

1) The starter only includes a basic set of cards to enhance your ships (proton torpedoes for example).

2) More advanced ship enhancements (R2 units for example) are only available in the expansions and you only get one of those per expansion.    

3) Dice packs are available. 

4) The sculpts or paint jobs in the expansion packs are different than the starter. For example, an X-wing that looks like it banking left or right on it's base. 

What else could be added to these assumptions? I know the FFG is nearly absent on the forums but if this game is coming in time for GENCON can we get some more specific product details and a set of rules?

#2 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

I am firmly in the multiple base set camp ( I've pre-ordered four - along with one each of the X and TIE expansions for the new pilots). Assuming you get the 33% off at one of the online retailers, the basic set gets you three ships plus all the extras for $25-26, whereas each expansion, even at 33% off gets you one ship and the cards for about $10. For the style of ships offered in the base set, the base set is a better value, though again, I would buy one of each expansion for the extra pilots (4 or 6, far more than the one ship you get.

All just my opinion, of course…

#3 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

I forgot to add, I haven't heard any mention or rumor that the expansion ships will differ in any way from the base set ones…

#4 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

I plan to buy two of everything except for the dice pack.  If you're planning on getting a bunch of ships any way, look at it like this;  2 Ties, 1 X-wing, 1 dice pack = $55 USD plus tax.  One Starter = $40.  It seems more economical for a person wanting to run fleshed out  games.  I don't know if movement tiles come with the expansion ships. 

#5 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Movement markers 'should' come with the expansion ships. 1) it only makes sense. 2) Wings of War expansions did. 3) looking at the long packaging for the expansions someone posted a link to seems to support this.

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

I know it's all just speculation, but I'd imagine that movement guides would only be in the starter. The longer ones are too big to fit in the expansions I think. Besides, if you had the guides, it wouldn't say, "This is an expansion only. A copy of the X-wing Miniatures Game Core Set is required to play." Well, I guess you'd still need the dice, but you get the drift.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I've been planning on buying two core sets and the dice pack. Thanks for pointing out that you get a second set of dice in the second core set!  At the discount price, you save about $10 by getting two core sets instead of 1 core set, 2 TIE Fighters, 1 X-wing, and 1 dice set. Assuming you are getting the other X-wing and TIE fighter expansions for the pilots anyway, and are only concerned about dice and getting more models on which to put the pilots, two core sets seems to be the cheaper option compared to buying the items separately.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#8 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

I preordered 2 of everything except the dice sets since I'll get 2 sets in the starters.  Less expensive way to get some extra ships + dice + everything else. 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  4 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  5 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ugh, you guys are probably getting free shipping from MM too, aren't you? Lucky dogs… 

#10 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Budgernaut said:

Assuming you are getting the other X-wing and TIE fighter expansions for the pilots anyway, and are only concerned about dice and getting more models on which to put the pilots, two core sets seems to be the cheaper option compared to buying the items separately.

And depending who you play with, you may not even need the pilot cards, but just the stats.

#11 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

Ugh, you guys are probably getting free shipping from MM too, aren't you? Lucky dogs… 

Well, there's one more reason to come visit IG-58 and me.  We're only about 90 minutes away from where FFG is located.  

#12 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Yes, I think at least two base sets are the way to go at least to start.  I think the only real advantage for the expansion X-wing and Tie fighters then is that the included pilots are different. 

You won't have Wedge Antilles if you dont buy the X-wing expansion ship, for example, and you'll only have one of him unless you buy multiples. 

#13 Rogue Kiwi

Rogue Kiwi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Really 2 of everything?

so

4 X-wings

2 Y-wings

2 Advanced Ties

6 Ties

So assuming that the games needs to be balanced Imp Vs Rebel and that 2 ties are balanced against 1 X-wing i am thinking that the above number of ships seems rebel heavy.

Personally i feel that the advanced Tie is rather unique and shoild be reserved for Vader of a high ranking squadron leader so I only see myself needing 1

not sure yet if i will see any value in a second expansion of any of the ships other than the Y-wing and that is because it is the only way to get more Y-wing ships.

I've pre ordered 2 starters ( because I know i want a decent number of generic fighters, one of each expansion and know i will buy at least a 1 more Y-wing

this looks like

3 X-wings

1 Y-wing

versus

5 Ties

1 Advanced Tie

which looks to me more balanced I guess we'll have to see what experience tells us.

#14 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Yep! Orders over $100 ship free. I ordered my basic sets in one order and my expansions in another, just in case the expansions are released afterward. ;)

#15 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Rogue Kiwi said:

Really 2 of everything?

Yup, 2 of everything except the dice.  Came to about $125 with free shipping from miniaturemarket.com.  

May end up a bit Rebel heavy, but I can always add more Imperial later on if need be.  But, to start, I wanted lots of options in terms of pilot/ship/equipment combos. 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  4 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  5 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#16 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Misplaced - delete

#17 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Dog Solitude said:

I. J. Thompson said:

Well, there's one more reason to come visit IG-58 and me.  We're only about 90 minutes away from where FFG is located.  

Shoot, I totally forgot that, Vaughn! I now remember you saying this, but until very recently I had no particular interest in FFG and so spaced it off. We need a Road Trip! In the Snorty!! Well, at least when Release crops up.

#18 Hamlet23

Hamlet23

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

I am also getting two of the base set. I am unsure about the dice pack, do we know how many dice come with the box set?

#19 Dog Solitude

Dog Solitude

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:05 AM

IG-58 said:

We need a Road Trip! In the Snorty!! 

Hooah! 

#20 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hamlet23 said:

I am also getting two of the base set. I am unsure about the dice pack, do we know how many dice come with the box set?

I just assumed (perhaps foolishly) that the base set would come with the same, three red/three green.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS