Rules question: Multiple Actions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 storyofradioboy

storyofradioboy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

Getting ready for my first game of Dust Warfare and there's one rule i'm not quite clear on.

When you activate a unit can you choose to take the same action twice (take two move action or two attack actions) or do they have to be double actions? So essentially can I choose to have a unit make two seperate Attacks or does it have a be a Sustained Attack? (Likewise can you take two move actions instead of a March action?)

Also can unit with a special Action (like Medic or Mechanic) use that Action twice with the same Activation?

Cheers in advance.

#2 reptilebro1

reptilebro1

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

I think this may answer your question.

If you want to fire all your weapons at 2 targets fire once in command phase and again in unit phase or you can split fire to 2 different targets but you can only  split fire per weapon line. I also do not see a difference in taking 2 moves or a march move.

#3 TheArcher

TheArcher

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

pg 33… "rather than taking two different actions, the unit may choose to spend twice the amount of time concentrating on a single action - this is referred to as a double action"

no other options are given, so no you may not take a single action twice

#4 mariettabrit

mariettabrit

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:12 AM

reptilebro1 said:

If you want to fire all your weapons at 2 targets fire once in command phase and again in unit phase or you can split fire to 2 different targets but you can only  split fire per weapon line. I also do not see a difference in taking 2 moves or a march move.

You can split fire anyway you like… if you have 4 MG's they can each fire at a different target unit… that's given in an example in the rules.

#5 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

I don't believe there are any restrictions beyond move and attack, though.

I.E., I believe a mechanic could do 2 repair actions in one turn.

#6 reptilebro1

reptilebro1

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

mariettabrit said:

reptilebro1 said:

You can split fire anyway you like… if you have 4 MG's they can each fire at a different target unit… that's given in an example in the rules.

I must have missed that. Still in a Tactics state of mind I guess.

#7 CSMason26

CSMason26

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

felkor said:

Where are the FFG guys when we need them. :P 

#8 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

CSMason26 said:

felkor said:

Yeah - the possibility of a "sustained repair" could make sense, although I'd prefer the ability to do them as separate actions.  I will be playing that non-move, non-attack actions can be played in any combination.  I know in Dust Tactics you could not do 2 command squad special actions in one activation, but I see no such restriction in Dust Warfare.

#9 CSMason26

CSMason26

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

felkor said:

CSMason26 said:

felkor said:

Yeah - the possibility of a "sustained repair" could make sense, although I'd prefer the ability to do them as separate actions.  I will be playing that non-move, non-attack actions can be played in any combination.  I know in Dust Tactics you could not do 2 command squad special actions in one activation, but I see no such restriction in Dust Warfare.

I don't see why you couldn't either… Think about the balance there. Medic- You saved two figures from death… But now the rest of the command squad has no action they can do. Same with Mechanic. So to me it seems like a fair balance to say you can make ANY two actions. 

#10 mariettabrit

mariettabrit

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

I've been playing it that you can do 2 medic / engineer actions in an activation if you desire. Nothing in the rule says you can't, whereas in tactics they made it very clear you could only do one… so if that was the intent for warfare they need an FAQ… until then heal away! lol

#11 deedob

deedob

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

mariettabrit said:

I've been playing it that you can do 2 medic / engineer actions in an activation if you desire. Nothing in the rule says you can't, whereas in tactics they made it very clear you could only do one… so if that was the intent for warfare they need an FAQ… until then heal away! lol

The command units in tactics are much more powerful than in warfare however, as far as their actions are concerned.

Imagine the Kommandotrup being able to re-activate the same unit twice in a single turn! Or call in reinforcements twice!

They are still powerful in warfare, but in a passive way… with the ability to give orders within 12" of them.

So them making 2 "special" actions in a single turn isn't game breaking as it would in Tactics.

#12 simpatikool

simpatikool

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

I don't think you can take a special action (Like repair or Medic) twice. You cannot shoot twice in a single activiation. You can only make a sustained attack. You don't move twice per say, you take a "March move". You spend a whole activiation doing a "double" action. (This is all on pg 33.)

We have talked about this in our games as well, as it keeps coming up. I would like an official ruling on this matter, as I do agree there is some grey area, it is just that from my interpretation, the actions they list as being able to do twice are specific.

#13 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Speaking of multiple actions, has anyone come across the business of having so many command actions that, if the amount of commands that can be given  to a single unit is unlimited, said single unit can move and attack (1 command, Marcus leading a kampfaffen pack), Regroup (2 commands, removing the reaction counter), and repeat, as long as there are command action available. I deployed a German force with 13 elements tonight (300 points), and proceeded to do this sequence once, attacking twice with said kampfaffen mob. My opponent cried Shenanigans, we discussed it, and since I was as appalled as he was, we agreed in the future to limit command actions to one per unit, to avoid that silliness.

FFG rules people, are you reading this? It's a serious problem, a major break in the system, and I cannot in good conscience imagine that this was envisioned as a tactic by the designer and developer of this game.

#14 Necronis

Necronis

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

On page 30 it ststes "A unit may only be issued one Order during each Command Phase."

#15 caecitas

caecitas

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

yes - clearly being able to issue and infinate loop of commands is silly, but it states very clearly in the book you may only issue one command to a unit per command phase. Remember, if you want to attack twice - attack once in the command phase, then again in the unit phase. Just watch out for supression, as that will ruin that plan with remarkable ease.

On the subject of double repair/double medic i have to agree with the majority - i dont think it is unreasonable, as it means said unit will have no other actions it can perform that turn - and infact special actions "replace a move or attack action" - so it isnt unreasonable to say you replace your move action with repair, then your attack action with repair.

#16 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Right. Got it. Thanks for the single-line rule spotting! Does take a load off my mind.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS