The game is dead

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Morbid666

Morbid666

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

There has been no news on this game scince 1/6/12. That is going on 4 months now. I think FFG has given up. I hope not but what else should i think.

#2 MaddockKrug

MaddockKrug

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hi.

Morbid666 said:

There has been no news on this game scince 1/6/12. That is going on 4 months now. I think FFG has given up. I hope not but what else should i think.

Maybe you are right. Also looking at all the broad and general criticism on the core-game, and considering the devastating incidents with the expansions it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?

But I would not want to draw conclusions based on these observations as well as the lack of announcements regarding this game yet. Having an eye on the MoM Forums on BGG I also recognize many people still discussing rules, content, strategies, etc. So the community is "on the game"; also MoM is a fair ranking on the BGG Forums. That's why I would like to consider this game not as being dead - at least not for now. Let's see what is going to happen after the summer-holidays, which would be the time to go into detail about new products and expansions in order to have new items on the store shelves for the X-Mas times ...

All the best!

Mad

For GM: Mad's Adventure, Adventure Hooks, NPCs, and Locations - same at RPGGEEK

SW, to me, is a Spaghetti Western with space ships for horses. No matter what you do it causes a problem.  You just might save the day.  Crazy heroics and adventure!

#3 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

You know I really don''t care as much about Forbidden Alchemy as much as I did the PoD commitments they were making, in which a PoD would get released every 2 months until the FA fiasco. I have all three and now I just wish they kept releasing ones that ignored FA.

#4 Richard U. Pickman

Richard U. Pickman

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

I don''t think this game is dead. The fact that the game is highly rated on bgg and that people keep playing it says it all. I was also surprised to see that the local game store advertised the game in the subways in sweden. (Wonder if they got some kind of compensation from ffg.) That also points to the game being pretty successful. 

Although i would welcome a release date or any status report from ffg.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

Yeah, seconded. I don''t think the game is dead at all. The core set sold very well, and it''s one of the game people still talk a lot. But I do think that FA fiasco is something FFG doesn''t want to repeat. A second fiasco could mean too many people abandoning the game, so I guess they are working pretty hard on something pretty huge, in order to have a real best seller as next expansion.

My guess, even considering the monster minis released for AH & MoM some months ago, is that we''ll see something Nyarlathotep related, with Masks and so on. But it''s just a guess.

In any case, I think we won''t see any new product out before September / October

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Neffer

Neffer

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

I disagree to.

I''ve come across a few player made scenarios. Also with the new arkham horror figures which can also be used with MoM I''d like to see alot more player made scenarios. Tiles are easy to create and easily printed out and stuck to a piece of card and cut out to blend in as are cards.

I have one idea on the drawing board so far where the investigators start in a garden area leading to the house upon entering the house and investigator could be picked up by some flying creature and carried off and in his/her struggle the creature drops them and the fall through the roof and land in the attik, upon trying to leave the attik  the player find that the door is locked from the other side ( ie the other investigators will have to free him). The attik would be a large area leaving the player to exsplore and not just left sitting there waiting for the others to free him and can tie in to the story some how.

Thats as far as ive gotten so far. I want to have a few more play throughs of the offical senarious to get a better feeling for the game before i go much further with it.

Heres a link to a list of player made scenarios I''ve found:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/67310/fan-created-stories-scenarios-for-mansions-of-madn

#7 chainsaw_ash

chainsaw_ash

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Why hasn't FFg killed this question flat by now unless they don't know themselves.

i reckon, after all the mistakes with the game, they are rethinking whether it should be continued.

i personally hope it will be but I also think, they should re-print all the errata and rectify all the problems with the game, with a complete revamp of the entire game.

I've played the game half a dozen times and as a keeper you always have to hold off.

I play the game as a DM would, in a RPG. I don't play it to beat the players but to have fun.

I'd like to see a more balanced game, that keeps the basic mechanics of the game but acknowledging the suggestions from the gaming community.

In future, I would like FFG to play test their games more, to prevent these problems occuring in the first place.

If they kill this game off, it will be a pity and they will be killing a good game, spoilt by a rush to get it to the market, before they had allowed proper play testing.

That wrong decision must lie with the people at the top of FFG and not the game designers IMHO.

#8 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

My feeling is that FFG would want to make sure anything they released after FA was as close to perfect as they could get. Since we recently (well, I guess 6 weeks is recent in gamer years lol) got the revised FA components, I would expect to see an announcement of some sort in the next few weeks. I can't imagine that FFG has stopped working on Mansions, but I would suspect that they are working to make sure the games has no more glaring mistakes.

#9 Doc Belmont

Doc Belmont

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

I hope I'm not being rude when I say this, but I'm really getting sick of seeing the "OMFG! Teh game is DEAD!1!1!" posts any time there is a 2+ month stretch since FFG has posted or released anything for a game.

There are other games that have gone longer than a measly 4 months without news. I must have seen this apocalyptic outcry of "the game is dead" at least ten times on the Talisman boards alone. Talisman has gone longer than SIX months without news before, and after that, we got "The Dragon." This expansion is usually the one that kills an edition of Talisman, but SEVEN months after that, we're got the announcement about the "Blood Moon" expansion.

Games that have sat on the drawing board for FFG for THREE YEARS have even seen releases. (Gears of War)

If it eases your worry, the POD expansion that lucky players were helping to design during last year's "Arkham Nights" still hasn't been released, so we should be getting something still at the VERY least.

Fantasy Flight Games pumps out a lot of games very quickly, and if you look at the titanic game list they have, even a release every other week would'nt exhaust their entire catalogue in even six months.

Just be patient. Have some faith!

#10 Columbob

Columbob

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

JerusalemJones said:

My feeling is that FFG would want to make sure anything they released after FA was as close to perfect as they could get. Since we recently (well, I guess 6 weeks is recent in gamer years lol) got the revised FA components, I would expect to see an announcement of some sort in the next few weeks. I can't imagine that FFG has stopped working on Mansions, but I would suspect that they are working to make sure the games has no more glaring mistakes.

This. The original game was already riddled with typos and errata. FA was even worse (apparently, as I have not bought it, nor will I, but that's another topic).

This isn't the first time their lack of quality control has killed a product though, see the poorly proofread/tested Descent Quest Compendium vol. 1 (there will never be a volume 2), so who knows?

However, this game is very dependent on new scenarios. The POD approach was probably the best and wisest for FFG.

#11 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:04 AM

If you've already played all 5 scenarios + 2 PoDs +FA in all configurations and objectives and roles and investigator characters, you may still have a lot of fun with amateur scenarios from Boardgamegeek or even french spoken adventures from http://epouvante.goldzoneweb.info/

#12 Columbob

Columbob

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

willmanx said:

If you've already played all 5 scenarios + 2 PoDs +FA in all configurations and objectives and roles and investigator characters, you may still have a lot of fun with amateur scenarios from Boardgamegeek or even french spoken adventures from http://epouvante.goldzoneweb.info/

There are now 4 PoDs, the latest was released just 2 weeks ago. How can anyone say this game is dead or unsupported?

#13 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

Columbob said:

There are now 4 PoDs, the latest was released just 2 weeks ago. How can anyone say this game is dead or unsupported?

Very much this. Sadly, if I were to name two "dead" games on the FFG roster, they would be Gears of War and Middle-Earth Quest, both huge favourites of mine, neither with anything new added to them since release (MEQ came out back in 09). Yet games that are "crap" (IMO of course) like Runewars, Rune Age (just so you don't think I'm anti-Terrinoth, I own Runebound + Dungeonquest ) have gotten them.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#14 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

DIS GAMES DED ALL GET TO DA CAR 

#15 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

That would be a shame…this game has so much potential I don't know why FFG would let MoM die a lonely death.

There's still people buying the flawed 1st edition of Forbbiden Alchemy! That alone should tell them that the player base still support the game.  It is so much more that just a board game, it's a Lovecratian novel played with friends.

If FFG let this game wither, i'd be one disappointed fan of them.

#16 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I do not believe that is the case. With the House of Fears release, I'd say the developers are taking notice still that the fan-base is present and willing to play still. Yesterday I enjoyed ruining my friend's time-travel hijinks in FA, and today I also enjoyed ruining his movie premiere in HF. Good times…

Favorite part of the game now is whoever plays the Photographer, Darrell Simmons, takes a group photo of the victims before their demise.

#17 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

Off topic a bit but which POD would you recommend getting first, in other words, which is the best?

I'm sure gonna get Forbidden Alchemy when it's re-released and corrected and I want to add another POD in the mix for the scenarios variety.

#18 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

SolennelBern said:

Off topic a bit but which POD would you recommend getting first, in other words, which is the best?

I'm sure gonna get Forbidden Alchemy when it's re-released and corrected and I want to add another POD in the mix for the scenarios variety.

Tough call. I did enjoy House of Fears a good deal the last I played it but kind of still want to see what the other scenarios do for that map. House of Fears though has a lot of unique and smart mechanics that make it a delightful experience. I also enjoyed Til' Death Do Us Part too. Season of the Witch was pretty fun but my least favorite was Silver Tablet. My friend wants to play Silver Tablet the next time we hang out but I just recall it being so incredibly difficult for Investigators to win (though I have also strangely heard it is the easiest; not sure why).

House of Fears probably would be my most likely to promote to you and anyone else, as the mechanics are unique and well-inspired. When playing it as the Keeper, I got chills. If you like ghosts and Hollywood's dark past (refer to: Cracked's 12 Classic Movie Moments Made Possible by Abuse and Murder, to get an idea), House of Fears's setting and theme is triumphant (especially if you watched and loved John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns). A close second is Til' Death Do Us Part, as it makes it more fair for the investigators to receive a win if that is a problem in your play group; plus, I love also the horrid details in Til' Death. If you like flesh-horror, like John Carpenter's The Thing series and David Cronnenberg's means of filming horror, you'd like Til' Death. Season of the Witch is all about pocket dimensions, monster teleportation, and player confusion/insanity inducing effects (very fun too). Silver Tablet is… a cult expansion, with a tablet. I will get back to you if I change my mind about ST, but I simply recommend it if you need (like me) a complete Mansions collection, but the remaining PoDs are excellent (as well FA if you can afford a copy for the new characters alone, which are pretty fun, along with some interesting scenarios); I could see any other Mansions fan making a sound argument in favor of House of Fears, Til' Death, or Season. Whichever you choose to buy by my synopsis I believe will lead you to a favorable result.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS