Multiple characters on one ship

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zso Sahaal

Zso Sahaal

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

So im brand new to running and im wondering during a space battle what do all the players do? I mean the rogue trader as captain determines the vessels actions. the void master could handle maneuvers or gunnery or launching small craft. a explorator could run damage control tests or try to coax a little extra out of the old girl so to speak but what does a seneschal or missionary or arch militant do during space combat?

#2 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Well that largely depends on the nature of the character, really. Your seneschal might be the make a detailed scan of the enemy vessel to find its' weak points, or he's on the vox managing the emergency comms traffic to prevent the crew from rioting. The missionary could be in the med-bay patching up crew-members, or leading a boarding party of power-armoured sororitas. Your arch-militant could be down in the gunnery decks with a whip and bull-horn, forcing the loading crews to work faster or up in the bridge plotting in a firing solution. If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting Into The Storm and taking a look at Ship Roles. They're positions on the ship that confer certain responsibilities and bonuses, which may assist your players in finding things to do on the ship that suit them.

#3 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

look up the Starship Combat Cards thread - they'll help your players keep track of what each of them can do :)

#4 Epoin

Epoin

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

Players will normally take extended actions to help out with what ever needs doing

#5 Malevant

Malevant

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

I will say that ship combat has been one of the most difficult things for my party to grasp/get into.  We use maps for all combat, and my experience has been that players are used to being able to move their guy around, attack stuff with it, etc.  With ship combat, you will generally have all the characters on one ship, with one person being responsible for moving, one for shooting, and the rest doing other functions.  It can be difficult to get the hang of for a party.

As far as what each player does, take a look at the Extended Actions in Space Combat in the RT Core rules.  You should have a pretty good idea of what skill-sets each of your players has built his or her character towards, and you'll find that a LOT of those skills have an application in ship combat.  I'd use those extended actions as a guideline, rather than a definitive list.  If you have someone who makes a character who just isn't trained (or good) at any of the skills that are listed in the Extended Actions, see what you can make up for them to do to contribute.  And if that is not possible (say they've made a character with massive WS, S, T, and ZERO non-combat skills) you can always allow them to "lead" a boarding party or hit and run action initiated by another character to give a bonus.

One other note - I've read elsewhere (and agree with it myself) that its not a good idea to allow your party's characters on multiple ships in the course of combat.  It makes it more difficult to deal with adventure hooks in basically all of the published adventures, increases the risk that SOMEONE is going to be burning a Fate point, and just generally reduces the ability for face to face interactions between characters.  Since my group is obtaining more ships, I've basically told them that they can each pick one or more ships (divvied up however works for the group) and then they get to control that ship in space combat through training the command staff of that ship, direct vox/astropathic link, etc.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS