Squad Modes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YokuniCat

YokuniCat

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

I am trying to learn the rules as regards to squad modes.  I will try to explain my problems and then see if you guys can put me out of my misery.

A leader calls for squad mode, everyone joins. 

Questions 

1). The squad leader can call for any of the squad modes that are under the oath the kill team took, plus any of his chapter ones, that the whole kill team can use ?

2). The kill team can use their own chapter squad modes, but only for themselves ?

Those are the hard ones that seem to have contradicting rules, everything else I think I can do, thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Nathiel

Nathiel

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

The Errata on the support page helps with this some, but I'll try to clarify.

Any member of the kill team in squad mode (not just the leader) can call for and start any of the squad abilities allowed by the oath. Any squad members in squad mode and in support range can benefit from the ability. 

Any kill team member in squad mode can call for their chapter abilities, but  only members of the same chapter* can benefit from it.

Notes: a member can only benefit from one squad mode per turn. This is one reason why you would choose not to participate in an ability early in the round if you plan on initiating/benefiting from a different one later in the round.

*There are a number of ways for members of other chapters to benefit from chapter modes, including but not limited to the Tactical marine special ability, the Talent 'Bonds of Brotherhood' from Rites of Battle.

I hope this helps.

#3 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Nathiel said:

Notes: a member can only benefit from one squad mode per turn. This is one reason why you would choose not to participate in an ability early in the round if you plan on initiating/benefiting from a different one later in the round.

Better check on that.

A Battle Brother may only benefit from ONE sustained ability at a time. And, by rules and extension, a Battle Brother may only sustain a single sustained ability at a time, and must drop the ability he is sustaining to either activate or benefit from another ability.

I know of no reference which states you may benefit from only one non-sustained ability a turn. But if it exists please put up a reference.

#4 Nathiel

Nathiel

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

P. 219 Squad Actions

"if a Battle-brother takes a Squad Mode Action or benefits from one taken by another member o his Kill-team, he cannot benefit from or take another Squad Mode Action untill at least the start of his next turn. Unless otherwise stated, all benefits of Squad Mode Abilities are Squad Actions."

There''s even an example on the next page.

in the errata: 

The following sentence should be added to
the end of the description: “A Battle-Brother may only sustain or
benefit from one Squad Mode ability at a time.”

#5 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the reference anyways. Always good to reference when you post things.

I think we were saying the same thing, just in different ways. Oh well, the information got through I think.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS