the artwork looks epic on this one

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

Short Cut really looks lovely. It is a nice theme of a card as well. However, the playability seems awful: pay a resource, use the card, exhaust a hobbit, all that only to get a different card from the encounter deck: I may be proven wrong but right now it seem like a total waste.

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

yes the artwork is great on that- reminds me of woody end

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

lleimmoen said:

Short Cut really looks lovely. It is a nice theme of a card as well. However, the playability seems awful: pay a resource, use the card, exhaust a hobbit, all that only to get a different card from the encounter deck: I may be proven wrong but right now it seem like a total waste.

Specially because you have to shuffle the deck, then reveal the new card. You could draw anything. It's an even worse event version of Eleanor.

#5 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Titan said:

Specially because you have to shuffle the deck, then reveal the new card. You could draw anything. It's an even worse event version of Eleanor.

You make it sound like Eleanor is bad.

#6 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Bohemond said:

Titan said:

She was unspectacular back in the Core Set. Those treacheries were generally pretty benign, so replacing them usually wasn't worth it. Now, though, with so many treacheries that can singlehandedly end the game, she's excellent in many scenarios. 

#7 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, I totally see a reason for Eleanor in many a quest now, much much more than in the past. But Short Cut? Is it that we are going to see some "instant loss" locations in the future scenarios? Cause otherwise I cannot see ever playing this card.

#8 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

lleimmoen said:

Yeah, I totally see a reason for Eleanor in many a quest now, much much more than in the past. But Short Cut? Is it that we are going to see some "instant loss" locations in the future scenarios? Cause otherwise I cannot see ever playing this card.

I'd like it a lot more if it were a 0-cost event and/or had a more liberal restriction (exhaust any character as opposed to a Hobbit character, for instance). Still, I don't know that it's entirely useless. Locations with high threat values that aren't worth traveling to--Rocky Craig, East Wall of Rohan, etc.--might make good targets, as might those with particularly back-breaking effects based on a particular board position (Pelennor Fields, perhaps). It's situational, to be sure, but there will be a few corner cases in which it has value.

In other words, it's not great, but it's no Meneldor's Flight.

#9 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

Bohemond said:

Titan said:

Bad is an understatement, terrible would be more like it.

#10 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

Eleanor has saved my friends and I from crippling losses more times than I can count.

#11 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Titan said:

Bohemond said:

Titan said:

Bad is an understatement, terrible would be more like it.

Eleanor is amazing in any scenario which has treachery cards that create a make losing much more likely, and we now have a bunch of those.  She is amazing in multiplayer games (I can't imagine every playing 4 player and not having someone use her), but remains viable even in solo play.  I have a very successful solo deck that has used her since the release of core.  She offers abilities that aren't match by any other hero.  if you see her as terrible than you aren't using her properly.

#12 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

First off, let me make it clear that my views are those of a solo player. If you find use for her in co-op, I cannot argue. However, I just love the assumption that because I don't like what she brings to the table, I must not know what to do with her. Personally, I find that there are more efficient ways to deal with nasty treacheries than a hero that is very limited in the scope of the solo game.

#13 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Titan said:

First off, let me make it clear that my views are those of a solo player. If you find use for her in co-op, I cannot argue. However, I just love the assumption that because I don't like what she brings to the table, I must not know what to do with her. Personally, I find that there are more efficient ways to deal with nasty treacheries than a hero that is very limited in the scope of the solo game.

I didn't object to you saying that you "didn't like what she brings to the table."  I objected to you saying that she was '"terrible."  And she is still a very effective character in the solo game.  If you want to say that you don't like her or would rather play other characters those are perfectly valid opinions.  But if you argue that she is terrible that's not simply a matter of opinion.  A player who uses her effectively in solo play can show you to be demonstrably wrong.

#14 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

To your original point, rich, the artwork in this pack is spectacular. Along with the player cards, there are several encounter cards that are simply stunning. Disturbed Waters is probably my personal favorite, although Doors of Durin and Stair Falls are also really well done.

If I recall correctly, LotR was recently nominated for The Dice Tower's "Best Art" award, among other accolades. This pack is just another reminder why. The game may have some inconsistencies and rules kinks that need to be polished, but the art direction has been top-notch from day one. 

In other words, those tentacles may obliterate your party, but darn it if they don't look mighty pretty while doing so 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS