• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 KillaRr

KillaRr

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

It's still WIP.

It will be a 3 parts 1.20m x 1.80m table.

Laters

#2 Undeadhepcat

Undeadhepcat

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

Wow! Looks pretty good so far -- really like all the details (like the poster etc.)

#3 zuggzugg

zuggzugg

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

That''s looking awesome!

I''ve been thinking about starting one up. I want it to be similar to the GW one that can be put into 3 different configurations. I''m trying to figure out how to do that in a urban setting.

Keep the progress shots coming!

#4 Dakkon426

Dakkon426

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

how do you get the builging to have that plaster look it► I plan on trying to make something like this but im still looking for the know how.

#5 zuggzugg

zuggzugg

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

You can buy regular spackle and apply it to any smooth surface to give a good texture. Are there any custom bought pieces aside from the small props in there►

#6 KillaRr

KillaRr

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I use foam board.

First paint it black than when its dry I aply a thin layer of woodglue to it.

Than I spread birdsand (extremly fine sand) on it.

When dry aply the colour you want and dry brush 50% with lighter colour.

Last drybrush real dry with white.

Sorry for my bad englisch.

regards 

#7 KillaRr

KillaRr

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

zuggzugg said:

You can buy regular spackle and apply it to any smooth surface to give a good texture. Are there any custom bought pieces aside from the small props in there►

No everything is made by myself. 

regards

#8 ottocannon

ottocannon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Urban boards are cool. And you need allot of cover in this game.

#9 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Dust Warfare will be my first miniatures game.  Here''s my first attempt at putting together some terrain for it:

#10 KillaRr

KillaRr

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

felkor said:

Dust Warfare will be my first miniatures game.  Here''s my first attempt at putting together some terrain for it:

Looking good!!

#11 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Both look awesome, but the second one seems a little too "green" to me.  I would not be upset to own or play on it in anyway, just a little clean for me.

#12 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Gobbo said:

Both look awesome, but the second one seems a little too "green" to me.  I would not be upset to own or play on it in anyway, just a little clean for me.

It's not quite so brightly green in person, and has more variation than you can see in the picture.

That said, some brown patches might be nice too… Not sure how I would do that though if I wanted to, as I want the mat to be able to be rolled up.
Still, I'm pretty happy with it for my first attempt at putting some terrain together.

#13 Kommissar Zeitsev

Kommissar Zeitsev

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

felkor said:

Gobbo said:

It's not quite so brightly green in person, and has more variation than you can see in the picture.

That said, some brown patches might be nice too… Not sure how I would do that though if I wanted to, as I want the mat to be able to be rolled up.
Still, I'm pretty happy with it for my first attempt at putting some terrain together.

spraypaint.

You can do a "dusting" ttechnique to add some variety of color rather easily.

#14 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks.  Think I'll leave it for now but will keep that in mind in the future when I do more work on terrain.

#15 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Trees as you have them now havent got defined areas of cover so it would be better idea to group them together and add a base to them, to do that get some syntethic fur. Cut patches, trim it if neccessary, paint if desired. Glue some trees on plasticard base (or anything that will hold shape), glue fur on top, you might have to cut a line from an edge of fur to tree, so you can slot it in. Viola. You can also make roads this way. That will brake the colour of your table and add some variety to the terrain.

www.elladan.de/001%20fur%20mat%20test%20pieces/001.htm

#16 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

That looks awesome, Galadhir!

And I agree - I need to do something more with the trees - if only so I don't keep knocking them over!

#17 scott242

scott242

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Tables look awesome.

Quick question for you guys…I'm trying to make some modular terrain elements that can be repositioned on a generic table to keep it interesting. I'd like to have some kind of base on these that defines the cover area for rules purposes…My friend has used foam core as a base for these type of things, but a few of those pieces are starting to warp badly.  Is there another material thats lightweight, workable, and can handle glue and paint without warping?

Thanks

#18 DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

scott242 said:

Tables look awesome.

Quick question for you guys…I'm trying to make some modular terrain elements that can be repositioned on a generic table to keep it interesting. I'd like to have some kind of base on these that defines the cover area for rules purposes…My friend has used foam core as a base for these type of things, but a few of those pieces are starting to warp badly.  Is there another material thats lightweight, workable, and can handle glue and paint without warping?

Thanks

Thin MDF and Masonite are you best bet for what you are looking for. Both can be found easily at any DIY/ Home Improvement store.

#19 scott242

scott242

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Awesome, thanks, I'll be sure to post pics when I get some stuff together.

#20 JigBakerSugar

JigBakerSugar

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Acrylic, if you've got the money.

MDF will warp less than masonite, but masonite is thinner. One thing that helps a lot is sealing it well with a non-water based paint. Wood fibers swell when they get wet (with water) and that's what causes most of the warping.  (The other primary cause is when you put a layer of glue or paint on it, the paint or glue can shrink, and "pull up" the wood as it does so. But this will be minimal, and even less if you're gluing sand on.) I've had good results with Krylon Crystal Clear. Just be aware that it can attack foam. I'll usually spray heavily with the Crystal clear before gluing anything on. Especially hit the edges well.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS