Announcing DC Regionals - June 9

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

The DC AGoT Meta is pleased to announce the 2012 DC regionals event.

Date/Time: Saturday, June 9 @ 11:00am

Location: Labyrinth Games, 645 Pennsylvania Ave., SE, Washington, DC 20003

Entrance Fee: $10 (cash payable on-site)

Contact: Dan Ach ach.dan / gmail  (for questions regarding location, lodging, card legality, advanced rulings, etc.)

Format: Joust (1v1) - The event will adhere to FFG tournament rules for Joust (1v1). Tournament rules, the latest FAQ, and core rules can be found on the AGoT support page on the FFG website.

Correction: The latest chapter, Valar Moghulis, will NOT be legal for the event.

The Joust will include four 50-minute preliminary rounds of Swiss pairings, with cut to top eight for quarter-finals. The finals rounds will be untimed, but will be checked for delay of game to ensure we are finished by the time the store must close.

Decklists will be required for this event but will NOT be shared after the tourney. These will be used only to resolve any questions about deck legality, if needed.

Schedule:

• Round 1 - 11:00am-11:50am
  • Round 2 - 11:55am-12:45pm
  • Break - 12:45pm-1:10pm
  • Round 3 - 1:10pm-2:00pm
  • Round 4 - 2:00pm-2:50pm
  • Top 8 Announced
  • Quarterfinals Round - 3:00pm-4:15pm (approx)
  • Semifinals Round - 4:15pm-5:30pm (approx)
  • Finals Round - 5:30pm-7:00pm (approx)

Prizes: In addition to the official FFG regionals kit, players can win other prizes, which may include gift cards to our host store, free chapter packs, and other prizes.

Side-events: While the tournament is the main attraction, join our region's players for the following side events.

Pre-tourney Party - Friday, June 8 at 7pm-?

Join members of the east coast for some drinks and casual gaming at dcdennis's house in Vienna, VA. There will be some board games, or you can bring a throw-away deck (or your tournament deck!) for some pick-up games. Contact Dennis at dh098017 / gmail to let him know you're coming and/or for location info. He is able to pick up people from the metro if you can't drive.

DC Cube Draft - Saturday after the tournament

The (in)famous Butzlaff-Faherty cube draft brings together all of the best cards from LCG and CCG era, with some ridiculous errata, of course. This will take place immediately after the tournament on Saturday. We will go to the Ivory Tower on the George Washington Campus, a few metro stops away from the venue. They have options for dinner so you aren't starved after 8 hours of Thrones. You don't want to miss this!

-------

We hope to see many of you come out to the Nation's Capital for what is sure to be one of the most fun and competitive regionals of the season!

#2 SirDuck

SirDuck

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Good chance the PA group will be there! As long as life doesn't throw us something unexpected.

Maybe I'll even play something other than my stark/siege…probably not gonna try to go for 3 top 4's in a row with it!

#3 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

SirDuck said:

Good chance the PA group will be there! As long as life doesn't throw us something unexpected.

Maybe I'll even play something other than my stark/siege…probably not gonna try to go for 3 top 4's in a row with it!

You all are welcome! If you keep playing Siege, you might win with it eventually. That would really throw a wrench into people's regionals predictons! 

#4 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

And you said valar is banned for this event ?

#5 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

dcdennis said:

No, we changed our mind - we want people to come. 

#6 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

AGoT DC Meta said:

dcdennis said:

No, we changed our mind - we want people to come. 

Zing!

#7 BBSB12

BBSB12

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

What about banning use of Agendas?

#8 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

BBSB12 said:

What about banning use of Agendas?

Although it'd be fun to experiment on the meta like lab rats, we're playing this regionals by the books.

Perhaps in the future we'll have a tournament experiment (an expertournament? a tournexperiment??) in the fall where we ban Valar and agendas, and we'll unban and unrestrict all cards, and everyone will have to build a deck around an agenda that reads: "Before setup name a trait other than ally. You may play out of house cards with that trait with no penalty. You cannot win if you do not control a character with the named trait in play." But that's for another tournament…

#9 HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

That would be a really interesting agenda. I could see decks built around Lord, Knight, and Maester traits even though there's no chains attached to the agenda for the latter. It could make the location Hollow Hill useful for draw too.

Maybe the agenda could make a refugee deck viable along with that new plot The Grand Melee.

#10 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Just to clarify, the DC regionals will follow tournament rules, core rules, and the latest FAQ. The only real ruling I am making is that Free Man is considered to have the "wildling" trait, based on the email Kennon received from Damon and discussed in 2C1C.

There are no alternate bannings or anything, in case some people are confused by other posts in this thread, which are just jokes from a conversation we had in the past. (At least I thought they were jokes…) :P

#11 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Bump.

Please email me if you have questions regarding accommodations. We have a few guys willing to host, or I can recommend you a hotel. You will not want to miss out on the draft event after the joust, so plan to stay the night Saturday!

Cheers,

Danigral

#12 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

DC Regionals is less than 2 weeks away! We are getting ready for a great weekend here.

Just a couple things:

If you are still in need of accommodation, please email me - ach.dan / gmail.

There will be a couple of side events that you won't want to miss:

Pre-tourney Party

Friday, June 8 at 7pm-?

Join members of the east coast for some drinks and casual gaming at dcdennis's house in Vienna, VA. There will be some board games, or you can bring a throw-away deck (or your tournament deck!) for some pick-up games. Contact Dennis at dh098017 / gmail to let him know you're coming and/or for location info. He is able to pick up people from the metro if you can't drive.

DC Cube Draft

The (in)famous Butzlaff-Faherty cube draft brings together all of the best cards from LCG and CCG era, with some ridiculous errata, of course. This will take place immediately after the tournament on Saturday. We will go to the Ivory Tower on the George Washington Campus, a few metro stops away from the venue. They have options for dinner so you aren't starved after 8 hours of Thrones. You don't want to miss this!

#13 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

hehe maybe we edit out my actual addr from the post and provide it individually as needed. never know whose crazy out there :)

edit: ty =D

#14 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

dcdennis said:

hehe maybe we edit out my actual addr from the post and provide it individually as needed. never know whose crazy out there :)

NP. You gave it to me so I thought you were cool with it, but I shouldn't have assumed.~Scared of those NY crazies you pissed off at their regionals? ;)

I always wonder about those people that post their email on these boards. They probably get tons of spam.

#15 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

UPDATE regarding the legality of Valar Morghulis:

With the recent release of an update to FFG's tournament rules, Valar Morghulis was declared legal in the regionals environment as of June 8th, the day before the DC tournament. This pack certainly brings with it some cards that I and other believe will bring significant impact to the meta, and adjustments will have to be made. While change is good, and AGoT is after all a "living" card game, I want to recognize that many players have put in a lot of hard work to gauge and prepare for what they believed at the time was the current card pool.

In short, Valar Morghulis will NOT be legal for the DC Regionals on June 9th. The seeming consensus on other posts supports the feeling that decisions like this are at the discretion of the TO, and I don't make this decision lightly; until and/or if FFG takes this decision from me, this is what the decision will be.

I hope this won't deter anyone from attending. For those of you who enjoy playing "new and shiny," our prize support will include gift cards to our host store and two chapter packs of Valar Morghulis, which will be raffled off to attendees.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing everyone on June 9th!

#16 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

hypothetically, what if we made a thread for only people that plan to attend the event and put it to a vote. maybe there is a big demand to use the new cards and/or people don't care if it's allowed. people might enjoy the shake up. i for one dont plan to use any of the new cards anyways but wouldn't mind if others wanted to.

#17 OrangeDragon

OrangeDragon

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

@dcdennis  I had the same thought this morning.  It would extremely easy to do a survey monkey, post the link here and ask that ONLY those attending the event vote (ask for screen name).  I don't mean to undermine Dan's decision, though. Sometimes it's better to just stick with the decision you made.

#18 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

but its so much fun to undermine those in authority! mwahhahaha i woulda been popular in post war cuba.

#19 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

For fun and curiosity: 

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WX7TBP7

#20 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

dcdennis said:

but its so much fun to undermine those in authority! mwahhahaha i woulda been popular in post war cuba.

Or I could just send you to Bolivia. :P

My problem with that is that my decision is based on the fact that there is no time for everyone to adapt to the meta with now 9 days left to go. If there were a survey that would just take more time away from people preparing, and create confusion about what is and what is not legal. I don't want people showing up with two different ideas about what constitutes a legal deck.

I know that it may not be a decision that everyone likes, but I think it the fairest and the right one.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS