Drifting off in the middle of a session.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

How many other GM's out there have done this?  

Your in the middle of a game providing a critical description of something and you just kind of slowly trail off and forget what your saying and the game grinds to a halt.  Your players look at you expectantly then at each other then back to you for like 5 minutes before you keep going.

#2 Vandegraffe

Vandegraffe

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

One word:  caffeine.  Nourishing, life-giving caffeine.  It's quite effective in preventing that scenario.  And yes, I do speak from experience.

(Of course, you could try to prepare a little in advance and get adequate sleep, but where's the fun in that?)

Cheers,

- V.

#3 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

Considering what's in that thread you posted in the main RT forum, ieatdeadpeople, I don't think a lack of sleep is the problem!

#4 Fearandloathing

Fearandloathing

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

Vandegraffe said:

One word:  caffeine.  Nourishing, life-giving caffeine.  It's quite effective in preventing that scenario.  And yes, I do speak from experience.

(Of course, you could try to prepare a little in advance and get adequate sleep, but where's the fun in that?)

Cheers,

- V.

Agreed!

#5 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

Caffeine, plenty of notes to refer to, and either audio/musical or scent cues to keep you on track. Much easier to remember stuff if you've done your prep-work and had the same scent in your nostrils then and at a session.

Also- plenty of fast burning carbs in the run-up to/during a session should help keep you awake (and it's an excuse to have a bag of GM-only sweets).

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#6 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Yes, but in my case it was so bad I was starting to repeat myself. My players told me to go sit down and arranged a driver for me - I was badly sleep deprived and my grandmother had died that week, so I wasn't at my best.

#7 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

It's not always possible, but making sure you've had sleep and food prior to a game and not letting it run on too long are good ideas. If I'm tired enough that I'm flailing beyond recovery, I usually call a halt to a session. Until then, I run on tea and the murder of (N)PCs.

#8 UberMutant

UberMutant

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

Are you drifting off because your tired or because you lost the thread of the plot►

Tiredness is dealt with easily enough by grabbing an early night the night before the gamesession, a few fortifying caffine drinks and a decent meal. My body is usually held together at the moment with a delicate balance of sugar, caffine and ibuprofen but sleep and good food are essential to keeping you able to function. I usually have two bottles of Pepsi next to me at the table when running a game for several important reasons.

1. LID! This way you do not spill it if you knock it over (spill liquids on my books and I WILL beat you to death with my chair ;) ).

2. Its sugar and caffine! Keeps you awake and means by the final encounter I''m a little hyperactive and eager for player deaths in a suitably brutal fashion.

3. I''m not allowed it at home (my wife does not enjoy having a 27 year old hyperactive in the house, we have enough trouble with the kids)

Another major tiredness buster (if its warm enough) is open a window and have some fresh air. Helps clear the head wonderfully.

Loosing the plot is harder to deal with but again, a problem I often have due to being immensly forgetfull. The key is your prep. Read the rules, read the adventure, make extra notes, practice an unsual rule your thinking of using or a creature you havn''t used before (all to often its after the players slay it, that you remeber the monster has regeneration or something like that). I will even write the rules into my notes so I don''t forget.

Of course any written plot goes out of the window the minute you let players near it, whenever you play (and my goodness me I am the same) you leave your common sense and intelligence at the door. Be ready to improvise and wing it, I have 3 spare star systems, 3 spare planets, 3 spare enemy starships and a bucketfull of random encounters in the file, ready to go at a moments notice.

Finally, if your flagging, the players are flagging, the table chat is getting off topic too much or all of the above, maybe just take a break, 10 mins or so, stand up, walk outside for some fresh air, maybe a cup of tea or snack, cigarette stop for those who smoke and so on. Everyone gets back to the table feeling more awake and ready to play.

Good Luck :)

#9 Ale Golem

Ale Golem

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

ShadowFighter88 said:

Considering what''s in that thread you posted in the main RT forum, ieatdeadpeople, I don''t think a lack of sleep is the problem!

In case everyone offering this GM tons of useful advice missed it, the OP had posted a topic in the Rogue Trader forums advocating drug use during play. He included several, wildly inappropriate, pictures to drive home his opinion and has since been banned from the forums. Keep the good advice coming but know that it''s not doing this particular individual any good.

#10 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

I see. Thanks for the heads up Ale Golem.

#11 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

Unknown said:

How many other GM's out there have done this?  

Your in the middle of a game providing a critical description of something and you just kind of slowly trail off and forget what your saying and the game grinds to a halt.  Your players look at you expectantly then at each other then back to you for like 5 minutes before you keep going.

When you are at a convention you will either need sleep or Emperor-blessed coffeine, there's no way around it I'm afraid.

#12 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Ale Golem said:

ShadowFighter88 said:

Considering what''s in that thread you posted in the main RT forum, ieatdeadpeople, I don''t think a lack of sleep is the problem!

In case everyone offering this GM tons of useful advice missed it, the OP had posted a topic in the Rogue Trader forums advocating drug use during play. He included several, wildly inappropriate, pictures to drive home his opinion and has since been banned from the forums. Keep the good advice coming but know that it''s not doing this particular individual any good.

Only good thing to come from that thread was showing me just how many images a post on this forum can handle.  Sure, I'm not gonna be making any massive image dumps but it'll be good to know in-case someone ever starts a motivational posters thread.

#13 Fearandloathing

Fearandloathing

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

I don't really understand why that thread got deleted.  It was pretty funny and if some one posts something you don't like you don't have to read it…

#14 Fearandloathing

Fearandloathing

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ale Golem said:

Heres a picture ieatdeadpeople posted followed by art which GW made and ffg has used in some of its books.

One has an attractive girl bitting a bag of weed and smiling the other some how manages to combine violence, nudity, blood, gore, sado-masachism and borderline satanic imagery.

Now I ask you Alegolem which is wildly innapropriate?

#15 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Fearandloathing said:

Ale Golem said:

Heres a picture ieatdeadpeople posted followed by art which GW made and ffg has used in some of its books.

One has an attractive girl bitting a bag of weed and smiling the other some how manages to combine violence, nudity, blood, gore, sado-masachism and borderline satanic imagery.

Now I ask you Alegolem which is wildly innapropriate?

Well for a start, the second picture is actually related to the game this is a forum for.  Other than that, it's the same as on any other game's forum - drugs in the game are fine to discuss but real-life stuff is out of the question, certainly when it's glorified the way ieatdeadpeople's original post was.  Yeah, it feels like a strange double-standard but those were the restrictions we agreed to when we signed up to the forum - this place has rules and we agreed to abide by them when we signed up and said we'd read the Terms & Conditions.  We can lodge complaints about rules we deem unfair or overly harsh, but this is FFG's forums and it's their rules.  If they don't want real-life drugs discussed here, then they don't get discussed here; it's that simple.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS