What are the four Talisman regions?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Osbo25

Osbo25

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

The rulebook for The Dungeon expansion says, "Surrounding the land of Talisman are four great kingdoms known as Regions."  The Dungeon and The Highland are two of the Regions.  What are the other two?

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I guess I don't see the dungeon as a region. But for the purposes of the board, it is (and a kingdom, which it is, because of the LoD at the end).

I've asked this question before and no one can or will answer but I'll try again:

Will the 3rd and 4th corner-board expansions wrap *all* the space between previous board expansions

or will they be of symmetrical to the previous boards (so another board expansion set will be needed to fill in the final spaces)

-Oberon

#3 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Osbo25 said:

The rulebook for The Dungeon expansion says, "Surrounding the land of Talisman are four great kingdoms known as Regions."  The Dungeon and The Highland are two of the Regions.  What are the other two?

The other two regions are the City and the Forest.

It follows the same idea as Talisman third edition

#4 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

Velhart said:

Osbo25 said:

You know this for sure, because ______ (source?)

What about my other question? Do you know if the City/Forest will completely wrap the board, or will it mirror the other corner boards?

Will there a blank space, or another sort of board, if the latter?

thanks, anyone, Oberon

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

0beron said:

Velhart said:

Osbo25 said:

You know this for sure, because ______ (source?)

What about my other question? Do you know if the City/Forest will completely wrap the board, or will it mirror the other corner boards?

Will there a blank space, or another sort of board, if the latter?

thanks, anyone, Oberon

The Highland, which is the mountain expansion, and the Dungeon are both from talisman third edition

The region boards have the same shape as in third edition. They only made it larger.

I think that FFG will follow the same board format for the City and the Forest.

So you get 4 corners around the board.

The 2th edition has only the City and the dungeon.

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

At my age, I am having problems remembering what exactly I played in the '80s, mostly.

I guess that was the second edition.  It had a main board. It had a dungeon board. It had a City board. And it had a timescape board. There was an expansion called Dragons, I think, but no board.

I don't believe I ever saw, in real life, a 3rd edition set. I heard it didn't have the timescape, but it had a dragon tower, kinda elaborate.

Well, this answers various questions. An actual larger board for the City corner will most likely have a mix between City "spaces" and 'near City spaces', or what do the spoilers indicate, or the previous board.

Can you point me to a close up of the 3rd City Board?

**** The forest as a larger board also seems to be "too big".  Any idea, spoilers etc, or based on the previous 3rd edition on how that works out.

It would be tempting to have a space in the forest called   The Ancient Cemetary" (or Graveyard)

-  Oberon

#7 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

Hi Oberon,

I have a picture here of the City and Forest board from Talisman third edition

As you can see, both are corners that are placed around the board. 

#8 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Expect around about 29 spaces for each new board!

Ell.

#9 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

talismanamsilat said:

Expect around about 29 spaces for each new board!

Ell.

Thank you Velhart for posting the pic. To me this looks equal in size/orientation to ones for the Dungeon and Highlands.

*this is why I think exact size and orientation leaves a blank spot on two long ends of the board.

Ell, thanks for the space count.  I don't have the existing boards available; how many spaces do they have?

-Oberon

#10 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Both the Dungeon & Highland boards have exactly 29 spaces Oberon.

Regards,

Ell.

#11 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

I guess I should be a little more patient!  Thanks for all the extra details, friends.

Oberon

#12 Triple A

Triple A

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Oberon,

I'm no expert here, but I I'll try to answer your question.

Before the current FFG version of Talisman, there was a very similar version produced by Black Industries.  When FFG took over, they made a number of small but important changes, and made a commitment to support those who owned the Black Industries version.  

My understanding is that the Black Industries board was smaller, and that when the 4 corner expansions are released, they will essentially wrap-around the main board (with no empty spaces).  Since the FFG board is bigger, there will be gaps.  I do not think FFG will be looking to fill those gaps with other boards as that would not work for the Black Industries folks.   

Somebody else please jump in if I've got this wrong.

#13 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

This is the answer I am looking for!  Thanks Triple 'A' !

Having said that, I think its a shame to not put something there. On the other hand, I suppose, it could be used to place things like the new Day/Night counter card, or things like that.

I guess I was thinking and hoping that FFG would go beyond previous editions (except in the case of Timescape - - what would be beyond that?)

and go for New territories! (my aforementioned Desert, Swamp or other ideas for the "empty spaces" that be present.

Who thinks they should just keep making new boards?

- Oberon

#14 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Don't forget this one Oberon, a new Timescape do you think???

Regards,

Elliott.

#15 Osbo25

Osbo25

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Velhart said:

Am I correct in understanding that the City and the Forest have not yet been released for the 4th Revised Edition yet?

#16 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

talismanamsilat said:

Does this mean you favor a new version of Timescape for 4th Ed Talisman?

I actually loved the old Timescape. I would spend as much time there as I could. My wife would not go if you put a gun to her head!

Anyone know if a Timescape will ultimately happen? I would hope it would have suitable upgrading for the 21st Century!

-Oberon

Don't forget this one Oberon, a new Timescape do you think???

Regards,

Elliott.

#17 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

Osbo25 said:

Velhart said:

Am I correct in understanding that the City and the Forest have not yet been released for the 4th Revised Edition yet?

Yes, that's correct.

It will probably be released in the future.

I think that the City is next in line after the blood moon expansion.

#18 Osbo25

Osbo25

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Velhart said:

Osbo25 said:

Velhart said:

Yes, that's correct.

It will probably be released in the future.

I think that the City is next in line after the blood moon expansion.

Thank you very much.  I just want to make sure that we aren't missing out on anything.  The Dungeon, The Highland, and The Reaper expansions arrived in the mail yesterday.  The Frostmarch and The Dragon should be arriving on Monday.  The Sacred Pool should arrive by the end of the week.  I'm looking forward to breaking all of these in.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS