Ironskin Charm, Chant of Wisdom, Might of Giants, & Good Luck Knot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rdskinfn7

rdskinfn7

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

These cards all increase a value by 1: Ironskin increase life value by 1, Chant increases craft value by 1, Might increases strength value by 1, and Good luck increases fate value by 1.

I am correct in thinking that a player can never lose this increase?

Additionally, if someone were to replenish fate or life, they would get to replenish up to their new fate value or life value, correct?

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

rdskinfn7 said:

These cards all increase a value by 1: Ironskin increase life value by 1, Chant increases craft value by 1, Might increases strength value by 1, and Good luck increases fate value by 1.

I am correct in thinking that a player can never lose this increase?

Additionally, if someone were to replenish fate or life, they would get to replenish up to their new fate value or life value, correct?

You only lose this increase if you are killed. If you are turned into a Toad, you cannot use the Strength or Craft of your character, including your gains.

Yes correct to the replenish of fate or healing of life.

Ell.

#3 rdskinfn7

rdskinfn7

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

I have a followup question. 

The Ironskin Charm and the Good Luck Knot both increase their respective values by one. Since these values, life and fate respectively, are kept tracked of by counters, unlike strength and craft, do you automatically gain one life/fate at the same time, or is only your life/fate VALUE increased, thereby requiring you to heal/replenish those values to gain the benefit of the card?

#4 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

No your life and fate does not increase until you heal your lives or resplenish your fate.

#5 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

rdskinfn7 said:

The Ironskin Charm and the Good Luck Knot both increase their respective values by one. Since these values, life and fate respectively, are kept tracked of by counters, unlike strength and craft, do you automatically gain one life/fate at the same time, or is only your life/fate VALUE increased, thereby requiring you to heal/replenish those values to gain the benefit of the card?

rdskinfn7 said:

If a character increases his Strength or Craft value by 1, the bonus always adds to the characters Strength or Craft (place a Strength or Craft cone next to the actual Strength or Craft value printed on the card to remind a character of this). So in effect, a character does gain a Strength or Craft respectively in this process.

Now in regards to the Ironskin Charm and Good Luck Knot, the character treats this increase exactly the same as the Might of Giants or Chant of Wisdom. A character gains 1 life or 1 fate respectively. However these increases can disappear. A characters fate can be exhausted, but it can be replenished up to the increased fate value. In the case of a characters life value, it can be healed up to the increased life value!

Frogemoth. If it was the case that life or fate did not increase until either healed or replenished, then the increase would not be as beneficial as a Strength or Craft value increase!

I hope this helps!

Ell.

#6 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

The Reward cards that give the increase are all treated exactly the same. You immediately gain 1 point of Strength, Craft, fate, or life which is added to your start values. The only difference is that fate or life can drop below the start value (in the case of life, you die lol)! I agree it is not very clear. If you want confirmation of how it works, shoot an email off to John Goodenough!

Regards,

Ell.

#7 rdskinfn7

rdskinfn7

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Thanks Ell. I figured you would immediately gain a life or fate, but we played the way frogemarth said because of the wording on the card. I figured it wasn't the intention of the quest reward, but I wanted confirmation before we ran into those cards again.

Thanks again!

#8 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

talismanamsilat said:

rdskinfn7 said:

rdskinfn7 said:

If a character increases his Strength or Craft value by 1, the bonus always adds to the characters Strength or Craft (place a Strength or Craft cone next to the actual Strength or Craft value printed on the card to remind a character of this). So in effect, a character does gain a Strength or Craft respectively in this process.

Now in regards to the Ironskin Charm and Good Luck Knot, the character treats this increase exactly the same as the Might of Giants or Chant of Wisdom. A character gains 1 life or 1 fate respectively. However these increases can disappear. A characters fate can be exhausted, but it can be replenished up to the increased fate value. In the case of a characters life value, it can be healed up to the increased life value!

Frogemoth. If it was the case that life or fate did not increase until either healed or replenished, then the increase would not be as beneficial as a Strength or Craft value increase!

I hope this helps!

Ell.

I didn't know that! That's why I check this forum from time to time, always learn something new.

#9 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

I would have to disagree with that analysis of those Rewards, and the logic for that conclusion.

Fate and Life values behave differently from those of Strength and Craft, in that you "always" have up to your S & C values.

Just because the Rewards pertaining to Strength and Craft might seem more useful or powerful, does not mean that the Life and Fate ones were intended to be dealt with in the same way.

Let's say there was a Reward to increase the total number of Spells you might have at one time to 4. You would not assume that you automatically gain a Spell. A Mule allows you to carry more Objects, but does not bestow them on you. As I say, increasing your Strength and Craft values DOES get you the benefit of the extra point, because that is how Strength and Craft work.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#10 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

I have sent an email off to John Goodenough for confirmation on how these Quest Reward Cards work. It is very true that this issue is confusing!

Ell.

#11 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

Haha, so maybe I was right after all, let's wait for a response from John to be sure.

#12 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

[JG's response]

Q: I have the quest reward Chant of Wisdom that increases my Craft value by 1. Do I automatically get a counter for that attribute? What about a quest reward that increases my life or fate value?
A: No. Increasing your Strength, Craft, life, or fate value does not automatically give you a counter for that attribute.

Q: I have the quest reward Chant of Wisdom that increases my Craft value by 1. How is increasing my Craft value different than gaining a point of Craft?
A: Gaining a point of Craft and increasing your Craft value appear similar since they both make your character more powerful, but there is a distinction:
- When you gain a point of Craft, a blue counter is placed next to your character card. These counters may be lost due to encounters and effects such as the Random Spell for example.
- When your Craft value is increased, it raises the Craft number printed on your character sheet. You do NOT receive a blue Craft counter to mark this since the card that grants the bonus acts as a reminder. A character’s Craft can never drop below his Craft value so the only way to lose this bonus is if you are killed (killed characters must discard all of their quest rewards). Some cards also refer to your Craft value such as the Warhorse that allows you to add your Craft value to your Strength during battle. Increasing your Craft value will therefore make your Warhorse more powerful. However, gaining additional points of Craft counters has no effect on the Warhorse since the card only considers your Craft value.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#13 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for that Jon, I stand corrected on this issue. My apolgies guys!

Ell.

#14 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

That clarifies it then. Thanks for asking the question.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS