Jump to content



Photo

New game package with all plastic figures ?


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Brohnnitho

Brohnnitho

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hello there everyone

 

Im a huge fan of the Descent game, and after i heard about the second edition i sold my first edition as quickly i could.

 

but after i read about how the overlord spawns monsters in the second edition (ie. choosing from a vide range of all the monsters that has been created in this game) im really hoping that Fantasy Flight games will create a package with all the plastic figures that has ever been released for this game, either 1 hero package and 1 monster package or even a combined one, that way they will both be selling the converter kit AND the new plastic package, and us who might have sold there old first edition + thoes who never got the whole game collection with expansions and might think its abit waste going out buying full expansion games just for there plastic figures / character sheets.

anyone else hoping for the same thing ?



#2 Banemus

Banemus

    Member

  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

 Yea me too.

 

I don't have the first edition of the game but I would love to have all the figures but buying all the expansions + the base game just for the figures seems a bit to much for me:(

 

So Thumbs up for just the figures + conversion kit

 

 



#3 Jafix

Jafix

    Member

  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

 Two weeks ago, i found a thread on boardgamegeek forum, that some ppl are selling figures by ebay. If i was you, i will start there :) 

 

(thank god that i didnt sell my game :) )



#4 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

That would indeed be pretty convenient and win-win for you, not so much for us who held on to our oldies.



#5 Eldil

Eldil

    Member

  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Brohnnitho said:

im really hoping that Fantasy Flight games will create a package with all the plastic figures that has ever been released for this game, either 1 hero package and 1 monster package or even a combined one, that way they will both be selling the converter kit AND the new plastic package

I could imagine them releasing "monster expansion packs" which re-printed a group of the old monsters with the updated cards. I don't think you'll get all of the monsters in one box--the sticker shock would drive people away.

But before doing that, FFG will have to ask itself:

"Will this expansion sell more copies if it has old figures, or new figures?"

With old figures, they may save a little on design and production, assuming they still have the molds, but this will be countered by the fact that none of the people who kept their first-edition figures (which is probably a significant part of the market) will buy it.

I honestly don't think they'll reprint the old figures. I suspect there's more money (meaning more momentum for the game) in publishing new product.



#6 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Eldil said:

Brohnnitho said:

im really hoping that Fantasy Flight games will create a package with all the plastic figures that has ever been released for this game, either 1 hero package and 1 monster package or even a combined one, that way they will both be selling the converter kit AND the new plastic package

 

I could imagine them releasing "monster expansion packs" which re-printed a group of the old monsters with the updated cards. I don't think you'll get all of the monsters in one box--the sticker shock would drive people away.

But before doing that, FFG will have to ask itself:

"Will this expansion sell more copies if it has old figures, or new figures?"

With old figures, they may save a little on design and production, assuming they still have the molds, but this will be countered by the fact that none of the people who kept their first-edition figures (which is probably a significant part of the market) will buy it.

I honestly don't think they'll reprint the old figures. I suspect there's more money (meaning more momentum for the game) in publishing new product.

 

I agree. Sticker shock indeed, there are a ton of minis in those 4 boxes. Painted investigator figurines for Arkham are selling for $4 a pop, their monsters for more.

I could see them doing something like that in Print of Demand though. Buy a group of the old monsters with their cards for, say $25. Not sure how that would work for them since the minis are cast in China though, unless they invested in a plastic machine. Not sure it's worth it for them.



#7 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Columbob said:

That would indeed be pretty convenient and win-win for you, not so much for us who held on to our oldies.

It may not help those of us who own the first edition boxes already, but I don't see how it hurts us, either.  No reason to begrudge the OP his desire.

I'm sure there are some people out there who own first ed through and through and would still jump at the chance to get a second set of monster figs, though.



#8 aeroguru

aeroguru

    Member

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Steve-O said:

I'm sure there are some people out there who own first ed through and through and would still jump at the chance to get a second set of monster figs, though.

Indeed.  When I heard the first ed was going out of print I went into my local store and picked up another copy of the base game because I wanted a separate set of monster figs (mostly backups for screwing up the paint jobs on some of the others, having extras so I didn't have to substitute one monster type for another in certain of the quests, etc.).  Not surprisingly just purchasing another copy of the base game was less expensive that combing the internet and purchasing (and paying for shipping) for each separate monster piece I wanted.  Frankly the cost of the plastic probably makes up most of the cost of the base set anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly hefty price tag if FFG did release just the first ed monsters separately. 

Maybe I'm completely alone, but I tend to agree that there would be a fair number of first ed owners who might want more monster figs--I never got any extra copies of the monsters from the expansions, so for me it would be even better if they released them in separate packs by expansion (so first ed owners who only owned certain of the expansions would be able to buy the monsters from other expansions without buying repeats they didn't want, etc.).  However, the system has to at least be some sort of a money maker for FFG, so I wouldn't be surprised if (and that is a big if) they did choose to release the 1st ed plastic separately they'd package them in such a way that certain people will be buying some repeats to get everything they want (well, except those 2nd ed-ers who didn't have first ed that just buy the whole lot)--it's sort of like how whenever they release the James Bond movies in package sets they don't box them in order, or box all of them together that have the same actor playing James Bond, etc.  If you want all of the ones with your favorite Bond, it is set up so you have to buy all of the box sets.

 

 



#9 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

I'm torn on the issue of them releasing the old plastic figures again.  Sure I would love to see that even though I already have them all, but I don't think it is ever going to happen.  FFG is a company that is pretty foreword thinking, so I don't see them going backwards be reprinting the first edition stuff again.  The fact that they gave us the conversion box is more then I thought they would do.  I think that they are going to be more focused on the future of the game and not want to repeat themselves. 



#10 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

You never know, they are releasing painted Arham Horror figs, which are arguably useless to the game. And people are buying them in droves. Then again, I believe Arkham is a lot more popular than Descent.



#11 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

aeroguru said:

Frankly the cost of the plastic probably makes up most of the cost of the base set anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly hefty price tag if FFG did release just the first ed monsters separately.

This is true, the plastic figures are easily the most expensive component in the game. We've seen this time and again when FFG has released figures for other games independently of the box sets, they always end up being more expensive than people expect.

Columbob said:

You never know, they are releasing painted Arham Horror figs, which are arguably useless to the game. And people are buying them in droves. Then again, I believe Arkham is a lot more popular than Descent.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but I'd be curious to know if you have any numbers to back those statements up.  Both the bit about people buying the AH figures in droves and the bit about AH being more popular than Descent.  They're both great games and they both have tons of expansions, so short of seeing sales figures, I'm not entirely convinced that it's that easy to tell which is more popular.



#12 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Steve-O said:

Columbob said:

 

You never know, they are releasing painted Arham Horror figs, which are arguably useless to the game. And people are buying them in droves. Then again, I believe Arkham is a lot more popular than Descent.

 

 

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but I'd be curious to know if you have any numbers to back those statements up.  Both the bit about people buying the AH figures in droves and the bit about AH being more popular than Descent.  They're both great games and they both have tons of expansions, so short of seeing sales figures, I'm not entirely convinced that it's that easy to tell which is more popular.

 

According to Richard Launius, AH has sold well over 500K copies.

The simple fact that they're releasing wave after wave of monster figures, after the investigators minis trial run, is proof enough of their success.



#13 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Sorry, but I still have a hard time seeing people shell out that kinda cash for Descent first edition figures.  Sure, maybe a few heroes would make a killing, but overall the people aren't there to spend that much on a Kobold or the hero Aurim.  They would make a lot cash on a few of the classics, but would take a bath on the less popular figures.  AH has a way harder core fan based then Descent.  There all hopped up on Lovecraftian lore and the such.  I know that they became too hard core for my group, and they splintered off to form their new group which just does Lovecraftian games.  That is just my experience with that lot, and might not be that everyone is that way.  

Again, I posted this on the things that FFG should think about in the future topic, but maybe they could re-introduce some of the classics in the small box expansions that I thought of.  Overall, I think that moving foreword is probably their focus as of right now.  The conversion box was just to make the old gamers, like me, happy that I can still use my old stuff.   






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS