• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BrotherKane

BrotherKane

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hi all,

I have an idea to run a campaign tracking the progression of several humans from their homeworld, through selection to become Space Marines and on to an epic conclusion as heroes of whatever chapter.

I am thinkg that the best way to run this would be to start off in wfrp (probably 2nd ed to keep the D100 theme) then move to Dark Heresey as the geneseed is first implanted, possibly Rogue trader for Neophytes/scouts and finally Deathwatch when they are fully fledged battle brothers.

However I am struggling to get my head around the conversion of characters at the crucial points.  Does anyone have any advice?  Has anyone done it before?

Thanks in advance…

#2 Noctivagent

Noctivagent

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

I would personally stick with one rule system, and just add in any mechanics that are relative to the portion of the campaign. It is a lot of bookkeeping to transfer characters to new systems.

One way it can be done however is by limiting character level severely, making them advance in level rarely… yet always when transcending to a new system. That way when transferring systems, they are theoretically not losing any power. And if the new system doesn't have any of their old abilities, let them choose only 1 ability from each prior system to transfer with them into the new system. This should give each character a uniqueness that tells of his/her history, and they retain their past without becoming too overpowered.

#3 Erborn

Erborn

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Technically, there is a suggested mechanism for such a transition in the Black Crusade core rulebook. In short:

1. Physical characteristics go as their are (complete with number of Advances taken);

2. Talents and skills are discarded, but player gets to choose 1 skill and talent for every 1.000 EXP his character has upon transition;

3. Character doesn't get starting skills and talents, but receives all the special traits of his new class (career, archetype, whatever);

4. Special abilities (such as race-related traits, mutations, implants, etc) are handled individually.

#4 BrotherKane

BrotherKane

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thanks guys,

I have seen that in BC, but I was wondering if anyone has actually tried it?  Also the 1 skill & talent per 1000 XP seems quite restrictive!

#5 ShadowRay

ShadowRay

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

It is, but it is so that you still have a chance to allign yourself with chosen god because those transfered skills/talents doesn't count.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS