D6 Generation Review of D: Warfare Live Now

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

Well, it's no surprise that Russ and I, having done a demo with Ross at GenCon last year, were very excited about Dust: Warfare. And when he got a rulebook early at Pax East a few weeks ago, the fire was kindled anew. And then, a couple weeks later when we went to Adepticon, hung out a bunch with Mack Martin and the FFG guys, and dropped WAY too much money on Dust figures and urban terrain (so we could commandeer empty tables all over the hotel to play whenever we liked) . . . it was like reliving our heady early 40K days.

Our newest episode, 102, went live last night and inlcudes a massive review of Dust: Warfare with guest host Romeo Fillip, click here for that episode.

Fair warning, though: We're old school mini wargame players, and so we're not approaching this from the Dust: Tactics realm . . . in fact, we tried D:T once and didn't really like it at all . . . so our point of view is very different from many of the impressions I'm getting from delving into these forums for the first time . . .

Anyway, check it out, if you're curious.

Oh, and if you've never listened before . . . fair warning. The opening skit is only 4-5 minutes long, and IS a skit, and is not, in fact, my real voice, nor is that what the entire 4+ hours of the show are like . . . oh, and another fair warning . . . each episode is somewhere north, usually, of 4 hours. But of course you don't have to listen to the whole thing. The link above includes time stamps that will tell you exactly where to find the Dust: Warfare review . . . but just think of all that Not Too Horrible Humor you'll be missing! :)

Thanks, guys!

~Craig

#2 Grim6

Grim6

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

Thanks Craig!  Listening to it now, even as I type!  Loved the Lost Chapters episode 31 as well, even if you guys missed out on AT-43, may it rest in peace.  

Glad to see you guys are "all in" for Dust Warfare!

#3 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

All in doesn't even do it justice :)

I spent over $200 on Armorcast buildings at Adepticon so we could play with the full effect, put the buildings together with Super Glue so it'd be fast (well, made Russ put them together), and then snapped them apart to take them home, and then put them together again and painted them up in a week to gin up excitement locally. Oh, and that of course doesn't account for the dough I dropped at the FFG booth, both in one massive supply dump and then in bits and pieces all weekend long. By the end of the weekend I had a minimum of 1 of every Axis unit except one of the command squads and the gorillas . . . who are now enroute!

I had a GREAT game last night, using all of my new terrain. I'll hopefully be posting a battle report with pictures on my blog at some point in the next week or so if I can wrestle the time out of my schedule.

Just have to say, after EVERY game of Dust: Warfare I've played so far, entire sections of the game come back to me in my head as fully realized scenes from some corny war/horror movie mashup. Never played a game whose flow allowed for that.

Oh, and as far as Zombies vs Rocket Punch G.I.s . . . don't matter how powerful the Rocket Punch is if you can suppress them before you send in your dead heroes! :)

#4 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Great review of the game - thoroughly enjoyable.

#5 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Great review and great show! Hope you guys talk more about it in the future!

#6 Grim6

Grim6

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Battle report would be great!  

You mentioned shopping around for terrain in the podcast - how do you compare Armorcast vs Battlefield in a Box (GF9)?  My LGS has some of the GF9 stuff, and I was thinking about picking some up.

Definitely, zombies have never failed to impress me.  I am considering getting enough for a full platoon… and a full platoon of apes… 

#7 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

So far, so good.  I don't like Romeo giving feedback on mini's he hasn't dealt with.  On the painting of the minis, I have had my Dust minis painted for over a year now, unsealed, and they look the same as they did from the first day I painted them after countless games.

#8 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Craig in NH said:

All in doesn't even do it justice :)

I spent over $200 on Armorcast buildings at Adepticon so we could play with the full effect, put the buildings together with Super Glue so it'd be fast (well, made Russ put them together), and then snapped them apart to take them home, and then put them together again and painted them up in a week to gin up excitement locally. Oh, and that of course doesn't account for the dough I dropped at the FFG booth, both in one massive supply dump and then in bits and pieces all weekend long. By the end of the weekend I had a minimum of 1 of every Axis unit except one of the command squads and the gorillas . . . who are now enroute!

I had a GREAT game last night, using all of my new terrain. I'll hopefully be posting a battle report with pictures on my blog at some point in the next week or so if I can wrestle the time out of my schedule.

Just have to say, after EVERY game of Dust: Warfare I've played so far, entire sections of the game come back to me in my head as fully realized scenes from some corny war/horror movie mashup. Never played a game whose flow allowed for that.

Oh, and as far as Zombies vs Rocket Punch G.I.s . . . don't matter how powerful the Rocket Punch is if you can suppress them before you send in your dead heroes! :)

Good to see ya around,and loving the review and Thanks -Gordon

#9 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

blkdymnd said:

So far, so good.  I don't like Romeo giving feedback on mini's he hasn't dealt with.  On the painting of the minis, I have had my Dust minis painted for over a year now, unsealed, and they look the same as they did from the first day I painted them after countless games.

Same here.  And one thing nice about the slight softness is that if you drop them, they don't break.  Drop a walker and you need to get out the glue (I unfortunately know from experience) - throw a soldier at the far side of the room as hard as you can, and it will be just fine.

#10 TredHed

TredHed

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Great to see the D6G digging into Dust Warfare!

I too have been going pretty hardcore in acquiring stuff for my Dust table. ;)

#11 RussWakelin

RussWakelin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

D6G? I love that podcast.  Except for that Craig guy… He's annoying.  

About painting the mini's:  To be fair Romeo has handled and played with the figs.  We had a game with him at Adepticon.

However…

I should have brought this up when Romeo raised the concern that the models wouldn't hold paint well because they are so soft.  Craig and I played the demo both last summer at GenCon and last month at Adepitcon with the 'premium painted' models shown in the book.  They looked just fine at the end of the long weekend of gaming and used in a demo.  

So like any models, prime 'em and coat 'em right and they should hold up just fine.

#12 blkdymnd

blkdymnd

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Now finished.  Romeo is as clueless as I always pictured him to be.  He had a chip on his shoulder about the minis from the beginning, and it bled into the rest of the review which was completely unfair.  You guys were decently objective and that's appreciated, good and bad.  I think most of the points were pretty informed. And I'm glad to see you guys totally on board.  Paolo has been a pretty brilliant artistic director, I think that alone will keep the legs on this product as well as the support and seemingly very cohesive relationship with FFG.

#13 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Um . . . ok . . . . :)

Yeah, my decision at Adepticon came down to Gale Force 9 stuff or the Armorcast stuff. The cost was actually pretty close, to be honest, and the GF9 stuff comes painted . . . The final decision was the aesthetic. the GF9 is VERY much Faux 40K. You put that stuff down on the table and, in my mind, you're soaked up to your neck in GrimDark. Where as the Armorcast stuff looks like it came right out of Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

Again, hoping for some free time to get some pics up . . . soonish . . .

Fair warning, though. Armorcast just decided to redo all their brick ruin molds, to add more details, remove the construction element from some of their items, and to add piled brick at the base of each wall to bulk them out. So right now it's not possible to order their stuff from their website.

#14 Grim6

Grim6

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Craig in NH said:

Um . . . ok . . . . :)

Yeah, my decision at Adepticon came down to Gale Force 9 stuff or the Armorcast stuff. The cost was actually pretty close, to be honest, and the GF9 stuff comes painted . . . The final decision was the aesthetic. the GF9 is VERY much Faux 40K. You put that stuff down on the table and, in my mind, you're soaked up to your neck in GrimDark. Where as the Armorcast stuff looks like it came right out of Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

Again, hoping for some free time to get some pics up . . . soonish . . .

Fair warning, though. Armorcast just decided to redo all their brick ruin molds, to add more details, remove the construction element from some of their items, and to add piled brick at the base of each wall to bulk them out. So right now it's not possible to order their stuff from their website.

Thanks!  I will keep an eye out for Armorcast.

#15 SGTManuel

SGTManuel

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Great review guys, first time hearing your show, but as someone with about the same gaming expience as Russ I agree with what you guys said.  I hope FFG listens cause the fourth faction is highly important.  Now for the SSU to arrive, did you guys get a good look at the SSU helicopters, I would love any info on them.

thanks

#16 Craig in NH

Craig in NH

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

They had a couple units and one of the armored suits at Adepticon, and they looked amazing. The Premier Edition troopers had Molotov cocktails that were actually made out of translucent plastic, so they looked like real glass bottles! Mack was saying that the standard primed models will be made out of the same material, so although the bottles will be primed over, folks should be able to scrape the primer off the bottles if they want to take the time, and get the same effect.

Unfortunately, they didn't have the helicopters, so all I know is what I can see from the war store website, other online shop's pictures, and of course the cool Dust: Tactics Operation Novgorod rulebook they just posted up this week, which has the fluff and background desriptions of all the units, SSU, Axis, and Allies, that come in the new book. Some very cool stuff in there, and fun to speculate on how they'll work in :Warfare, based upon their :Tactics rules . . .

#17 Nivanti

Nivanti

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:58 AM

If you treat your minis like rubbish and throw them in a box then expect the paint to flake off just like it would with any miniature, pick them up and store with respect and they will last for ages, common sense yeah ?!

Good review and helped me to understand the game better, I enjoyed your closing statment of people on forums and in general some of the idiots in the hobby.

#18 HuronBH

HuronBH

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

Great review, by far the best one I have heard so far.  I have to agree that Romeo went a bit to far with the Gumby comments about the basic infantry but acknowledge that he is entitled to his own opinion based on his personal experience.  To be honest I was a bit worried about this too at first but I have painted up several squads now with no problems, both repriming the minis (with Flames of War Army Painter brand primer for those that are interested) and painting/ washing straight over the minis as they come out of the box (Pics coming soon).

Thank you for taking the time to explain the game in detail and fully explaining the detail tactical interactions possible for both players throughout each turn.  I would highly recommend that new players listen to your review.

Thanks again.

-jay

#19 Jowimus

Jowimus

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Nivanti said:

I enjoyed your closing statment of people on forums and in general some of the idiots in the hobby.

That was also my favorite part. Haters are the worst part of the gaming industry.

#20 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hey Craig we really want to see your gaming tables for dust, been a fan of your work for a long time ans if thier is anyone whos not seen your work your going to be very surpised…sorry craig no presure…lol

-gordon

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS