Underused cards

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

There are some cards that I feel are underused. Feel free to add any of your own, but I will share some of mine.

1. Fury of plots: I'm not saying that this should be used often, but if you don't have a ristricted card, these plots are good with 5 gold and 7 initiative. Their added affects are situational, but they can come in handy.

2. Widow's Watch: I find that this is very good against other stark kill decks since you get free dupes. However, it doesn't see much tournament play. I don't know why. Maybe people don't like including two cards of the same character.

3. Salladhor Saan (Kings of the Storm): Maybe the best location control in the game. He isn't limited to non-limited locations, and he is repeatable. He does have the flaws of being a character, having the ally trait, and costing 4 gold, but I think that it is worth it.

4. Euron Crow's Eye (Kings of the Sea): The euron from The Grand Melee is really good, but what if you don't use mill? I know TGM version has draw, but the KOTS version gives everyone you control stealth. I'm not saying that this euron is the best, but he can be good in certian decks.

5. Words Are like Arrows: I know that red vengance is better, but this is not limited to defending, and you probably have the influence from Knights of the Hollow Hill. This is a solid event in my opinion, and I don't see why it isn't played more.

Any other cards I should look out for? How do you feel about my choices? 

#2 Daloofus

Daloofus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

I agree with Saan being a pretty great card. Everybody doesnt always have a method to get rid of an ally immediately. And if you are running King Roberts Hammer and/or Marya Seaworth then you can really go to town on locations. It can be devastating in a joust. 

One of my favorite underused cards is Maester of Last Hearth. He actually works very well in my current Dragons deck. (+1 Str to your creature characters, which even helps ravens should you need their Str)

#3 Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I never thought about Maester of the last hearth being used for dragons. I guess At Night They Howl works too. I have a few more:

6. Hodor: He can't attack, but it is hard to pass up a charater that costs 1 gold and has 4 strength, deadly, and two icons, even if he has the ally trait.

7. Stannis (Kings of the Storm): Having your opponent not draw cards is big. You can play seal of the crown, counting favors, threat from the east, and even the dragon's tail. Card draw is essential to pretty much any deck, so removing it from their game can screw their plans.

8. Arianne Martell: One of Martell's greatest cards. On a non-Lanni or Martell deck, Arianne can generally win intriuge challenges with 3 str and stealth. Discarding at least two cards from your opponent's hand allows you to get the character advantage, and then you can use her for power challenges, gaining tons of power.

#4 Daloofus

Daloofus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Stannis KotS prevents all players from drawing cards through effects. Even the controller. I figure he is more likely used in a Knights of the realm deck. So you would always (unless the opponents have surprise knights) have draw advantage.

#5 Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

Oh, oops. I guess I didn't read stannis carefully.  I have one more:

9. He calls it thinking: This may be the best cancel in the game. This is especially good with the new calrification that discarding dupes is a response. It also gives a character +2 str.

#6 imrahil327

imrahil327

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken said:

1. Fury of plots: I'm not saying that this should be used often, but if you don't have a ristricted card, these plots are good with 5 gold and 7 initiative. Their added affects are situational, but they can come in handy.[/QUOTE]

In very general terms I agree, especially out of a house that has a strong "To Be A…" event (Stark/GJ/Targ).  It really depends on the deck though.

[QUOTE]2. Widow's Watch: I find that this is very good against other stark kill decks since you get free dupes. However, it doesn't see much tournament play. I don't know why. Maybe people don't like including two cards of the same character.[/QUOTE]

It's a decent card in the right deck- I don't think it's an autoinclude, since you only get one a turn, and you sorta have to build around it.

[quote]3. Salladhor Saan (Kings of the Storm): Maybe the best location control in the game. He isn't limited to non-limited locations, and he is repeatable. He does have the flaws of being a character, having the ally trait, and costing 4 gold, but I think that it is worth it.[/quote]

True, very strong.  His 2 STR is another drawback though, as he is very vulnerable to Venomous Blade & Flame-Kissed.  But if you need location control in Bara he still might be worth it.

[quote]4. Euron Crow's Eye (Kings of the Sea): The euron from The Grand Melee is really good, but what if you don't use mill? I know TGM version has draw, but the KOTS version gives everyone you control stealth. I'm not saying that this euron is the best, but he can be good in certian decks.[/quote]

Honestly I think the KOTS one is the third best Euron.  Song of Silence Euron still has stealth, but also can use it himself, has renown, and has a war crest.  I am not saying this one is BAD, all 3 of the Eurons have very solid text.  If you're interested in more analysis, check out my article series Uniquely Suited over on Cardgamedb.com.  I'll be getting to Euron in a few weeks!

[/quote]5. Words Are like Arrows: I know that red vengance is better, but this is not limited to defending, and you probably have the influence from Knights of the Hollow Hill. This is a solid event in my opinion, and I don't see why it isn't played more.

I'll be honest, I've never tried this out.  I'll have to get back to you :)

EDIT: Wow the formatting on these forums sucks.  My replies to the cards are in-line.

#7 imrahil327

imrahil327

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

Daloofus said:

Stannis KotS prevents all players from drawing cards through effects. Even the controller. I figure he is more likely used in a Knights of the realm deck. So you would always (unless the opponents have surprise knights) have draw advantage.

The Knight's agenda is a card effect too.  This stops ALL draw except for the 2 during the plot phase.

#8 Daloofus

Daloofus

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

imrahil327 said:

Daloofus said:

The Knight's agenda is a card effect too.  This stops ALL draw except for the 2 during the plot phase.

Are you positive? Stannis effect would surely work on cards in play but Agenda text cannot be cancelled and is not considered to be in play for manipulation.

#9 Alando

Alando

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

Stannis sets a restriction on the player rather than the card, so he stops Agendas too.

KotS Euron isn't used much because both other Eurons are better.

And Arianne and He Calls it Thinking underused? Whaaaaaaaat? I would say everyone uses Hodor too, but I heard Kennon dumping on him in the 2C1C podcast, so now I don't know what to think.

#10 imrahil327

imrahil327

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Alando is correct.  It's still a card effect, and Stannis falls under 'prevention' not 'canceling'- it's the same reason that someone using The Maester's Path cannot get a chain off their agenda in a challenge in which Brienne of Tarth (POTS) participates.  You cannot 'cancel' the Maester's Path response with (for instance) He Calls It Thinking, but you can prevent it from happening at all.

#11 Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

10. Silent Sisters: This card is not reliable, but with all of the stark kill decks, Silent Sisters could easily get to 10 str.

#12 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken said:

This is especially good with the new calrification that discarding dupes is a response.

Huh? New clarification? What new clarification? Was this ever in doubt? I'm pretty sure discarding a dupe to save has always been a Response. What else would it be?

#13 mbr4life

mbr4life

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

Who on earth ever thought of "He calls it thinking" as an underplayed card???? Seriously????

#14 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Three of the five decks I played against in the Regional this past weekend were using him (Bara Maesters, Targ burn, and Stark KoW/Shadows). All three made the cut to 8.

I was playing Lanni PBTT, so really I didn't like seeing him and axed him as quickly as I could.

Cordially,

Amuk

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyère

#15 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:38 AM

Amuk said:

Three of the five decks I played against in the Regional this past weekend were using him (Bara Maesters, Targ burn, and Stark KoW/Shadows). All three made the cut to 8.

I was playing Lanni PBTT, so really I didn't like seeing him and axed him as quickly as I could.

"Him" being Maester of Last Hearth. Lost my formatting somehow.

Cordially,

Amuk

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyère

#16 imrahil327

imrahil327

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

Whoa, Bara maesters & targ burn played him OOH? Crazy.

#17 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Actually, I may have misspoken and confused him with another card.

That said, would not At The Gates allow you to put him directly into play without the gold penalty?

Cordially,

Amuk

#18 imrahil327

imrahil327

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

Amuk said:

Actually, I may have misspoken and confused him with another card.

That said, would not At The Gates allow you to put him directly into play without the gold penalty?

No, At the Gates only plays an in-house maester, it's been errata'd.

#19 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Actually it can do neutral or in-house maesters.  But either way, it can't do OOH maesters.

#20 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:39 AM

Slothgodfather said:

Actually it can do neutral or in-house maesters.  But either way, it can't do OOH maesters.

Grr. Argh. Forgot about the errata.

Cordially,

Amuk

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS