Warfare Terrain

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jasdc1

jasdc1

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

In all the pictures of battlefields they have awesome looking terrain. Is there a tutorial anywhere showing how to make the buildings from the pics. They look nothing like the building kits FFG put out.

#2 Tequila Sousa

Tequila Sousa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

there are different ways to go about it. first you can go to modelling stores, train sets are always a good find, to find pieces of terrian. remember the scale is 1:48.  also there are online stores that specialize in this sort of thing, I think GW has a bunch of stuff you can buy that looks similar. last if you still want to build it yourself, just google different thinks like tabletop terrian and such.

this link is one link i found that gives you some examples to use

http://www.tabletop-...gory/tutorials/

#3 Clutch

Clutch

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Don't over think things when you make tabletop terrain. You can do some awesome things with scrap stryofoam, cardboard, paint and flock. Hit youtube and look around. There a a ton of terrain making videos out there that will help out.

#4 zuggzugg

zuggzugg

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I made this wall out of thick plastic sheets that I have. You can just scale this up and make the whole building easily.

Same stuff to make this corner piece. These I made for Tactics but again, just cut the full size of building walls instead. Glue in floors where you want them.

#5 zuggzugg

zuggzugg

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Also I have to give credit to the person I got the idea from.

This guy butts heads with a lot of people and plays his own version of the game. He makes a lot of cool stuff.

#6 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Gale force nine as a cool line of items if your not artistic

#7 Snowshadow

Snowshadow

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

@adlerhobby: wow.

#8 GrumpyBatman

GrumpyBatman

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

IMHO, the Battlefield in a Box terrain is the best buy for what you get. They have tons of stuff. I just bought a couple boxes of tank traps today. 

#9 felkor

felkor

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

DW will be my first miniatures game, and I also went big with Battlefield in a Box.  I've picked up 2 of the river expansions (fords and island), as well as the large gothic ruins pictures above, the large rock, and the rocky outcrops.  For the price, they are really nice, and there is no work to be done on them (unless you want to add some grass.)

#10 Feldwebel_Francis

Feldwebel_Francis

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

There are a few links here for terrain. javascript:void(0);/*1335000715821*/

#11 zuggzugg

zuggzugg

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

What do you guys think of stuff like this► 

1/35 scale ruined buildings

I know bulldoguk has bought some diff 1/35 scale stuff. Anyone else have good luck w/ these► I''d like to see some size comparisons.

#12 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

zuggzugg said:

What do you guys think of stuff like this? 

1/35 scale ruined buildings

I know bulldoguk has bought some diff 1/35 scale stuff. Anyone else have good luck w/ these? I''''d like to see some size comparisons.

In a huge scenery building fan, and love trying new stuff  I often find 1/35 scale items a bit on the small side (vs 1/48 & 28 & 30 -MM family) compared to other gaming kits BUT thats not a bad thing at all i=under sized buildings is a common practice for table table top gaming it . its called "Forced prospective" its a cool trick to make thing work / look right. dont use any 1/35 scale figures and it should work fine. allow the game minatures to dictate the look of it and you should be good.

Thing that go well to gether are 28mm , 30 mm and 32mm   scales that are close are 1/48 1/50 model train stuff - 0 scale and S-scale try finding some plastic ville train item for easy to paint kits for buildings and die cast cars in 1 50 to make wreckage with beat it with a hammer and prime it black your done..LOL

One trick is try doing ruined building with out any doors from the off scale kits, the doors are the thing that makes it look off, But a 28mm guy next to a 1/35 scale door and "just aint right" that second building you show is a good fit cause you dont have a door to mess with the "forced prospective"…hope this makes sense and helps!

#13 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

I''''ve been looking for some terrain too at Salute in UK this saturday, and to be honest its ridiculously expensive. Now my goal here is to have modular board so I can put things wherever I want. So I am gonna just lay a white sheet or felt cloth on the table and make terrain on bases like couple of trees together on a base etc, so I can custom make a board everytime I want. So here what I found so far

I picked some spruce trees from Noch 60-150mm, 25 in a pack, they look big enough and some are realy tiny so interesting looking stuff, I also bought 170-200mm and think those are big, only one would fit on tactics square but on a bigger table maybe they would fit fine (I think those ones are correct scale as well) althou I like the other pack better because of  variety.

Next thing I wanted to add was some hills and here I think I''''ll do some myself, I found easy and inexpensive technique, with some plaster (I think I will stick it to polystyrene or on the newspaper to reduce weight ) www.youtube.com/watch , or here more advanced www.youtube.com/watch , also you have to look at how the guy from woodland scenics paint the stuff and make winter theme, amazing www.youtube.com/watch .

So here we got scenics covered, I think I''''ll start simple themes to start playing, some hills and trees, maybe a pilbox, objective marker etc. to start playing and as I go along add new stuff, and slowly build new elements, add roads, and buildings to make cities so on.

I also found this company to produce cheap terrain www.amera.co.uk/product.php they are plastic so weight nothing, I found their trench system to be excelent, they are not very detailed but for this price I am happy with it, I will add some pieces, crates, sand, and rocks to make it more interesting myself when I will be about to paint it. I couldn''''t decide if their buildings were right size, they looked a little bit too big, dunno.

More stuff… set of sandbags by pegasus hobby, they are prepainted and I think that for the money they are great, they have nice detail to them that looks like real canvas. www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Hobbies-Prepainted-Sandbags-Corners/dp/B000P8GL0A/ref=sr_1_2 corners are better because if you put 4 together you will get circle.

And here is what can add some detail to your scenery Tamiya 1:48 road sign set

And last thing I picked some V2 rockets of ebay !! oh yes they are sweet, and easy to assemble also by pegasus hobbies, I think any vehicle in 1:48 scale will be ok. So next I will buy a tank and destroy it, and a german car. keep the ideas comming, lets make beautifull battlefields

#14 zuggzugg

zuggzugg

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

wow these looks nice.

I want to buy all this stuff! I wish I could see it on a table or in person somehow.

#15 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Those are Verlinden Kits right►►►►

Those are for model builders and are made of a odd plaster they may not hold up well to handling ( I have some in stock so I know whats in  the boxes LOL)

#16 adlerhobby

adlerhobby

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Material:

Plastic

Scale:

54mm

Soldier Type:

Infantry

USA

Type:

Toy Soldiers

Period:

World War II

Manufacturer:

BMC

Product Type:

Tank

Size:

54mm (1/32nd scale)
Plasitc toy tanks for making wrecks with is a cheap option at about 10.00 each

#17 zuggzugg

zuggzugg

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Some are. Some say they are made of resin.

#18 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

Warlord has some great 28mm WWII terrain for their Blot-Action line.  They are about the right scale and have more coming out, but the Battlefield in a box from GF9 is fantastic for the prices.

http://store.warlord...rrain-261-c.asp

#19 Amera Plastic Mouldings

Amera Plastic Mouldings

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

In terms of Amera terrain, as you've been kind enough to be discussing and sharing pictures on this thread, we are getting great feedback that its' ideal for Dust Warfare, as visitors to our stand in Salute said.

And do visit our  facebook site: https://www.facebook.../33977349607583

we've got pictures of it on tables, as you mentioned would  be great to dee, one here, more on the website and facebook, hope helpful

Jane from Amera Plastic Mouldings

#20 Galadhir

Galadhir

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

I've been looking for a watch tower and found this:

It's  www.deepcutstudio.com/ design, I found it on ebay, it came from Lithuania, cost about £10 plus £2 p&p. 7'' Tall, platform at 5'' so higher than a walker, comftably fits 6 figure squad, not a great deal of detail on it, but looks ok. I will probably build some walls to 5'' hight and watchtowers could easily stick above them. 

Another cool thing I found is pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Peg.-Plastic-Model-Kits-E-Z-Snapz-Airplanes/c7_19/p63/%238416-1/48-V-2-Rocket/product_info.html  V2 rocket, 

easy to put together don't even require glueing, 1/48 scale fairly cheap. Youtube vid - www.youtube.com/watch , 13'' high

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS