Why "Wizard" and not "Community Flight?"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Am I the only one who thinks of "Wizards of the Coast" when the word "Wizard" is used in gaming parlance? I think this is a great idea, and I applaud FFG for moving forward with this service, but I really think that they could have chosen a better name to reflect their service, and one that represented their company's name instead of perhaps the largest hobby gaming company in the the US, if not the world.

Let's hope that this service lives up to it's potential. But I still think the name will make people think of a different company.

#2 The Old Man

The Old Man

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

How about a contest to give it a new name?

#3 Brine

Brine

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

JerusalemJones said:

Am I the only one who thinks of "Wizards of the Coast" when the word "Wizard" is used in gaming parlance?

I doubt it, but I certainly don't. It's called a wizard because that's what it is, a wizard. Seems logical enough to me.

#4 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

I like Community Flight. That fits well. I think wizard would work fine if this weren't a gaming company, but because it is, I totally agree with JerusalemJones.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Budgernaut said:

I like Community Flight. That fits well. I think wizard would work fine if this weren't a gaming company, but because it is, I totally agree with JerusalemJones.

Seconded. The first thought I had upon noticing these news was "what the hell is Wizards of the Cost doing with FFG?"

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 The Gamers Den

The Gamers Den

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

I think Jerusalem Jones is right. And not just because this account is the one for his store lol.

#7 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I agree with JJ too. the name just screams WotC to me. How about 'FFG Connect'? 'Flight Finder'? 'Flighmunity'? 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS