Arwen Undomiel

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Oh my god!! I have just seen this card and its the best bit of artwork ive seen. In my mind throughout the books, i always pictured her as a beauty and the artist has totally done her justice. Cant wait to get this set then she will have her own place on the pillow beside me!!!

#2 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

Ted, I absolutely agree: the art is gorgeous and ethereal, and the best part is that she is a darn good card!  I already have her 3 copies in my primary deck. :) 

#3 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

I didn't notice this on the spoiler, but I just noticed the flavor text on Arwen says, "…in whom it was said that the likeness of L thien had come on earth again…"

FFG really needs a spell checker.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#4 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

DurinIII said:

Ted, I absolutely agree: the art is gorgeous and ethereal, and the best part is that she is a darn good card!  I already have her 3 copies in my primary deck. :) 

Yeh it looks like she can trigger a pretty tasty defence on the right card.

#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Bullroarer Took said:

I didn't notice this on the spoiler, but I just noticed the flavor text on Arwen says, "…in whom it was said that the likeness of L thien had come on earth again…"

FFG really needs a spell checker.

Hmm. I checked the preview and it has Lúthien written, so at least they had it right at some point.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#6 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

This is a fantastic card! It's probably one of the only uniques I will run a full 3 copies of in my deck, the other one being Gleowine. I wish more of the cards in the set had been this good. Getting tired of spending $10 just to get 1 good player card in a sphere that is already awesome.

#7 Bohemond

Bohemond

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Depending on what type of deck you use, there are 5 top notch player cards in Watcher.  Some packs don';t give us much, but this isn't one of them.

The Blade That Was Broken - If you run aragorn and have access to leadership, this is a willpower boost that rivals faramir. 

Resourcefulness  - For secrecy decks, this is a must-have card.

Legacy of Durin - Every dwarf deck that uses lore should include three of this card. It may be the most powerful single card in a strong set.

Arwen - As previous posters have said, another winner.

Elrond's Counsel - 3 threat reduction and +1 will for the cost of just the card?  I will take it.  Especially when the only requirement is that you get Arwen into play.

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Believe me, this card looks better than it is. Honestly, this card is crap, because you won't be able to exhaust her. Who wants to look at that face in a 90 degree angle? Who? Who? WHO???????

Hence, no one is going to exhaust Arven EVER. Ok, perhaps when they provide us with a card that allows us to exhaust characters without turning them sidewards. Like this:

Honeymoon

Action: Kiss a character card  to exhaust it.

#9 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Unless theres the million to one chance that you're playing partner is liv tyler, then you can happily exhaust arwen and still have the benefit of seeing the beauty. She would, of course, have to have the big elven ears attached while playing.(So be prepared for her to decline the invitation, knowing that she has to "ear up" before coming over to yours for a game)

#10 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

Ted Sandyman said:

Unless theres the million to one chance that you're playing partner is liv tyler, then you can happily exhaust arwen and still have the benefit of seeing the beauty. She would, of course, have to have the big elven ears attached while playing.(So be prepared for her to decline the invitation, knowing that she has to "ear up" before coming over to yours for a game)

not that im saying liv isnt beautiful-she is….ive just always thought her a poor choice for arwen…though imagination is a taste

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#11 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

I cannot but agree, she was one of the worst casting decisions, and all the worse probably done to have a well known face in it, which otherwise wasn't the trend at all. I liked the casting overall. I like the one for the Hobbit even much more.

#12 Robert McMutton

Robert McMutton

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

I agree with both of you. She was a deception to me when I had known that she got the role for Arwen. A pity.

#13 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

I have to disagree gentlemen, but thats just a taste thing. Who would you like to have been cast in that role, out of interest? My first choice would have been angelina jolie but i was happy with liv.

#14 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Ted Sandyman said:

I have to disagree gentlemen, but thats just a taste thing. Who would you like to have been cast in that role, out of interest? My first choice would have been angelina jolie but i was happy with liv.

rachel bilson

#15 Robert McMutton

Robert McMutton

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Ted Sandyman said:

It's about taste of course, but I was thinking in Kate Beckinsale.

#16 Ted Sandyman

Ted Sandyman

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Oh yeh i forgot about her. She would be perfect. Naturally beautiful, which is a rarity.

#17 Shelfwear

Shelfwear

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Nope, worst casting for LotR was another Elf: Haldir, the chubby elf with a five o'clock shadow…

#18 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Ted Sandyman said:

Oh yeh i forgot about her. She would be perfect. Naturally beautiful, which is a rarity.

Right now I would have cast Olivia Wilde - just because of the looks, she is not a great actress but at least as good as Liv Tyler and she is certainly better looking, much more female-like, I would go as far as saying much more Elf-like.

In the male department I really like how they go almost entirely American-free for the Hobbit. Brits are just so much better in general. But they could go for more Scandinavian actors as well.

Now, I appologize in advance with both of these statements, I do not want to cause havoc over them. It is just a matter of taste as has been mentioned.

#19 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

LOVED the casting of Liv and thought she did a wonderful job as Arwen.

But to be fair, I've always loved Liv even before the LotR movies. Empire Records, That Thing You Do, Armageddon, etc.

#20 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

lleimmoen said:

Ted Sandyman said:

Right now I would have cast Olivia Wilde - just because of the looks, she is not a great actress but at least as good as Liv Tyler and she is certainly better looking, much more female-like, I would go as far as saying much more Elf-like.

In the male department I really like how they go almost entirely American-free for the Hobbit. Brits are just so much better in general. But they could go for more Scandinavian actors as well.

Now, I appologize in advance with both of these statements, I do not want to cause havoc over them. It is just a matter of taste as has been mentioned.

not letting the fact that im english sway my opinion- i think it was important that a good majority of the cast were english, given that tolkien was, and as in my chapter that discusses this (a time and a place) based much of the places in middle earth in english locations

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS