Thoughts on Warfare

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M0NSTAR09

M0NSTAR09

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hey Guys, I am kind of new to the board but I have been playing Dust Tactics for over a year and I am one who frequents the forums more for thoughts on the games I play.  I am relatively new to tabletop miniatures games and I bought Tactics when it came out because I wanted something simple to play with my son.  What I found was an amazing tactical strategic game that both of us enjoy(although I enjoy it more than he does).  I haven't been playing tabletop miniatures games for as long as some of you guys have but I am slowly understanding the learning curve of Warmachine/Hordes, Warmaster, and Dystopian Wars.  My theory is that I am never going to pick just one game when there are hundreds of game systems out there, so needless to say I dabble in all of them. 

I think I finally found a system that I am going to love now in Dust Warfare.  I have only played one game so far and got my a$$ handed to me by my friend but I love the game, the mini's, and the setting.  I love how I can buy units for Dust Tactics and then use them in Warfare, I love how the miniatures come either ready to play or be painted at my leisure, I love the reactions that I can take when responding to something my enemy does.  I think it is great and it will only get better.  I think Fantasy Flight really hit it here with Dust Warfare for a couple reasons.  First, they don't need anyone to support  Warfare because if people are not into it FF does not lose, if people don't play Warfare they will still develop miniatures for Tactics as I am pretty sure that game is thriving.  If nobody decides to like the rules of 40K 6th edition this July, what are they going to do?  Revert back to 5th?  I think FF took a chance with this rule set because they promised it when they released Tactics and because they know that if it fails they can still throw all their money behind Tactics while only losing money on the core rule book for Warfare.  Second, the game is actually a blast to play, I think it is pretty darn strategic, the way suppression and reactions work, no more waiting for a half an hour for your opponent to do what he needs to do.

Are the rules written in a quirky way, sure they are, ask any Dystopian Wars player if the first edition of Spartan Games rulebook for that game was written any better.  It was horrible, rules were everywhere in that darn book, my gaming guys still cannot get a game of DW finished in under 5 hours, lol. But you know what, I bought into that game and loved it and still play it now, I loved it so much that when I bought my Warfare book two weeks ago I picked up the DW 2nd edition book also.  I think we need to ask ourselves what kind of enjoyment do we get out of these games?  While I hate finding typos and backwords rules sometimes, I still love the product because it gives me hours of hours of entertainment with my family and friends.

I think we need to use a little bit of common sense in our gaming, can Apes really attack vertically three inches?  IT says they can but unless these apes are King friggen Kong I am not letting my opponent attack me from a story below.  Alot has been said about house ruling, the problem with house ruling is that most gamers are completionists, we want to play the game the way it was meant to be played by the developers.  The problem with that is sometimes the developers and the play testers play their own style just like we all do, sometimes they miss something, whether it be giving a guy a movement value of 6" or 12".  I think as gamers we need to help the game along, we need to play test also, and most importantly we need to give FF some slack.  Were basically all adults and if your into this hobby then paying $40 for a core set of rules that has some mistakes is not a bad deal, it is much better than paying $80 for the book, then another $250 for your army, then another $40 for your armies book. 

Stay tuned, as soon as I can figure out how to post on these forums with my crappy Kindle Fire I will be up in all your business, lol..

#2 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Great write up thanks for sharin!

#3 CSMason26

CSMason26

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Here here brother!!! Happy gaming!!!

#4 M0NSTAR09

M0NSTAR09

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Mason, keep up those videos on YouTube, and stop being so angry, lol!!!

#5 CSMason26

CSMason26

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

M0NSTAR09 said:

Mason, keep up those videos on YouTube, and stop being so angry, lol!!!

Haha!!! Sorry, couldn't help it, it was a bad day… a real bad day. 

#6 Warboss Krag

Warboss Krag

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

You know, I consider the first impression of "Thoughts" emblematic. Despite the faults displayed in Dust Warfare, and a lot of messes (some small, some not so small) that need cleaning up, my first play-through of the game engendered much the same visceral reaction. There's a darn fine game here; yes, it needs some tweaking, but I don't know that I can say I've really, truly ever seen a game that hasn't. I just hope that the company doesn't mess it up under the auspecies of attempting to improve it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS