Jump to content



Photo

Something for FFG to think about further down the road.


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Another thought my gaming group is wondering about is if FFG will ever come out with Lieutenants ever again? We really like the idea of unique boss type characters that takes a group of heroes to defeat. I know this wouldn't happen right away, but maybe it is something for them to revisit further down the road. Since the price of pewter is going up in this bad economy maybe they could switch them to plastic.  They could sell them as plastic figures like in the City of Thieves and Adventures packs. You buy one pack and get eight or so Lieutenant figures with their cards. Just an idea I had. Any thoughts on the topic?



#2 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:07 PM

IronRavenstorm said:

Another thought my gaming group is wondering about is if FFG will ever come out with Lieutenants ever again? We really like the idea of unique boss type characters that takes a group of heroes to defeat. I know this wouldn't happen right away, but maybe it is something for them to revisit further down the road. Since the price of pewter is going up in this bad economy maybe they could switch them to plastic.  They could sell them as plastic figures like in the City of Thieves and Adventures packs. You buy one pack and get eight or so Lieutenant figures with their cards. Just an idea I had. Any thoughts on the topic?

Over on BGG you can see a set of tokens from 2E, one of which is a token featuring the face of Lord Merric Farrow.  So it's looking as if the lieutenants will be in 2E from the start (though only as a token).



#3 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

I saw that also, but I was wondering about them creating new ones to go along with their new themed enemy forces.  I really don't picture Lord Merric Farrow leading a host of goblins around.  It would be cool to see them create some goblin lieutenants to lead their goblin forces.  I really see FFG going in multiple directions from this new edition.  They can produce other big box expansions like what we saw before with new map pieces, heroes, enemy units, cards, and the rest of the whole works. 

Then I see them creating small box expansions with new units and cards.  I rather see them do that then have them be promotional items or sell them in a totally different game (Dungeon Quest).  Maybe they could create a small box that focuses on magic users.  You get some more new magic item cards, magic based heroes, and 7-13 magical enemy units with a lieutenant.  That is an example that they could possibly use that would work well with Lord Merric Farrow.  This could be done with other different type themes also.  They could even throw in a double sided sheet of paper with two quests to go along with the new units.  If I was working for them this would be my plan for the game.  I would believe this would make everyone happy. 

They would sell more products since they are not as expensive as a big box expansion, and players would feel more inclined to buy them to suit their own needs.  Heck, they might even buy more then one of the small box expansions to get more of the same units.  I know plenty of people who forced themselves to buy more then one copy of the original Descent for more tokens and stuff.   

This is just my dream for the future.



#4 radiskull

radiskull

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

 In the most recent preview, the Command ability mentions being near a "master monster or a lieutenant", so there are definitely lieutenants!



#5 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

I noticed that also.  Something else that caught my eye was the strange looking evil guy with the sword up above the goblin archer card.  At first I would have written him off as a hero (since the first game had evil looking heroes), but then I remembered that this preview is all about the OL.  Plus, they already showed us the eight new heroes for the new edition.  Now, I have the hunch that he might be a possible lieutenant???  He just does not have the look of a regular enemy unit.  I am crazy for thinking this???



#6 Jafix

Jafix

    Member

  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

 Well, 

iam hoping that he is a monster or lietuntant. If it is a overlord, i would be dissapointed. I am hoping for more "bad-ass" type of a overlord :)

But iam glad that lieutants are alive :)

 



#7 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

I still think that he is not a monster, but possibly a lieutenant or OL.  With goblins and other units I can picture them all having the same face, but with humans you would think that they would give them a neutral face (Like wearing a helmet or something).  His appearance is just to detailed and polished almost to the point of being a hero.  If he doesn't show up again I will be very confused on why they showed him in the first place. 



#8 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

 I'm just hoping one of the OL upgrades can be that kick-ass tattoo.



#9 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

Another thing that FFG might think about is maybe having the dragon from Dungeon Quest as a enemy for the second edition.  Out of all of the dragons that I have seen set in this world I think that he looks pretty BA. 



#10 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

IronRavenstorm said:

I noticed that also.  Something else that caught my eye was the strange looking evil guy with the sword up above the goblin archer card.  At first I would have written him off as a hero (since the first game had evil looking heroes), but then I remembered that this preview is all about the OL.  Plus, they already showed us the eight new heroes for the new edition.  Now, I have the hunch that he might be a possible lieutenant???  He just does not have the look of a regular enemy unit.  I am crazy for thinking this???

Sorry for the double post, but I totally called it with the new lieutenants.  I really like the the Splig & Zachareth, but I am not really feeling for the hybrid dragon man Belthir.  Also, it is pretty sweet that we can use the old lieutenants.  Thank you FFG



#11 Unclechawie

Unclechawie

    Member

  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

IronRavenstorm said:

IronRavenstorm said:

 

I noticed that also.  Something else that caught my eye was the strange looking evil guy with the sword up above the goblin archer card.  At first I would have written him off as a hero (since the first game had evil looking heroes), but then I remembered that this preview is all about the OL.  Plus, they already showed us the eight new heroes for the new edition.  Now, I have the hunch that he might be a possible lieutenant???  He just does not have the look of a regular enemy unit.  I am crazy for thinking this???

 

 

Sorry for the double post, but I totally called it with the new lieutenants.  I really like the the Splig & Zachareth, but I am not really feeling for the hybrid dragon man Belthir.  Also, it is pretty sweet that we can use  the old lieutenants.  Thank you FFG

 

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.



#12 Jafix

Jafix

    Member

  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

 No money wasted…sweeet :)



#13 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

Unclechawie said:

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.

 

I doubt we'll see the Kraken for instance.



#14 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

Columbob said:

Unclechawie said:

 

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

I doubt we'll see the Kraken for instance.

You never know.  "Water" is a monster trait in 2E, after all!



#15 Columbob

Columbob

    Member

  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

Bleached Lizard said:

Columbob said:

 

Unclechawie said:

 

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

I doubt we'll see the Kraken for instance.

 

 

You never know.  "Water" is a monster trait in 2E, after all!

 

Probably under-used too. Besides the Merriod, what critters from D1 will have that trait do you think?



#16 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

Columbob said:

Bleached Lizard said:

 

Columbob said:

 

Unclechawie said:

 

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

I doubt we'll see the Kraken for instance.

 

 

You never know.  "Water" is a monster trait in 2E, after all!

 

 

 

Probably under-used too. Besides the Merriod, what critters from D1 will have that trait do you think?

Probably just the ice wyrm and naga.



#17 klempad

klempad

    Member

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:34 AM

Columbob said:

Bleached Lizard said:

 

Columbob said:

 

Unclechawie said:

 

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

I doubt we'll see the Kraken for instance.

 

 

You never know.  "Water" is a monster trait in 2E, after all!

 

 

 

Probably under-used too. Besides the Merriod, what critters from D1 will have that trait do you think?

Hadley: I'm never gonna get to see a merman.
Sitterson: Dude, be thankful. Those things are terrifying. And the cleanup on them's a nightmare.



#18 Steve-O

Steve-O

    Member

  • Members
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

klempad said:

 

Hadley: I'm never gonna get to see a merman.
Sitterson: Dude, be thankful. Those things are terrifying. And the cleanup on them's a nightmare.

Well played, sir.  Well played. =)



#19 IronRavenstorm

IronRavenstorm

    Member

  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

Columbob said:

Unclechawie said:

 

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

I doubt we'll see the Kraken for instance.

So this begs the question.  Which lieutenants are going to make the cut???  We already know that Lord Merick Farrow made the cut, so here is my list of those I think might make it: Sir Alric Farrow, Krieg the Relentless, Gata the White Death, Lady Eliza Farrow, Kar-Amag-Atoth, Slaggorrath (I originally did not think he was going to make it, but with the introduction now of Cave Spiders I think he is safe), Thaadd the Destroyer, Kratz the Plague, Darkwind, and Sweetheart. 

It will be interesting to see if any of them play into the story of the second edition, or if they will be kinda side characters.

I don't really hate the Dragon Hybrid, but I would have loved to see him as a possible hero instead.  I kinda feel sad that the main box of heroes are three humans, two elves, one orc, one dwarf, and one halfling.  I would have liked to see more non human looking heroes. 

 



#20 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:03 AM

IronRavenstorm said:

Columbob said:

 

Unclechawie said:

 

The preview states that we will be able to use "certain" lieutenants from the 1st Edition, meaning that only some of them will be available.  The next question is which one.  Also, I'm loving the Dragon Hybrid and based on the preview, it looks like Zachareth may be an Lieutenant Ally?!!!!!  Can't wait to see how this plays out.

 

 

 

I doubt we'll see the Kraken for instance.

 

 

So this begs the question.  Which lieutenants are going to make the cut???  We already know that Lord Merick Farrow made the cut, so here is my list of those I think might make it: Sir Alric Farrow, Krieg the Relentless, Gata the White Death, Lady Eliza Farrow, Kar-Amag-Atoth, Slaggorrath (I originally did not think he was going to make it, but with the introduction now of Cave Spiders I think he is safe), Thaadd the Destroyer, Kratz the Plague, Darkwind, and Sweetheart. 

It will be interesting to see if any of them play into the story of the second edition, or if they will be kinda side characters.

I don't really hate the Dragon Hybrid, but I would have loved to see him as a possible hero instead.  I kinda feel sad that the main box of heroes are three humans, two elves, one orc, one dwarf, and one halfling.  I would have liked to see more non human looking heroes. 

 

I'd like more undead heroes, along the lines of Varikas.  :)






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS