Jump to content



Photo

A Bit off Topic: What''s your favorite card sleeves for GoT►


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 HungryHippo

HungryHippo

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Just wondering what people''s favorites are and why►

Not a big fan of ultrapro. :/

 



#2 Bomb

Bomb

    Cool Person Club

  • Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I know they are necessary for official tournaments, but I am a fan of no card sleeves.  Very annoying to shuffle and watch shuffle.  Nothing is worse than when they catch each other in a shuffle and tear.



#3 imrahil327

imrahil327

    Member

  • Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

I sleeve all my AGOT cards in a single color of Dragon Shields (Black in my case) and all my plots in a different color, so I can easily switch cards between decks.



#4 Ruvion

Ruvion

    Member

  • Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

 Dragon Shields are good…I can attest to it that considering all 4000+ cards are sleeved with no prob.

The upkeep, however, is bleeding me dry. 



#5 fhornmikey

fhornmikey

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

 I personally use ultrapro, but really only because I had a ton of old ultrapro sized deckboxes sitting around from my MtG days.



#6 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

    Member

  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

 I like the FFG clear sleeves.  I don't want to hide any art, even the backs.  I would like to know if anyone has a cheaper idea with similar quality.



#7 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

flightmaster101 said:

 I like the FFG clear sleeves.  I don't want to hide any art, even the backs.  I would like to know if anyone has a cheaper idea with similar quality.

clear sleeves illegal for tourney play fyi.

like mike i use ultrapro black, though i did buy 150 meli sleeves last time i was at flgs to use at worlds :)



#8 Kennon

Kennon

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

 

Card Sleeves
For all officially sanctioned regional, national, invitational, and world championship events, players are required to use protective sleeves for their decks. For all local level events, card sleeves are not required, but players are encouraged to use sleeves both to protect their cards and to protect themselves against accusations of marking or manipulating decks by the size of their cards.

 

 

Hmmm… I don't see anything that requires the sleeves to be colored.

I generally use Ultrapro or Dragon Shield myself, and the matte ones that I've seen around are pretty awesome. Slight edge goes to Dragon Shield, but they are pretty expensive. The FFG colored sleeves are honestly pretty nice, but I never see them around here anymore.



#9 DCRobb

DCRobb

    Member

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

The Ultra Pro: Pro-Matte sleeves are excellent. I had been using standard Ultra Pro and FFG art sleeves, but after discovering the Pro-Matte sleeves, I have switched over to 6 sets of those. They hit the right points for size, texture, and durability.



#10 Danigral

Danigral

    Member

  • Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

DCRobb said:

The Ultra Pro: Pro-Matte sleeves are excellent. I had been using standard Ultra Pro and FFG art sleeves, but after discovering the Pro-Matte sleeves, I have switched over to 6 sets of those. They hit the right points for size, texture, and durability.

^^ This. I haven't splurged for Dragon Shield because these are perfect for me.

The FFG sleeves are too big for the FFG cards, ironically. 



#11 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

    Member

  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

dcdennis said:

flightmaster101 said:

 

 I like the FFG clear sleeves.  I don't want to hide any art, even the backs.  I would like to know if anyone has a cheaper idea with similar quality.

 

 

clear sleeves illegal for tourney play fyi.

like mike i use ultrapro black, though i did buy 150 meli sleeves last time i was at flgs to use at worlds :)

Could you give a citation from rules or FAQ please?  I'm not trying to be skeptical, but I can't seem to find that rule.



#12 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

flightmaster101 said:

dcdennis said:

 

flightmaster101 said:

 

 I like the FFG clear sleeves.  I don't want to hide any art, even the backs.  I would like to know if anyone has a cheaper idea with similar quality.

 

 

clear sleeves illegal for tourney play fyi.

like mike i use ultrapro black, though i did buy 150 meli sleeves last time i was at flgs to use at worlds :)

 

 

Could you give a citation from rules or FAQ please?  I'm not trying to be skeptical, but I can't seem to find that rule.

general consensus at the meta tonight was that it was indeed explicitly stated in previous versions on the tourney rules, but it must have been surrepticiously removed, in favor of the less strict '..so you arent marking your cards…' text. As obviosly you can still mark your cards while using clear sleeves.



#13 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

    Member

  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

dcdennis said:

flightmaster101 said:

 

dcdennis said:

 

flightmaster101 said:

 

 I like the FFG clear sleeves.  I don't want to hide any art, even the backs.  I would like to know if anyone has a cheaper idea with similar quality.

 

 

clear sleeves illegal for tourney play fyi.

like mike i use ultrapro black, though i did buy 150 meli sleeves last time i was at flgs to use at worlds :)

 

 

Could you give a citation from rules or FAQ please?  I'm not trying to be skeptical, but I can't seem to find that rule.

 

 

general consensus at the meta tonight was that it was indeed explicitly stated in previous versions on the tourney rules, but it must have been surrepticiously removed, in favor of the less strict '..so you arent marking your cards…' text. As obviosly you can still mark your cards while using clear sleeves.

wow I didn't really think of that.  I assume you mean marking the backs so they can know to shuffle certain cards together and know what's comming up next.  Maybe I should get 60ish colored sleeves just to be safe.



#14 fhornmikey

fhornmikey

    Member

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

 It was definitely in older versions of the Tournament Rules, I can remember reading and rereading them in preparation for my first tournament.



#15 ktom

ktom

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:02 AM

There's always the FAQ:

 

Are card sleeves mandatory at sanctioned
tournaments?
Card sleeves are mandatory at sanctioned
regional, national, invitational, and world
championship events. At local events, card
sleeves are not required. However, it is
advisable that players sleeve their cards, as a
means to protect themselves against suspicion
of trying to mark or manipulate cards.

 

 

While not specifically saying anything about clear sleeves, the fact that sleeves are required to guard against marking and manipulating cards is preserved.

 

 

 

 

 

 



#16 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

    Member

  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

 I think that Dragon Shield sleeves are the best quality. But, I began using Ultra-Pro after a while because of the cost factor. Especially so if you play multiple LCGs, Dragon Shields will break the bank.


Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com


#17 dcdennis

dcdennis

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

fhornmikey said:

 It was definitely in older versions of the Tournament Rules, I can remember reading and rereading them in preparation for my first tournament.

thank you for confirming that im not nuts :). I distincty recall reading it and having to swap out several hundred clear sleeves because of that, but was beggining to question my own sanity.



#18 alpha5099

alpha5099

    Member

  • Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I favor Ultra Pro sleeves, though I've used a few different kinds. When I first got into AGOT, I bought an eBay auction of two packs of brown Dragon Shield sleeves, but I've ended up using those mainly for special cards; plots, agendas, Identities in Netrunner. Didn't want to drop the money on more Dragon Shields, and I decided to use different colors for different houses (I'm crazy, it's way more trouble than it's worth, but I like the look--it is making it tricky to figure out sleeving for Netrunner and Star Wars, as I want to use new colors for both sides), so I have Ultra Pro sleeves in white, yellow, orange, red, green, and blue. I tried out some black FFG sleeves briefly, but I found that they were too long to shuffle well, and I had some orange Dek Prot sleeves but I didn't like how they felt or how shiny they were.

Does anyone know if the FFG art sleeves are the same length as FFG's solid color sleeves? I assume they are, but some of those designs are quite fetching.

 



#19 Ruvion

Ruvion

    Member

  • Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

 FFG needs to crank more AGoT art sleeves out!
Preferably those from House GJ (Euron?), Martell (TRV?), Targaryen (Drogon? Daeny?), and one depicting some iconic Neutral character (ie Mance Rayder, ser Beric Dondarrion or ser Arthur Dayne).



#20 flightmaster101

flightmaster101

    Member

  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Yes Red Viper Sleeves please!

One of my favorite characters!  Despite that spoiler that happens to him.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS