How to design a Battlefield?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

So I am rather new to the table top game thing and I looking find tips on designing a good battlefield to play on, like where to place terrain and how to make the table fun to play on.

#2 CSMason26

CSMason26

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

It's all up to you but in the book they show some aspects of where you could put terrain, ect., 

As a rule of thumb, when we played AT-43 my local group and I we tried to make sure there were at least 2 things in mind when placing terrain for the table top. 

1. Make sure there's enough of it to get cover, you may normally want at least 25% of the board to be covered in varying levels of soft and hard cover. (Warhammer suggests you use that much, some games don't really require it but cover is useful to both players.)
2. Make sure that there's enough room between terrain for figures to move around comfortably. I remember playing a game of AT-43 and I had totally forgotten I brought the largest vehicle in the game and when we placed terrain and we rolled for deployment, I got stuck on the side where my model could come onto the board but couldn't move through. 

Luckily Dust/FFG has some new buildings. You could buy one or two of the Cerberus campaign pack and a few of the little buildings they have up for preorder. 

#3 HuronBH

HuronBH

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

I suggest using a variety of terrain and not just a lot of one type.  Check out the Dust Warfare Terrain section for ideas on different types and how they effect the game.  I also suggest placing them so that each piece has a gap of 2-3 inches at least between each piece.  This will prevent situations like CSMason26 mentioned.

I personally also like to setup up mirrored terrain, so If I put a hill in one corner of the board I tend to put a similar sized hill in the opposit corner, etc.  This helps to make sure no player is getting an unfair advantage due to superior terrain setup.  I also like to put a medium to large Line of Site blocking piece of Impassible or Area Terrain (Tower, Forest, Ruins, etc) in the middle of the table as it usually helps to restrict fire lanes.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to ask any additional question you might have.

-jay

#4 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Gale Force Nine as a line called Battlefield in a box, some super prepainted items thant don not contain GW igon all over them that are priced well!

#5 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

thanks for all the great input and suggestions but I am looking for info on how to place and layout said terrian, i have enough odds and ends to make something just yhe layouts so far have been a bit one sided and have ended up with one side getting a large advantage.

#6 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Alternate placing terrain on the board with your opponent - that should make things more even, as you both place terrain to try to give each side an advantage.

#7 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

Each player brings 3 to 4 peices of terrain to add to a "Terrain Pool"  players roll off to see who places first then take turn till the pool is empty.

Then roll to pick a side, this forces players to be fair in terrain placment and spreads to effort and cost of terrain amongst the players .

Another fun thing to do is have a terrain building day with freinds to help with thier terrain pool, a group effort is alot of fun and tons of ideas are in this book,

This would work well for a 4x4 & a 4x6 table you might like to add or subtract terrain bassed on a biger table or if youd like to represent the challenged of fightinh in desert wasteland were thiers little cover… this is fun too!

#8 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

The Competitive Terrain Placement rules on Pg 67 are a good place to start.  It allows the players to make a fun battlefield and the person who has to deploy a unit first gets to then choose which deployment zone they want.

There is no right or wrong way to place the terrain, just try to keep each terrain piece at least 4" from any other and remeber, you have to run your troops to their side of the table in most games…

#9 RogueDirewolf

RogueDirewolf

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Here is a link to my battle report.

The first picture is of our battle field layout using exactly enough terrain to cover 25% of the board, and we each alternated turns with placing terrain per the suggestions in the rulebook (no less than 4" between terrain pieces)  We had not even determined which type of battle we were going to play so we didn't want to give an advantage to either person…so it ended up pretty evenly spaced…

javascript:void(0);/*1335894296003*/

#10 Kommissar Zeitsev

Kommissar Zeitsev

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

"Rule of Cool" should always be the main motivator when setting up a table.

Picture the coolest battle scenes in the movies, books, comics,etc. you have seen/read.  The setting for the most memorable battles offer something visually/theme-wise that makes them distinct and add to the feel, look and excitement of the action taking place.

I think a lot of wargamers get way too caught up in terrain percentags and formulas rather then just working to set up a visually appealing and stimulating location for a battle.  Wargaming should be just as much driven by theme/setting/story and visual cinematics as pie charts and rules imho.

Most tourney tables look like a mess of stuff all equally spead about in a most unnatural way imho and are rather bland and uninspiring.

Think of a scene for your battle such as:

1.  A factory full of crate piles and flatbed trucks

2. A roadway passing through thick jungle lands

3. A burning city full of rubble and craters

4. A beachhead with defense fortifications

5. A railyard with empty and topped freight cars

etc.

Then go about bringing that theme to life visually.

#11 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

V2 rocket bunker with huge rockets, one ready to launch with a crane and the second one on a trailer , concentration camp with watch towers in 4 corners and fence, nazi ufo testing site with stonehenge like terrain in the middle and a half burried bell ufo…  

I want to have multi level terrain that will block line of sight, not only terrain that grants cover, so I think I will make couple of clifs that has one or two entries to the top, some pieces like watchtowers, water towers, antenas, buildings etc, some maybe connected with bridges etc, and to get to the ones with good lines or fire and cover  you would have to cross some distance in the open, some passages to cross the battlefield without being seen, and lines of fire that opens to few other cover pieces but hidden from the others, I think a good inspiration could be from studying online shooters, those maps have been designed to have interesting layouts. for example I think a good map would be "rust" from CoD:mw2. Play Battlefield 2 (i loved it, old one now) or new ones those have nice open terrain.

#12 RogueRegault

RogueRegault

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Another few things to consider about terrain:

Size: If impassable terrain is too small, it might as well not be there since units can easily avoid it. If it's too large, it dominates the battlefield. RogueDirewolf and I used to go to a game store in Seattle for minis tournaments and half the battles there wound up with the players trying to avoid a 2' by 2' impassable mess of diorama style terrain sitting in the middle of the board. I would personally suggest area terrain pieces should cover somewhere between 6" by 8" and the size of a piece of notebook paper. Walls and such should probably be six to eight inches long. If you have 3" or 4" walls, deploy multiples as a single piece of terrain.

Another thing you might want to do is create long strips of cloth or latex rubber with a road pattern on them. They wouldn't count as terrain per se, but placing them on the board would give it structure to suggest a theme for placing other terrain.

#13 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

RogueRegault said:

Another few things to consider about terrain:

Size: If impassable terrain is too small, it might as well not be there since units can easily avoid it. If it's too large, it dominates the battlefield. RogueDirewolf and I used to go to a game store in Seattle for minis tournaments and half the battles there wound up with the players trying to avoid a 2' by 2' impassable mess of diorama style terrain sitting in the middle of the board.

Unless if you'll give alternative way to cross it, thats why I think "rust" would be fun, there is big tower in the middle, you can go up, go right, or climb the tower. but while you'll be getting there you may be exposed to other lines of fire that usualy has a little LOS to other hideouts but very good on the tower etc.

Good idea might be to look at paintball fields (speedball, x-ball) line of fire are very important there. I would just add some multi level terrain to it.

#14 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Never mind.  thought I was in a different post…

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS