• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 J0shjames

J0shjames

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a very noob question, but I just picked up LOTR: TCG today and I was just wondering if most of you use card sleeves for your cards. I can see how protecting the cards after many plays would be beneficial but in my limited card sleeve experience they seem to make it hard to shuffle and handle the cards though the ones I bought previously were pretty cheap… Thoughts and opinions on card sleeves? Thanks!

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

ive had long tedious arguments in the past about sleeves-i dont sleeve due to the cost, and seeing as i have a back log of packs building up, id rather save for a new pack- however, the general idea is yes use them if you can afford to buy the decent ones, the cards do get pretty rough on the edges quite quickly

however please dont listen to all the patronising comments that are surely to crop up here at some point along the lines of 'if you dont sleeve you are stupid' or 'if you dont sleeve your cards they will come alive at night a kill you for being so horrible to them' you get the point…sleeving is a choice and at the end of it all- its a more expensive choice than not,

yeah your cards get a bit rough, but its not too bad- ive been playing for a year with mine, very regularly, unsleeved, and theyre fine to me

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Listen to Rich; he is a smart guy for sure.  I sleeve mine as I find it protects the cards and also makes shuffling easier.  Rich is right though; it's your overall choice-you don't need sleeves to play the game-on the other hand, if you can afford them, I would do so.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

DurinIII said:

Listen to Rich; he is a smart guy for sure.  I sleeve mine as I find it protects the cards and also makes shuffling easier.  Rich is right though; it's your overall choice-you don't need sleeves to play the game-on the other hand, if you can afford them, I would do so.

thank you…i dont agree with you but thanks all the same

#5 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

I don't think I could ever play a normal card game without sleeves. But that's because I shuffle the cards and fiddle with the cards in my hand and that are on the table more than anyone else I've ever seen.

It's probably like an OCD thing or the need to be doing something with my hands, but it also results in horribly ruined cards for me at a pretty quick pace.

So if you do THAT, then sleeves probably yes. Otherwise, you might be okay.

#6 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

richsabre said:

ive had long tedious arguments in the past about sleeves-i dont sleeve due to the cost, and seeing as i have a back log of packs building up, id rather save for a new pack- however, the general idea is yes use them if you can afford to buy the decent ones, the cards do get pretty rough on the edges quite quickly

I don't sleeve my cards, either, due to the high cost.

And even after all this time (almost 100 games) the only cards that show slight signs of use are the Gandalf cards.

Imho, unless you plan to sell off your collection at some point, there's little reason to sleeve the cards.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

yes agreed- seeing as i only play this game and no others i can work out an average play amount-

i got this about a year ago (start of may) and play on average about 7 games a week (sometimes i play many games a night, sometimes a day off, but it averages out to about 1 per day)…..

so thats well over 300 games….still going strong on my end

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

I've played a lot for almost a year, I didn't sleeve my cards, and they're still ok. The main problem is when you get new cards from the expansions and mix them with your old cards. There is a difference and the new cards tend to stick together when you mix them. That's why I think about buying some sleeves, but right now I'm in the same situation moneywise as Rich.

#9 Sprenger

Sprenger

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

If you do decide on sleeving your cards I would strongly recommend that you use clear or all the same colored sleeves for player cards. I don't know about anyone else but I change up my decks a lot and since each of my player decks are in different colored sleeves (purple, green, blue and red) I am constantly unsleeving and re-sleeving cards. it is a pain and a waste of time.

I am slowly switching out my colored sleeves for clear dragon shield sleeves. They are totaly worth the $10.

Light Side: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 Hwks, 1 Falcon & 1 B-Wing

Dark Side: 6 Fighters, 2 Advanced, 2 Interceptors, 2 Fire Sprays, 2 Bombers, 1 Shuttle

#10 The_Fallen_Arises

The_Fallen_Arises

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Sleeve those bad boys…the art alone makes it a worthwile endeavour !

#11 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Personally i sleeve mine as ive got 2 young daughters who often have sticky fingers from eating too much rubbish. I usually play each day and they often pick the cards up as they absolutely adore the artwork. So i just wipe them clean if i do see smudges on them. I have noticed recently though that there is occasionally some kind of static electricity feel to them which makes it harder to shuffle them but thats strangely only every now and again. Do what suits your situation my friend.

#12 Drengi

Drengi

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Im a bit anal so I always sleeve! I just cant stand not doing it (not that there is anything wrong with leaving them unsleeved).

I agree with the above poster about clear sleeves, they are superior! I actually ordered some of the art sleeves, forgot about them and sleeved everything clear. I cant mix sleeves of different types (again really anal!). The art sleeves arrived a few months ago, but the clear sleeves are much nicer for the cards!

#13 J0shjames

J0shjames

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think i've decided I'll give the sleeves a shot and maybe try the dragon shield sleeves as it sounds like most people really like those. The sleeves are  within my budget but it's just enough of an expense I thought I'd get a little feedback before dropping $20-$30 on sleeves for just my core set when I could buy 2 expansions for that!

#14 Cotillion37

Cotillion37

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

I sleeve my cards. The extra costs suck, but I find that it is worth sleeving the cards. Makes it much easier to shuffle, and in the event that you have a disastrous spill or something, the cards won't be completely ruined.

#15 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

I don't like sleeving normally, it's just a game after all. However, I took one look at these beautiful cards and I knew I would not be able to let my friends touch the cards without being really OCD about them if they didn't have sleeves. I use FFG's clear sleeves and I'm really glad I went with them, they're quality.

#16 BiJay

BiJay

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

richsabre said:

yes agreed- seeing as i only play this game and no others i can work out an average play amount-

i got this about a year ago (start of may) and play on average about 7 games a week (sometimes i play many games a night, sometimes a day off, but it averages out to about 1 per day)…..

I'm quite surprised your cards still seem to look okay. For me they seem less durable than Magic: The Gathering cards for example that's why I sleeved them straight away. When I would play that many games unsleeved my cards would look terrible without any doubt. ^^ So it's really a matter of how you handle your cards.

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

BiJay said:

richsabre said:

I'm quite surprised your cards still seem to look okay. For me they seem less durable than Magic: The Gathering cards for example that's why I sleeved them straight away. When I would play that many games unsleeved my cards would look terrible without any doubt. ^^ So it's really a matter of how you handle your cards.

my cards remain out on a soft surfaced old pool table away from direct sunlight- i dont need to pack away etc…..thats obviously a situation vetern card gamers wont have- but thats the reason they are so good still

#18 gvaughn1

gvaughn1

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

I'm not sure yet about sleeves either.  I do have a couple questions though.

1.  Are the "Standard Card Game Sleeves" (the Gray pack) from FFG the right kind to buy?  It looks like you get 50 sleeves for $2.99.  That seems reasonable.

2.  Sort of a separate question: How does everyone store their cards?  At some point, they can't all fit in the box, right?  Do you get Card Boxes to store them?  Or use zip-lock baggies?  Just curious.

3.  Is it more difficult to store the cards if they're sleeved?  Is it also more difficult to shuffle them?  Do they go flying and slipping around?

Thanks

#19 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

gvaughn1 said:

I'm not sure yet about sleeves either.  I do have a couple questions though.

1.  Are the "Standard Card Game Sleeves" (the Gray pack) from FFG the right kind to buy?  It looks like you get 50 sleeves for $2.99.  That seems reasonable.

2.  Sort of a separate question: How does everyone store their cards?  At some point, they can't all fit in the box, right?  Do you get Card Boxes to store them?  Or use zip-lock baggies?  Just curious.

3.  Is it more difficult to store the cards if they're sleeved?  Is it also more difficult to shuffle them?  Do they go flying and slipping around?

Thanks

1. Yes, I got the FFG grey pack. They are the "right size" but they don't fit very tight. Still, you get used to it pretty quick.

2. The Core and Shadows of Mirkwood should all fit in the core set box if you invert the cardboard insert to create two columns. That's how I currently store my cards. I don't have anything beyond those yet, but I imagine you can fit a fair few cards into the Khazad-dum box as well. If it comes down to it, you may need to alter the insert in your core set box to allow three rows of cards.

3. I don't find slipping to be a big problem with my sleeved cards, but one thing you have to consider is that you need to shuffle at an angle at the bottom corner. If you shuffle top-edge-to-bottom-edge you will get card trying to fit into other cards' sleeves. Still, I was finding that I didn't get a very good shuffle with the card sleeves. A lot of cards stuck together. Recently I've started just laying the two halve of the deck side-by-side and merging them sideways, starting at the lower corner. This seems to get a pretty good mesh and doesn't require bending the cards. I miss traditional shuffling, but I can just get a deck of cards out for that.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#20 FAAx87

FAAx87

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

gvaughn1 said:

I got my sleeves today and now I have exactly the same problem. So I'm looking for a solution at the moment…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS